Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5 ecoboost vs. V8 on lifted truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Sir Aaron
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kinda like the bells and whistles. Frankly, the best thing I did to the F250 was putting in the navigation unit with the CarApp. But I didn't like the truck at all until I made a lot of cosmetic changes. It still rides kinda rough for me and it's huge to park. We use about half the bed, although we've put a lot of junk in that bed.

F150 seems better for getting around town plus more comfortable on the inside.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the 5.0 with 3.55s and don't feel I lost a lot of get up due to larger tire......in reality a 35 is only about 1.5" in circumference than a stock 32......mpg did take a hit but on longer freeway rides upper teens is not a problem.....as far as cutting frame it's not what it sounds like it's section of crossmember honestly what's in mine now is way beefier than the stock parts....I like you had a Superduty (99 F250) I drove this F150 stock for two years and was on verge of buying the new aluminum body style when I had a change of heart and decided to lift this one and keep it longer ( how long is yet to be determined ) the ride did change a bit with lift before it was like any newer F150 almost had a sedan like feel to it now it's just a lil more truck like but still 10x better than the Superduty.....hope this helps you.....and also I must say this truck with lift and tires is a 1000x more a head turner than before, lots of envious looks from the guys and looks of lust from the ladies

Old 05-11-2016, 11:38 PM
JKBrad
Received 810 Likes on 595 Posts
Great looking truck and a perfect example of, what I think, is the most a late model F150 should be lifted. Any bigger requires substantially deeper pockets and drastically decreases it's overall usability and driveability.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:51 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Great looking truck and a perfect example of, what I think, is the most a late model F150 should be lifted. Any bigger requires substantially deeper pockets and drastically decreases it's overall usability and driveability.
Thanks.....I agree 6" with 35s is about perfect for the F150 ..... I do like the monsters though with 12" and 38/15.50 tires but they are not practical in real world (at least not for me )......if someone was looking for truck to be "big" I'd steer them towards a Superduty with 6" or 8" lift....but there is no getting around the facts a lifted truck is compromising it overall abilities some guys don't like to hear that or will argue differently but it's true.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron
I'm looking at a new 2016 F-150. I'm going to put a 6" lift on it. I have a choice between the V6 ecoboost and the V8. I can't really decide. One video I saw said that people would be disappointed with the V6 on a lift with bigger tires vs. the V-8. I'm starting to think that seems a bit improbable. I can't imagine that you'd see any bigger loss in power or mpg than you would with the V-8.

I'd appreciate some input, however.
I've had the opportunity to drive both EB and V8 lifted and leveled, several different trucks, for thousands of miles, empty and towing.

In every instance, the EB suffered the larger fuel economy drop, to the point that the V8 would get same or slightly better mileage. As far as power goes, the EB still felt like it had a bit more oomf, especially with a trailer behind it.

Fuel economy differences between the two weren't much, so if you're trying to go by which one will give you the better fuel economy in the end, it's nearly a coin toss. The V8 might save you half a MPG, maybe more if you're in turbo quite a bit on the EB.

I don't own an F-150, but hopefully this helps you out.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Sir Aaron
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
I've had the opportunity to drive both EB and V8 lifted and leveled, several different trucks, for thousands of miles, empty and towing.

In every instance, the EB suffered the larger fuel economy drop, to the point that the V8 would get same or slightly better mileage. As far as power goes, the EB still felt like it had a bit more oomf, especially with a trailer behind it.

Fuel economy differences between the two weren't much, so if you're trying to go by which one will give you the better fuel economy in the end, it's nearly a coin toss. The V8 might save you half a MPG, maybe more if you're in turbo quite a bit on the EB.

I don't own an F-150, but hopefully this helps you out.

Thanks! I'm starting to get this. Did the axle ratio make any difference? I notice that the 3.55 in the V-6 Ecoboost isn't as plentiful. For that matter, I've seen some V-8s also have lower axle ratios.

The dealer is telling me that the Excursions? all have ecoboost.

