1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2000 E250 front Stabilizer bar I-Beam bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:20 PM
jerseymike
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E250 front Stabilizer bar I-Beam bushings

Hello all,

this is my first post and I hope I can get some remove and reinstall info on how to take care of the I-beam bushings.

Before I found this forum I came across 1 video of a man pressing a new bushing into place using a long bolt w/ oversized washers. I think I can handle that.

What I need to know are things to remember or how to remove the OEM/stock/factory original, how to prep the opening for the new bushing and how to reinstall the OEM front sway bar into the new bushings and what type of lubricant to use to get the sway bar through the new bushings. Also is the front Stabilizer bar under any tension that will need to be addressed to install it.

I have new MOOG "Problem Solver" poly bushings on order from Rock Auto coming this week.

Any and all tips, thoughts and advice would be appreciated,

thanks,
mike

Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I'm always a bit surprised folks order parts before seeking advice on what to use along with how to do a task. I have no experience with Moog urethane ? bushings but have done 4 sets of Energy Suspension OEM front sway bar bushings.

The rubber material needs to be removed from metal sleeves factory pressed into the I-Beams. Once those are out find a way to remove those sleeves, most used method is use a hammer and punch to essentially crush the sleeve inside the I-Beam opening. If you have more sophisticated tools such as air chisels etc etc that's fine too. The main point is removing every part of the stock bushings leaving just a bare opening in the I-Beam.

Its pretty much impossible to significantly damage the I-Beam doing this but be careful anyway---makes for a more professional-looking installation

Once those are free follow the video showing how to pull the replacement parts into place. Remember to use some sort of silicone grease on the bushing's OD's allowing them to slide into the I-Beam. After that you're done with this part.

One advantage of the Energy Suspension kits is the frame mount bushings are also included---it makes sense to renew all attachment bushings for the front sway bar to be effective.

That's about all there is to it!

HTH

Old 05-01-2016, 06:10 PM
jerseymike
Freshman User
Hello JWA I've read some of your posts as I was looking for a solution to this you have some good stuff out there.

I ordered the parts before hand because they need to be done, once I watched the 1 video I found I knew I could press the bushing into place but there wasn't too much other info out there as far as reinstalling the sway bar back into the new bushings.

We have a good mechanic that works on the trucks and doesn't mind if we buy stuff and ask him to install it too so worst case scenario we will have him do it.

thanks for your response,

Mike

Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 PM
delgriffith
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty sure I've used those poly bushings from Moog and they are just bushings with no outer metal sleeve like the original. It's no problem getting the sway bar ends into the bushings, anything you want to use will be fine. Even WD-40.

The toughest part is getting the original out with the metal sleeve that goes around it. Hammer and chisel and a lot of swinging, most likely. You can try to press it out with a socket that fits over the metal bushing perfectly. Think I might have had some luck with that about once. But usually it's just a hammer and chisel swing fest.

Once it's out, the Moog poly bushing will go in without too much trouble. You might oil it up and need to pound it in with a hammer but it's not really a big deal. No tension on the sway bar to worry about. Just unbolt it and remove it before you start, re-bolt and re-install when you're done.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Seriously?
I've done that numerous times.
It's OTJT

Originally Posted by JWA
I'm always a bit surprised folks order parts before seeking advice on what to use along with how to do a task. I have no experience with Moog urethane ? bushings but have done 4 sets of Energy Suspension OEM front sway bar bushings.

The rubber material needs to be removed from metal sleeves factory pressed into the I-Beams. Once those are out find a way to remove those sleeves, most used method is use a hammer and punch to essentially crush the sleeve inside the I-Beam opening. If you have more sophisticated tools such as air chisels etc etc that's fine too. The main point is removing every part of the stock bushings leaving just a bare opening in the I-Beam.

Its pretty much impossible to significantly damage the I-Beam doing this but be careful anyway---makes for a more professional-looking installation

Once those are free follow the video showing how to pull the replacement parts into place. Remember to use some sort of silicone grease on the bushing's OD's allowing them to slide into the I-Beam. After that you're done with this part.

One advantage of the Energy Suspension kits is the frame mount bushings are also included---it makes sense to renew all attachment bushings for the front sway bar to be effective.

That's about all there is to it!

HTH
Air chisel is the easiest.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:53 PM
jerseymike
Freshman User
Originally Posted by delgriffith
Pretty sure I've used those poly bushings from Moog and they are just bushings with no outer metal sleeve like the original. It's no problem getting the sway bar ends into the bushings, anything you want to use will be fine. Even WD-40.

The toughest part is getting the original out with the metal sleeve that goes around it. Hammer and chisel and a lot of swinging, most likely. You can try to press it out with a socket that fits over the metal bushing perfectly. Think I might have had some luck with that about once. But usually it's just a hammer and chisel swing fest.

Once it's out, the Moog poly bushing will go in without too much trouble. You might oil it up and need to pound it in with a hammer but it's not really a big deal. No tension on the sway bar to worry about. Just unbolt it and remove it before you start, re-bolt and re-install when you're done.

Hello Del,

Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:36 PM
delgriffith
Senior User
Originally Posted by vettex2
Seriously?
I've done that numerous times.
It's OTJT
Girls and directions...

Seen the recent Geico ad with Tarzan and Jane, "Tarzan know where Tarzan go" and she asks for directions...