2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

All 2016 Chevy Silverados offer LED / HID lighting as STANDARD

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:16 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
All 2016 Chevy Silverados offer LED / HID lighting as STANDARD

Ford is introducing a brand-new, world class Super Duty that will again be the benchmark all others look to.

As has been discussed many times on this forum, the quad-beam LED headlights are a very sought-after item on the new Super Duty, but unfortunately, Ford requires a Lariat Ultimate, with Blind Spot, and with the additional LED headlight package. That amounts to about $5k invoice pricing over a standard Lariat.

For 2016, GM is providing HID headlights with LED day running lamps, and LED turn signals, as STANDARD EQUIPMENT, even on a basic WT model with crank windows and a vinyl floor.

Top models, such as the LTZ and High Country, come with full LED headlights, to match Ford.

All I can say is that I am disappointed by Ford's choice not to offer this as standard. The brighter lights are safer, use less energy, and make the vehicle look ultra modern. I suspect very soon the LEDs will be standard equipment on the Fords, which will irritate both those who spent and those who didn't alike.

We can hope somehow the Ford "quad-beam" lights are at least brighter than Chevy's lights...but I bet they are competitive.

Thoughts?

Old 05-05-2016, 01:45 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Ford is introducing a brand-new, world class Super Duty that will again be the benchmark all others look to.

As has been discussed many times on this forum, the quad-beam LED headlights are a very sought-after item on the new Super Duty, but unfortunately, Ford requires a Lariat Ultimate, with Blind Spot, and with the additional LED headlight package. That amounts to about $5k invoice pricing over a standard Lariat.

For 2016, GM is providing HID headlights with LED day running lamps, and LED turn signals, as STANDARD EQUIPMENT, even on a basic WT model with crank windows and a vinyl floor.

Top models, such as the LTZ and High Country, come with full LED headlights, to match Ford.

All I can say is that I am disappointed by Ford's choice not to offer this as standard. The brighter lights are safer, use less energy, and make the vehicle look ultra modern. I suspect very soon the LEDs will be standard equipment on the Fords, which will irritate both those who spent and those who didn't alike.

We can hope somehow the Ford "quad-beam" lights are at least brighter than Chevy's lights...but I bet they are competitive.

Thoughts?
I'm thinking that GM had extra money to invest in LED headlights since they screwed all their shareholders in the illegal bankruptcy and new IPO, all government sanctioned of course. I'll proudly pay for the lights on a Ford than get a GM product GIVEN to me for FREE.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:52 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
I'm thinking that GM had extra money to invest in LED headlights since they screwed all their shareholders in the illegal bankruptcy and new IPO, all government sanctioned of course. I'll proudly pay for the lights on a Ford than get a GM product GIVEN to me for FREE.
Forget how GM went about adding the lights; the point is that they have them standard and Ford does not. Don't worry, I'm not buying GM anything.

As a side note, HID lights and LED lights look similar, but the HID lights are generally more costly to build. That's why I'm surprised the HIDs are standard on the W/T models. HID xenon bulbs do eventually burn out; bet the fleets won't be happy to be paying a lot more for a bulb then they use to.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:03 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Forget how GM went about adding the lights; the point is that they have them standard and Ford does not. Don't worry, I'm not buying GM anything.

As a side note, HID lights and LED lights look similar, but the HID lights are generally more costly to build. That's why I'm surprised the HIDs are standard on the W/T models. HID xenon bulbs do eventually burn out; bet the fleets won't be happy to be paying a lot more for a bulb then they use to.
LED lighting is new to the Super Duty lineup. Like you said, at some point it will be standard. If it was standard and the cost was driven higher, maybe less people buy base model trucks from Ford. It's business driven I'm sure.

