6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo won't stop hunting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo won't stop hunting!!!

Well my Turbo is acting a fool again!

After replacing the HPOP a month or so ago, the bellows decided to let lose on the y-pipe. Which started my Turbo hunting and a P132b code.

This past week my 15 yr old and I replaced the up pipes with a BD Diesel kit. Which after my son redid his part of the job 4 times, we had it licked and running awesome with no codes and zero turbo hunting.

Fast forward to Sunday night coming home from my sisters 30 miles away. I jump on it to pass a slow moving vehicle or 3 and BOOOM! Lots of hissing and no boost on the gauge! Yep we didn't tighten that HAC clamp at the turbo enough.

Get the boot and clamp back on and head to the local parts store slowly to borrow a ratchet and socket. All we could muster from the state trooper was a pair of pliers.

Check the codes after we tighten the clamp and had a P132b. Cleared it and drove it home 25 minutes away and no code but the turbo is hunting. 85% down to 14%. So I reload the stock tune, double check all the clamps on the up pipe kit and pull the battery cables and turn the headlight switch to on. I go inside for an hour or so and go back out and hook up the cables.

I check the codes and the usual P603 is there. I clear it, start the truck let it run 10 mins and then take it for a ride. Pull up to a stop and the turbo goes into hunt mode! Drive it about a half hour and stop. Check codes and find the normal RGR code since I am deleted and the reocurring P132b. I clear those and drive back home 35 minutes. I check the codes and nothing not even the P132B but the damn turbo is hunting again!

I check the wiring, and turbo connections and nothing! No leaks, errors or drips. I reload my custom tune and drive it. It hunts less but is still hunting!

I am at a lose here! I had it running fine for 2 days. No issues until that clamp let the boot slip!

What am I missing?

Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Well my Turbo is acting a fool again!

After replacing the HPOP a month or so ago, the bellows decided to let lose on the y-pipe. Which started my Turbo hunting and a P132b code.

This past week my 15 yr old and I replaced the up pipes with a BD Diesel kit. Which after my son redid his part of the job 4 times, we had it licked and running awesome with no codes and zero turbo hunting.

Fast forward to Sunday night coming home from my sisters 30 miles away. I jump on it to pass a slow moving vehicle or 3 and BOOOM! Lots of hissing and no boost on the gauge! Yep we didn't tighten that HAC clamp at the turbo enough.

Get the boot and clamp back on and head to the local parts store slowly to borrow a ratchet and socket. All we could muster from the state trooper was a pair of pliers.

Check the codes after we tighten the clamp and had a P132b. Cleared it and drove it home 25 minutes away and no code but the turbo is hunting. 85% down to 14%. So I reload the stock tune, double check all the clamps on the up pipe kit and pull the battery cables and turn the headlight switch to on. I go inside for an hour or so and go back out and hook up the cables.

I check the codes and the usual P603 is there. I clear it, start the truck let it run 10 mins and then take it for a ride. Pull up to a stop and the turbo goes into hunt mode! Drive it about a half hour and stop. Check codes and find the normal RGR code since I am deleted and the reocurring P132b. I clear those and drive back home 35 minutes. I check the codes and nothing not even the P132B but the damn turbo is hunting again!

I check the wiring, and turbo connections and nothing! No leaks, errors or drips. I reload my custom tune and drive it. It hunts less but is still hunting!

I am at a lose here! I had it running fine for 2 days. No issues until that clamp let the boot slip!

What am I missing?
PCM is programmed to vary the turbo vanes at idle to fight sticking. As long as it isn't hunting while driving its fine

Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
How is the EGR Deleated

My 03 is Deleated but Never a DTC

Old 05-16-2016, 10:29 AM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
map hose ok?

Old 05-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BLADE35
How is the EGR Deleated

My 03 is Deleated but Never a DTC
Originally the up pipe was capped and the EGR cooler removed with an IPR GEN 2 kit with the EGR still in the manifold and plugged in.

Now it is with a BD Diesel up pipe kit, EGR cooler removed with an IPR GEN 2 kit with the EGR still in the manifold and plugged in.

I didn't have a hissing noise until after I did the HPOP. I had to get the truck reflashed because I lost my stock tune when I updated the tuner. The truck wouldn't relearn until I fixed the exhaust leak. Did that this past week and all was good for a few days until charge boot/pipe blew off due to the clamp not being tight.

So I will get back under the hood and check the EBP tube and map hose again.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
What values am i looking for on the ebp?

Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
What values am i looking for on the ebp?

mines inferred stratigy ebp

my gauge don't read it

you have Different programing installed since you lost the tune a Huge reason I stay out the dealer plus I prefer to do my own work But I understand you had no choice

Old 05-16-2016, 05:20 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
what was it Boosting right before you lost CAC Boot

Old 05-16-2016, 07:20 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it wasn't an 03 I'd say EBP.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:27 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
EBP/BARO/MAP around 14.7 KOEO
EBP at idle around 15-17 and goes up with throttle.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BLADE35
what was it Boosting right before you lost CAC Boot
Not sure had the scan gauge looking at something else.

It never went over 24 after we got it all together. I think it is time to order all new boots and clamps. 216k and everything is original except for the boot at the turbo. I popped the hood looking for an exhaust manifold like that I am hearing and noticed the clamp had shifted and the boot was pushing off again.

So we put it back on and ran the clamp down with an electric ratchet.

Driving down the road at 70 MPG and 2k the VGT fluctuates between 35-40. Come to a stop and then goes to 65, then to 85 and drops back to around 50 then to 14. It then goes back to 60 until I pull away.

I never noticed the fluctuation until the y pipe gave up the ghost and my stock tune got corrupted. With the busted flex joints the fluctuation made a hissing noise.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:32 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
lets see if I get close here

You truck ran fine until the original problem of the Flex joints in the uppipe Began to Leak??

Things haven't gotten Back to Normal Since???

If so Id say you still have a Leak
What parts was used to replace uppipe The Aftermarket world sells Crap Exhaust Manafold to Up pipe Clamps in theory they work but you have to suck it up Evenly alternating to each bolt as you tighten (Work them together) maybe you didn't plat with that Joint IDK

Just for Kicks since an 03 we use MAF over EBP AFAIK

MAF Voltage (volts)
TXD: 07E0221177
RXF: 046245110677
RXD: 3010
MTH: 000100250000
NAM: MFV

MAF
Mass Air Flow

Same as the rest get a Value @ KOEO @ Idle @ 2500rpm
post 3 Value for Maf or compare against this spec

Lets say for the time being that Max Boost output looks Good @ 24psi

Old 05-16-2016, 10:36 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
P132b is a BUGGER

Have you Checked the CAC Cooler and Tubes?? for Leaks

Turbo Cleaned??

How Far have you gone with it??

Old 05-17-2016, 12:02 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Well the Y into the turbo is leaking!

My 15 yr old short cut a few steps when I wasn't looking! He is mad that I am making him redo things! I am getting mad that we are redoing things! But we have all but this issue solved.

Quick Reply: Turbo won't stop hunting!!!