Anyways, sounds like the V-8 vs. the V-6 is a tough choice and similar in outcome.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
The dealer is telling me that the Excursions? all have ecoboost.
The Excursion has been out of production for more than a decade. The Expeditions and Navigators are all EcoBoost starting in 2015.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks! I'm starting to get this. Did the axle ratio make any difference? I notice that the 3.55 in the V-6 Ecoboost isn't as plentiful. For that matter, I've seen some V-8s also have lower axle ratios.
I didn't notice all that much, but then again I wasn't driving them hard either. I did a burnout on a leveled EB, but that was disappointing. Damn traction control.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Sir Aaron
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tom
The Excursion has been out of production for more than a decade. The Expeditions and Navigators are all EcoBoost starting in 2015.
He must have said Expedition then.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:08 PM
pmac150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.7 Lifted 4x2 3.31 gearing

I have a 2015 XLT 2.7EB on a 6" lift, 35x12.50/20 Tire/Rim

3.31 rear gear . and the truck still hauls A$$.
Taken it on some trips it never strains, not even up the hills going to Vegas from L.A. Went up to Hungry Valley, Gorman, CA towing two quads, buddies GMC 7" lifted truck w/18" had problems holding 75mph up the hills. He avg 4800rpm
well my 2.7 held 2600RPM @9psi His V8 did sound really nice tho, but couldn't hold a gear, my 2.7 just quietly Hummmmm.

Its hard to believe until you have driven one, Best bet, go rent one and take it on a trip. Those two little Turbos are sweet.
I so far have had no issue. 8 months in 10K miles. always use the crappy 91Oct. here in CA.

Attached Images   
Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 PM
Sir Aaron
Junior User
Originally Posted by pmac150
I have a 2015 XLT 2.7EB on a 6" lift, 35x12.50/20 Tire/Rim

3.31 rear gear . and the truck still hauls A$$.
Taken it on some trips it never strains, not even up the hills going to Vegas from L.A. Went up to Hungry Valley, Gorman, CA towing two quads, buddies GMC 7" lifted truck w/18" had problems holding 75mph up the hills. He avg 4800rpm
well my 2.7 held 2600RPM @9psi His V8 did sound really nice tho, but couldn't hold a gear, my 2.7 just quietly Hummmmm.

Its hard to believe until you have driven one, Best bet, go rent one and take it on a trip. Those two little Turbos are sweet.
I so far have had no issue. 8 months in 10K miles. always use the crappy 91Oct. here in CA.
Rent one? LOL. I'd have to really look around for one. And none of them would be lifted.

I do appreciate your feedback. Interesting that you have a 2.7 with a 3.31. That makes me feel better. Right now I've got several options but the V-8 with 3.31 or 3.55 seems to be the best deal available. I like the ecoboost but it is a little more expensive, harder to find, and I am concerned about repairs 10 years from now especially given most of my trips will be 10 miles or less around town (maybe an unjustifiable fear, I know).

Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 PM
JKBrad
Received 810 Likes on 595 Posts
10 mile or less trips? Get the V8, and don't question yourself. The Turbo engines should be run at full operating temperature whenever available, in my opinion anyway.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:32 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
10-mile trips around town are just fine, that's more than enough time for an aluminum engine to warm up. There's certainly more to break than the V8, but so far they seem to be holding up well. Cylinders aren't distorting either.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:35 PM
Sir Aaron
Junior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
10 mile or less trips? Get the V8, and don't question yourself. The Turbo engines should be run at full operating temperature whenever available, in my opinion anyway.
Originally Posted by Tom
10-mile trips around town are just fine, that's more than enough time for an aluminum engine to warm up. There's certainly more to break than the V8, but so far they seem to be holding up well. Cylinders aren't distorting either.
Yeah, most trips will likely be 5-16 miles. We will have some long road trips for sure, but most of our driving is taking the kids to school or athletics. We don't drive our vehicles for work.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Mine reaches operating temperature in 4-5 miles. In -10 degree weather it's never taken more than 6 miles.

Quick Reply: 3.5 ecoboost vs. V8 on lifted truck