Sponsored by:

$9.93 property tax invoice today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:27 PM
gardnesd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$9.93 property tax invoice today

Just bought a 2000 x 7.3 mint 116000miles. Wend to county auditor and the tax payment for this year is 9.93. I couldn't believe it.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:34 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 326 Likes on 247 Posts
what state and county county ?

what is the accessed vehile value that $9.93 tax represent ?

I assume this is in addition to your states yearly DMV tax or registration as they like to call it ?

Old 05-03-2016, 03:14 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I really don't understand how other states do things. So you have to pay tax on a vehicle yearly? How does that work?

I suppose I'm spoiled, as we don't have an income tax, don't have any sales tax. you only pay property tax on land and nothing else. If you buy/sell a car there is no taxes involved at all, so the whole idea doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:01 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Depends on the state. In Mass you are taxed on real property (ie. real estate) and pay an excise tax on vehicles. The excise tax declines as the vehicle ages based on a depreciation schedule. It is a significant source of revenue for most towns in Mass. Other states it can be the states or county or township that access the tax. Again in Mass you will also pay 6.25% sales tax, payable at the dealer if purchased there or when you register you vehicle at the RMV, an annual inspection and a biannual registration.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:06 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rufushusky
Depends on the state. In Mass you are taxed on real property (ie. real estate) and pay an excise tax on vehicles. The excise tax declines as the vehicle ages based on a depreciation schedule. It is a significant source of revenue for most towns in Mass. Other states it can be the states or county or township that access the tax. Again in Mass you will also pay 6.25% sales tax, payable at the dealer if purchased there or when you register you vehicle at the RMV, an annual inspection and a biannual registration.
DAMN! They get you at every chance they can don't they?

We did away with emissions inspections about 4 years ago so there are no inspections of any kind, just registration renewal every 2 years at $170 a pop. Otherwise no other taxes or fee's relating to buying,selling or owning a car/truck.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:28 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 326 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx

you'd blow a head gadget faster then a 6.0 if you delt with the Taxes in CA.

it's not the somewhat reasonable income tax that pisses you off, it is everything they pile on top of that the .gov has managed to find a way to tax, from state, county and local agency's. everything from your shopping bags at the grocery store to your use of a phone, they are even working on a special tax on ammo and snacks. ( lol on the Fat tax. hehe )

Old 05-03-2016, 04:54 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
I really don't understand how other states do things. So you have to pay tax on a vehicle yearly? How does that work?

I suppose I'm spoiled, as we don't have an income tax, don't have any sales tax. you only pay property tax on land and nothing else. If you buy/sell a car there is no taxes involved at all, so the whole idea doesn't make much sense to me.

Same here, sep'n your property tax goes up based on the value of the structures on it (not just the land). No income tax, no sales tax, etc. You can own and open carry a fire arm with no paperwork (permit for concealed carry, unfortunately), don't need to wear a seatbelt if you don't want to (over 18), and same with motorcycle helmets. I have no idea how some people live in some of those states....

Old 05-03-2016, 05:04 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by rufushusky

That my friends, is why it is commonly referred to as Taxachusetts.

Originally Posted by IMASAP
Same here, sep'n your property tax goes up based on the value of the structures on it (not just the land). No income tax, no sales tax, etc. You can own and open carry a fire arm with no paperwork (permit for concealed carry, unfortunately), don't need to wear a seatbelt if you don't want to (over 18), and same with motorcycle helmets. I have no idea how some people live in some of those states....
Live Free or Die

Old 05-03-2016, 05:07 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts

I was impressed with the very real "Live free or die" attitude about all things when I visited NH. Struck me as very "American", or at least what "American" should feel like without all the crap our leaders try to do to dampen that very attitude.

