6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Switching back to stock air box

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switching back to stock air box

i'm switching back to the stock air box/intake. I currently have a K&N on it that just met the reaper. Need everything from the turbo forward. What parts do i need? I found this assembly on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191861584427?item=191861584427&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
And this 3C3Z-9C623-AA but I am also running into this part number too 6C3Z-9C623-A. I think it's for newer truck.

What other parts do I need? Assume I have nothing.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
That's just about everything you need, you're missing the rubber boot that connects to the turbo boot.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:30 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark_in_co
i'm switching back to the stock air box/intake.
Good for you going back to stock!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:51 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Adding a picture of your current setup would help people assess what you need.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Adding a picture of your current setup would help people assess what you need.
I can take a couple of pictures tonight, but I have nothing attached to the inlet of the turbo. All the existing piping is labeled K&N so I figure I can't reuse any of it with a stock setup, plus some of it is cracked/broken anyway. Basically, I need everything to build a stock air intake from scratch. The only things I have that I can reuse is the MASS airflow sensor and the filter status checker thing.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Used parts store on my way home says they have one in stock for $90. They say it's the whole thing. I'm gonna stop and take a look see. Hopefully it's the whole enchilada minus maybe the filter!

Old 05-07-2016, 08:21 AM
bthr22
Senior User
I just got rid of the K&N on mine. The only things I needed were the front snorkel piece, filter, rear housing, and the rubber tube. The plastic tube that connects to the turbo was the OEM piece so I didn't need to replace that.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Sorry didn't have time to post pictures last night. I stopped at the used parts store and it turned out to be a Banks unit that was in pretty bad shape. So back to the drawing board. Here's pictures of what I have now:

This connects to the K&N filter:

This connects the above pipe to the turbo and is damaged. Can't be reused but seems to be the only thing that might be OEM. I think, but need confirmation, that this is the Ford part I need in addition to the unit on ebay that I linked to, that and the rubber hose that sticks out the front of the snorkel. What is that for and where does it go anyway?

bthr22, is this the same piece you reused? Do you mind posting a picture or 2 of your setup so I just see what it is suppose to look like?

And here is a shot of the area in the engine bay:

Old 05-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Sorry for the dirty engine bay, need to clean it up now that it's spring!

I'm also debating putting in a S&B 75-5070. I know everybody says stock, but if I have to spend money anyway... Has to better than what is in there now! I've heard good things about them.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:01 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

This looks similar a stock component, but is slightly different than in my '07 which has a bellows formed into it:

Authonation White Bear showns p/n: Outlet Tube - 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty (3C3Z 9B659 AA)
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...me=outlet-tube

You need a CCV o-ring:
Amazon.com: Ford, MISCELLANEOUS HARDWARE, -W302725-: Automotive Amazon.com: Ford, MISCELLANEOUS HARDWARE, -W302725-: Automotive

Old 05-07-2016, 07:53 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OT but is your FICM missing grommets? Picture angle maybe? I have an 03 so maybe it's slightly different, just appears those hold down bolts are resting on the FICM ears.

Also curious why that FICM looks different, like it's not as thick for some reason. Sorry, I'm "one of those" that notices stupid stuff like that

Edit, nevermind had I taken the time to read your sig I would have seen the Techsmart , dur.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:14 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And your battery tray is good, holds the stock filter?
When I got rid of mine needed the tray and everything from the radiator to the turbo. Check CL, maybe someone getting rid of theres.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
The FICM is actually an Alliant Power reman unit. I reman'd it again with a TechSmart power board. Just popped the clam shell apart and replaced the board. Pretty easy! I've never had grommets. There's a bracket that bolts onto the air intake pipe and attaches sits over the FICM ears to hold it all down. Hopefully I'm not missing something else!

The battery tray has an extension coming off the side of it with a cradle for a filter to sit in. Hopefully that is right!

Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's it, fits right in the craddle.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:32 AM
bthr22
Senior User
Sorry didn't have time to post pictures last night. I stopped at the used parts store and it turned out to be a Banks unit that was in pretty bad shape. So back to the drawing board. Here's pictures of what I have now:

This connects to the K&N filter:

This connects the above pipe to the turbo and is damaged. Can't be reused but seems to be the only thing that might be OEM. I think, but need confirmation, that this is the Ford part I need in addition to the unit on ebay that I linked to, that and the rubber hose that sticks out the front of the snorkel. What is that for and where does it go anyway?

bthr22, is this the same piece you reused? Do you mind posting a picture or 2 of your setup so I just see what it is suppose to look like?

Sorry for the late reply, I was smoking a pork shoulder all day yesterday.
But that looks like the correct piece connecting to the turbo. My picture isn't as detailed but mine also has the bracket and CCV tube on the underside.

Connecting to that for 2005 trucks is the rubber accordion piece. I had to buy that one separately from fordparts.com. It is part # 3C3Z9B659AA and is about $30 when you register on the site.

Next is the actual housing you linked. I think I looked at the same eBay listing, but Sean (Yahiko) offered to grab me one and ship it to me for $60. The 05 trucks were a little different. Some used the MAF sensor, which it looks like yours does. Mine uses only the intake air temp sensor, which has a different opening than the MAF. So make sure the one you get has the MAF opening.

The hose in front fits into an opening near the top of the power steering fluid reservoir. I also chose to do the zoodad mod too, where you cut out a bit of the fiberglass on the inside of the grille area to get direct airflow into the main snorkel.

The filter has two posts that fit into grommets, which are part of the battery tray. It looks like a semi-circular seat that hangs from the main tray, make sure you still have that.

Lastly, when you install the housing, it is a pain the first time. I put it all together before installing instead of trying to do it one piece at a time. And while not necessary, you might want to remove the bolts from the degas bottle mount to give yourself some extra room. Save installing the air filter minder for last so you don't risk breaking it trying to get the housing in.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else!

Quick Reply: Switching back to stock air box