6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No start after fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Robert Siebert
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start after fuel filter change

Hey All, OK so I have a 2004 F-250 changed out both fuel filters and now can't get it to run. It will start up and run for about a minute then stall out. I have cycled the key/pump numerous times with no luck. When I look into the fuel bowl when I engage the pump it looks like it's pushing more air rather than fuel. It seems to be burning the fuel in the bowl and then stalling out. When I take the bowl cap off after it stalls it's empty.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 AM
FL SuperDuty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure the fuel filter on the frame rail is snugged up all the way flush against the housing until it will not turn anymore. I had to use a cheater to get it to tighten all the way

Old 05-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Robert Siebert
New User
Originally Posted by FL SuperDuty
Make sure the fuel filter on the frame rail is snugged up all the way flush against the housing until it will not turn anymore. I had to use a cheater to get it to tighten all the way
It tightened up nice..no leaks/drips

Old 05-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Robert Siebert
New User
Seems to be a quick and easy process for most.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:47 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 421 Likes on 279 Posts
And there were no running issues that caused you to do the filters in the 1st place, correct?

Is the pump running when the engine dies? (you should hear it) and also check to see if it is hot. I'm wondering if you have crud on your pick-up screen in the tank...

When and where did you last get fuel?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Robert Siebert
New User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
And there were no running issues that caused you to do the filters in the 1st place, correct?

Is the pump running when the engine dies? (you should hear it) and also check to see if it is hot. I'm wondering if you have crud on your pick-up screen in the tank...

When and where did you last get fuel?
I recently acquired the truck. Apparently the fuel gauge is a bit off. I ran it pretty low, low enough to stall it out. Inched to the gas station. After that it seemed to idle a bit rough. I thought maybe I picked something up out of the tank so I decided to start with new filters.......yes the pump is running when it stalls....shell fuel station

Old 05-15-2016, 12:08 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Robert Siebert
I recently acquired the truck. Apparently the fuel gauge is a bit off. I ran it pretty low, low enough to stall it out. Inched to the gas station. After that it seemed to idle a bit rough. I thought maybe I picked something up out of the tank so I decided to start with new filters.......yes the pump is running when it stalls....shell fuel station
Inching to the gas station was it running rough on little fuel and/or stalls and restarts too? The fuel pump could be damaged...

Decent size (volume) Shell station? As in they sell a fair amount of diesel for that area? I'm thinking if so you likely didn't get the problem with the new fuel, tho crud could still be stuck to the pick-up screen...

Old 05-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Robert Siebert
New User
Inching to the gas station was it running rough on little fuel and/or stalls and restarts too? The fuel pump could be damaged...

Decent size (volume) Shell station? As in they sell a fair amount of diesel for that area? I'm thinking if so you likely didn't get the problem with the new fuel, tho crud could still be stuck to the pick-up screen...
Yes it's a pretty busy station. Well ever since that low fuel stall it idles rough and also when the overdrive engages while traveling, when the rpms get below 1500 it also runs rough. So the pump could be damaged yet still try to pump fuel? I guess I just figured it either worked or it didn't. And if you could hear it then it was working?

Old 05-15-2016, 12:54 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Robert Siebert
Yes it's a pretty busy station. Well ever since that low fuel stall it idles rough and also when the overdrive engages while traveling, when the rpms get below 1500 it also runs rough. So the pump could be damaged yet still try to pump fuel? I guess I just figured it either worked or it didn't. And if you could hear it then it was working?
Yes, before it totally fails it could still be trying to pump fuel, or there is crud on the pick-up and it can't get enough.

What is inconsistent with all this: is the low rpm problem but fine at higher rpm? I could understand that if we toasted an injector or 2 (which is possible, they don't like to run dry), but you are reporting an empty fuel bowl, so the HFCM is not getting enough from the tank, or not pumping enough to keep it running -- so that is the opposite of what I'd have expected as your pre-filter change running problems, where it would starve as rpms increased. You may have more than one thing going on here...

Did you use Motorcraft or Racor fuel filters? Was there much crud in the HFCM? Wondering if we could have got any between HFCM and upper fuel bowl...

Are you set up to read live data from your truck? There are readily available things like Scangauge II or Smart Phone apps like Torque or Dashboss and also laptop programs like Forscan. We should make sure your FICM and other readings are healthy....

Old 05-15-2016, 01:05 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Likely the pump(HFCM) will still try to pump just can't get the job done properly. You really need a way to check what the fuel pressure is so that means a trip to a shop if you don't have the means to do so. Do the blue spring upgrade either way, if it has not been done already, countless threads on the benefit of doing it and it's a cheap, pretty easy mod to perform. Be sure if you take in to a shop or dealer they know how to work on a 6.0....you will know when they listen to you with some interest when describing the issues and don't look at you like you have two heads. If they diagnose and tell you it's time for head gaskets, run like the wind and don't look back.
As for your rough running issue, depending on the health of your injectors you may have one or more that didn't like being starved for fuel, and now are voicing their displeasure. 6.0 injectors can be funny that way, as well as a real hatred for a FICM that is not providing ample power for the coils. Not saying this is the case for sure, just a possibility. Might still all be tied to a weak HFCM. Don't run the truck anymore than you absolutely need to at this point until you can pinpoint the problem.
One more thing, most folks will tell you don't run below a 1/4 tank in these trucks, gas or diesel, countless threads on this issue as well.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Rsiebert
Junior User
Yes, before it totally fails it could still be trying to pump fuel, or there is crud on the pick-up and it can't get enough.

What is inconsistent with all this: is the low rpm problem but fine at higher rpm? I could understand that if we toasted an injector or 2 (which is possible, they don't like to run dry), but you are reporting an empty fuel bowl, so the HFCM is not getting enough from the tank, or not pumping enough to keep it running -- so that is the opposite of what I'd have expected as your pre-filter change running problems, where it would starve as rpms increased. You may have more than one thing going on here...

Did you use Motorcraft or Racor fuel filters? Was there much crud in the HFCM? Wondering if we could have got any between HFCM and upper fuel bowl...

Are you set up to read live data from your truck? There are readily available things like Scangauge II or Smart Phone apps like Torque or Dashboss and also laptop programs like Forscan. We should make sure your FICM and other readings are healthy....
Well I just tried the fuel pump again sounds like it is working but if I watch the bowl it seems to be pumping nothing but air.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Rsiebert
Junior User
Fuel gauge is reading half full but I'm not totally sure that this is correct. The tank sounds empy to me when I knock on it. I'm gonna get some fuel and try that.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Rsiebert
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rsiebert
Fuel gauge is reading half full but I'm not totally sure that this is correct. The tank sounds empy to me when I knock on it. I'm gonna get some fuel and try that.
No luck there... Gauge now reads 3/4 and still pumping nothing but air.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:31 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
That would be ironic -- I had the impression around post #5 of this thread (your other user id), that you had just filled it up and decided to start by changing fuel filters, as in: the tank was at a known, pretty full level.

Yes I'd make sure I knew you had fuel, and while some have been successful at fixing their level senders (Yahiko had a good write up on how he did his), others just replace the unit AND while you are there, do the "Harpoon" mod on the vent line in the tank. Either way if you get in the tank you'll see what is in there.

Hope it runs with fuel , then we can tackle what probably is a different issue...

Old 05-15-2016, 02:35 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
No luck there... Gauge now reads 3/4 and still pumping nothing but air.
Taking nothing for granted here: you added fuel to the tank, right? If so your pick-up is clogged or your pump is toast. What brand filters did you use? How much crap was in the HFCM when you pulled the lower filter?

Quick Reply: No start after fuel filter change