If it made sense for ford to make it standard and charge more for each truck right now, I bet they'd have done it. Or maybe they're behind the times. In any case, I wanted every option and package that led to the LED lights. I added them as well because they're cool, but they were secondary to the other stuff that happened to be required to get them for what I wanted. Win-win.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:13 PM
PFG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bummer to hear this. I'll be adding them aftermarket, even if I have to pay $1500. That's a big chunk less than going with the Lariat Ultimate package and being forced into the moonroof and Nav, then adding BLISS (waste of money IMO) to get the headlights.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:26 PM
bigred460ci
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by PFG
Bummer to hear this. I'll be adding them aftermarket, even if I have to pay $1500. That's a big chunk less than going with the Lariat Ultimate package and being forced into the moonroof and Nav, then adding BLISS (waste of money IMO) to get the headlights.

I'll have to go aftermarket also. I wouldn't mind getting the Ultimate pkg but I'm not going to be forced into a Crew Cab, I'm ordering a SuperCab.
One downside, headlights won't be covered under the ESP.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:39 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I decided the LED lights were going to happen on my 2017, so I sucked it up and ordered the required packages. They include some stuff I normally would not have paid for, but whatever, I wanted the moonroof, nav, and man-step anyway. Would not have ordered BLIS, but maybe I will find it useful.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 436 Likes on 139 Posts
I decided the LED lights were going to happen on my 2017, so I sucked it up and ordered the required packages. They include some stuff I normally would not have paid for, but whatever, I wanted the moonroof, nav, and man-step anyway. Would not have ordered BLIS, but maybe I will find it useful.
I could see the BLIS being helpful while towing since it is supposed to 'see' down the side of the trailer as well. Would take all the guesswork out of merging or getting back over after passing someone.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:57 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I could see the BLIS being helpful while towing since it is supposed to 'see' down the side of the trailer as well. Would take all the guesswork out of merging or getting back over after passing someone.
I experienced BLIS with a rental suburban this spring and found it to be a wonderful option. I will never buy a vehicle without it if it's an option.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:58 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigred460ci
I'll have to go aftermarket also. I wouldn't mind getting the Ultimate pkg but I'm not going to be forced into a Crew Cab, I'm ordering a SuperCab.
One downside, headlights won't be covered under the ESP.
I've driven a supercab for the last 11 years and have regretted not getting a crew cab since day 2. I am thrilled to have a crew cab and a long bed. I can't imagine owning a pickup without both.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:01 PM
bigred460ci
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
I've driven a supercab for the last 11 years and have regretted not getting a crew cab since day 2. I am thrilled to have a crew cab and a long bed. I can't imagine owning a pickup without both.

For me plowing with a SuperCab long bed is the max, especially now that the new one's are longer.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:36 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LED and HID both really hurt my eyes at night. I'm glad Ford doesn't offer it in all trims because I wouldn't want them

Old 05-05-2016, 07:28 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Ford was very strategic on how they optioned different trim level trucks. They know there are certain options buyer want, so they use those to up sell you into a higher trim level. More profit!

Offer LED's on XLT's, then you start selling less Lariats and Platinums.

The price increase on the new Super Duty will actually help competitors sell more trucks. Ford has created a huge price gap between a Platinum SD and a GMC Denali similar options.

My last SD was my 15 F350 Platinum. Congrats to you guys that are getting new ones!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:38 PM
dh1200
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should at least be standard on a lariat. looks like the main difference between an xlt and a larait ( without any packages) is leather. For the price jump from xlt to lariat, they should at least throw in the leds too. they probably will be standard on all trucks soon, but if you buy a base lariat now, and plan on keeping your truck for 10 years or so, youll have to do without them a long time while every other truck on the road has them, making you lariat look cheaper than the lower priced models. not a big deal, just aggravating.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by nojoke327
LED and HID both really hurt my eyes at night. I'm glad Ford doesn't offer it in all trims because I wouldn't want them
They don't hurt your eyes when you are driving the car...but they will reduce eye strain in poor driving conditions like rain or fog.

What gives them the bad reputation are the morons who install them into a standard halogen lens which glare dangerously.

Quick Reply: All 2016 Chevy Silverados offer LED / HID lighting as STANDARD