6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Mishimoto Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 10:47 AM
BobbyB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mishimoto Radiator

Does anyone know the difference between the Mishimoto MMRAD-F2D-03 and MMRAD-F2D-60 radiators? My 2004 has the threaded transmission lines not quick-connects.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2016, 12:00 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
I got the -03 radiator last year and I have quick disconnect transmission lines. But I had to remove the quick disconnect fittings from my OEM radiator and put them in the Mishimoto radiator. It is threaded for the transmission lines that are not quick disconnects. From what I can tell the difference is...the part number. Mishimoto no longer lists the -03, which makes sense because their other parts for the 6.0 have -60 at the end of the number. You can get the -03 radiators for around $350 at Amazon and other places.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Kdawg89
Senior User
I do know the exact difference because I had both and asked Mishimoto.

03 has a very shiny polished finish 60 has a brushed aluminum finish. Mishi has discontinued the 03 but they can be had for a very good price. Mishimoto told me that they are the exact same thing with a different finish. Obviously you can't see everything in a side by side comparison but I couldn't find a single difference comparing them other than the finish.

The reason I had both is because I got and installed the 03 and it had a pinhole leak in one of the welds. The bad thing is even though the thing was defective out of the box Mishimoto made me pay $50 for the replacement which I thought was pretty lame considering it was in no way my fault and they shipped me a 60.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 AM
BobbyB
Senior User
Quick update: Installed the MMRAD-F2D-03 radiator and it fit great. While I had it all apart, I replaced all idler pulleys and tensioner. Replaced the water pump with an Alliant Power pump with the metal impeller. Installed a new fan clutch, Motorcraft thermostat and cap. Temps went from 215 to 190. Oil/coolant temp spread went down to 2 degree delta.

Thought I would not have to see the front of the engine for a long time. But, you never know what is going to bite you..... compressor bearing locked up on our return beach trip last week.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyB
Quick update: Installed the MMRAD-F2D-03 radiator and it fit great. While I had it all apart, I replaced all idler pulleys and tensioner. Replaced the water pump with an Alliant Power pump with the metal impeller. Installed a new fan clutch, Motorcraft thermostat and cap. Temps went from 215 to 190. Oil/coolant temp spread went down to 2 degree delta.

Thought I would not have to see the front of the engine for a long time. But, you never know what is going to bite you..... compressor bearing locked up on our return beach trip last week.
Watch that drain plug, it tends to leak and then break of in the radiator. Ask me how I know...

It's an awesome product, but they just didn't think that drain plug through.

Speaking of compressors, I need to strongly consider replacing mine, some days it can keep up, other days it can't.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:26 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Watch that drain plug, it tends to leak and then break of in the radiator. Ask me how I know...

Speaking of compressors, I need to strongly consider replacing mine, some days it can keep up, other days it can't.
I put a Fumoto valve there instead of the drain plug, almost a year and no issues so far. Way less mess when draining, too! Unfortunately I can't remember off the top of my head what model it was or what the thread pitch is...

Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I agree, the spiffy magnetic drain plug that comes with the Mishimoto radiator isn't very well thought out. You can't loosen it to drain and when you pull it out coolant sprays on the front diff, no chance you're gonna hit a bucket with the stream. I put the Fumoto drains in the block a couple years ago and found a 5gal will slide right under there on the drivers side and you can open the valve with no tools. I bet I mopped my garage with ELC half a dozen times before figuring this out. You can also slide a piece of tubing over the valve if you need to direct the coolant off to the side.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:27 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel

What does the drain plug look like on those? The drain in my Mustang doesn't come out anymore. It is a Mishi radiator.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Just a shiny aluminum pipe plug with a 6point head. On the inside end it has a very strong magnetic "pellet" pressed into it. The problem is the bung it screws into is on the back of the radiator, not the bottom.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 PM
SPAM
New User
Originally Posted by Kdawg89

03 has a very shiny polished finish 60 has a brushed aluminum finish. Mishi has discontinued the 03 but they can be had for a very good price. Mishimoto told me that they are the exact same thing with a different finish. Obviously you can't see everything in a side by side comparison but I couldn't find a single difference comparing them other than the finish.

The reason I had both is because I got and installed the 03 and it had a pinhole leak in one of the welds. The bad thing is even though the thing was defective out of the box Mishimoto made me pay $50 for the replacement which I thought was pretty lame considering it was in no way my fault and they shipped me a 60.
Just FYI, in case someone digs up this old post looking for Mishimoto radiator info. I have contacted Mishimoto to request the information about how these two are different. you can see the difference is in the core thickness, see below.

MMRAD-F2D-03
  • Direct fit for 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke
  • Overall Size: 30”W x 34.7”H x 4.5”T / Core Size: 28.54”H x 29.06”W / Rows: 2
  • Inlet & Outlet: 1.77”, 1.97”/ Core Thickness: 1.41” / Tank Wall Thickness: 0.08”
  • All-aluminum construction includes magnetic drain plug
  • Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

MMRAD-F2D-60
  • Direct fit for 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke
  • Overall Size: 29.9” x 34.7” x 4.5” / Core Size: 28.54” x 29.06” / Rows: 2
  • Inlet & Outlet: 1.77”, 1.97”/ Core Thickness: 1.88” / Tank Wall Thickness: 0.08”
  • All-aluminum construction includes magnetic drain plug
  • Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty
This persuaded me to spend the extra money on the F2D-60. My Truck did get hot when towing with the original stock radiator. and now that the OEM rad has split the top tank, I'm in the market for new one. And after hours of research I have decided on the Mishimoto.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 452 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyB

You forgot to replace the water pump pulley. The 05-07s are much more robust.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 452 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdawg89

Mishi has a lifetime warranty, but they charge for shipping. I warranted a thermostat and they charged me $10. Now it should be a different story if the pinhole leak happened straight out of the box.