Here in PA (at least around the greater Philly area) we are required to have annual emissions inspections for $30-ish (idle only for the EX's weight class), annual vehicle registration ($38-ish for a station wagon passenger vehicle like the EX, more for those great big pickup trucks ), and the same 6% sales tax that we pay for nearly everything else whenever we sell a vehicle. I had a '69 Camaro with an "M" title, that means that I was the 13th owner, each of whom had to pay 6% of their purchase price to the State, so PA saw about the same amount of money from that car's sales as GM did back in '69.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I was impressed with the very real "Live free or die" attitude about all things when I visited NH. Struck me as very "American", or at least what "American" should feel like without all the crap our leaders try to do to dampen that very attitude.

Heck, I forgot to mention we aren't even required to carry auto insurance unless you are a habitual offender. For sure it's not cheap to live anywhere in the north east, but I don't know how some of you guys do it. They have their hands in your pocket constantly.

Tom, you are welcome to move up here when you retire.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Jeremy05
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In MT my ex got permanent plates, any vehicle under 12k and 11yrs old can get a perm plate. Its about 2.5x of what the annual cost would be if I registered it every year. So it was like $230 and Im done. ATV's and trailers are the same except they dont have to be 11yrs old. They can be done new.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Resto Guy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heck, I forgot to mention we aren't even required to carry auto insurance unless you are a habitual offender. For sure it's not cheap to live anywhere in the north east, but I don't know how some of you guys do it. They have their hands in your pocket constantly.

Tom, you are welcome to move up here when you retire.

You, Sir, live on an island! I've always wondered how New Hampshire can be so vastly different from the surrounding states.
Not only do we have a 7.0 sales tax, we just got nailed with a 7.0 labor tax!
Now I have to add that to every customer's bill.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Resto Guy
You, Sir, live on an island! I've always wondered how New Hampshire can be so vastly different from the surrounding states.

If only we could curb the influx of outsiders fleeing the states they came from, only to vote in new schools, fire stations and community centers. (oh.... and rail service ????!!!!)

On the flip side, there is still plenty to complain about here.....

Old 05-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
you'd blow a head gadget faster then a 6.0 if you delt with the Taxes in CA.

it's not the somewhat reasonable income tax that pisses you off, it is everything they pile on top of that the .gov has managed to find a way to tax,

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Wow, I thought all those states crunched up there into the top left of the US were all die hard blue states.

Stewart

Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

We did away with emissions inspections about 4 years ago so there are no inspections of any kind, just registration renewal every 2 years at $170 a pop. Otherwise no other taxes or fee's relating to buying,selling or owning a car/truck.
Basically yes... they do. The excise tax on the vehicle isn't too bad after the first year or two once the assessment value has dropped. For passenger vehicles (GVW equal to or less than 10k and only four tires), the annual inspection is $30 a year. If you have more than 4 tires or have a GVW in excess of 10k your a commercial vehicle regardless of who owns it so you get the $120 a year commercial inspection, need to carry a DOT medical card, have commercial insurance etc, etc.... but I don't know how hard that is enforced. The registration is $50 every other year.

The town's RE tax is a different matter. It can also vary wildly town to town, I spend just under $5k per year on property tax... the exact same house about a quarter mile away in another town is 12.5k per year.

Originally Posted by mecdac
That my friends, is why it is commonly referred to as Taxachusetts.
Actually its proper name is the People's Commonwealth of Massachusetts...

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Wow, I thought all those states crunched up there into the top left of the US were all die hard blue states.

Stewart
Maine and New Hampshire are reasonably conservative... NH has always been a big personal freedom state. Although they are getting a BIG influx of Mass people over the years due to the ever rising cost of living here. Southwestern CT is also pretty conservative, mostly due to $$$$$. Mass has some pockets of red, especially along the Irish Riveria (South Shore of Boston) but by in large Mass and RI are solid blue states. I mean we voted for McGovern in 1972! Vermont is beyond blue... they think Bernie Sanders is a good idea... but beautiful state.

Quick Reply: $9.93 property tax invoice today