6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DIESEL KLEEN/ FUEL TREAMENTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:56 AM
SILVER STROKE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIESEL KLEEN/ FUEL TREAMENTS

Just got a 2013 F-250 4x4 Platinum with 36,000 miles, upgraded from a 02 F-250 4x4 with 225,000 miles was running great but was ready for an upgrade. Was wondering how many of you are running a fuel treatment and which one. I ran Diesel Kleen in my 7.3 and it ran good. After driving this newer one a little while I had 3 REGEN Modes in like 10 days. I was careful not to turn the truck off and kept driving (thanks to this website) after running the Diesel Kleen in two tanks I've only gone into REGEN mode once in 10 days. Averaging 30 -60 miles a day with 2/3 hwy and 1/3 in town.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want to use fuel additives use the motorcraft stuff. PM22 in the warm season and PM23 in the cold season (anti gel). The diesel clean stuff emulsifies water and forces it past the filter, this is bad. The motorcraft and a couple other brands don't do this.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM
SouthTX
New User
Ive been using the stanadyne for a while. i had used diesel kleen for a couple tanks but seems when i was using it my mileage dropped a little.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,086 Likes on 2,220 Posts
I use the grey bottle for the warm months, white bottle for the winter. I can find it locally virtually anywhere. Never had an issue and I used it in my '11 Ford 6.7 for 86k miles and my '15 Fiat for about 8k now.

Everyone and their brother has opinion on why what they do is best. I see no performance gains and don't *think there is any change (+/-) to the mileage. I use it to help lubricate the fuel system and anti-gel in the winter. Use what you want and your results may vary.

*I don't track mileage *GASP*

Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM
SILVER STROKE
Junior User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I use the grey bottle for the warm months, white bottle for the winter. I can find it locally virtually anywhere.

I use it to help lubricate the fuel system

That's the 2 reasons I'm using it now. In my 7.3 it ran smoother, increased MPG and had more power. I don't need more power, yet in this 6.7.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:09 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Everyone and their brother has opinion on why what they do (or use) is best.
+10000000000000

I used Opti-Lube XPD in my 6.0L and had good results - lower noise, no stiction, easier starts, etc....

Use what XPD I had leftover when I got my 6.7L - about 2-3 tanks worth maybe. Not enough to really tell how it worked, or didn't work, in the 6.7L

When I ran out of XPD I decided to give Archoil a try in the 6.7L

So far I'm not impressed.

I got better MPG with the XPD, but..... winter/cooler weather may have played a role in that. The verdict is still out on it.

Eventually I'm going to order some more XPD to try again...

or I might try a combination of other OptiLube products - like a Boost and Summer mix combo.....

Maybe.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver Stroke, I just sold my beloved '02 F250 that ran great. I used the Opti-Lube XPD and it really made a difference in how it ran. Got a new '16 F350 KR Tow Boss coming May 9th and I'm still out on whether I'll use the Ford 22/23 or keep running the Opti-Lube.........good luck with your truck.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM
SILVER STROKE
Junior User
[QUOTE=Ginther;16244320

When I ran out of XPD I decided to give Archoil a try in the 6.7L

So far I'm not impressed.

[/QUOTE]

That's what the dude (Powerstroke help) on Youtube promotes isn't it?

Old 04-28-2016, 04:04 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I use the grey bottle for the warm months, white bottle for the winter. I can find it locally virtually anywhere. Never had an issue and I used it in my '11 Ford 6.7 for 86k miles and my '15 Fiat for about 8k now.

Everyone and their brother has opinion on why what they do is best. I see no performance gains and don't *think there is any change (+/-) to the mileage. I use it to help lubricate the fuel system and anti-gel in the winter. Use what you want and your results may vary.

*I don't track mileage *GASP*
x2 I have used the white bottle summer and winter for the last 3 years. Was using stanadyne but it is a pain to get here. Tried opti lube. Never noticed any difference. If that's what you like go for it!

Old 04-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Used both Ford PM22 and PM23, Archoil, and Powerservice White and Grey in the 2015. Used those and Lucas, XPD, and Stanadyne in my 2011. I notice zero difference between them all. Like Darren said, PS is easier to get. I have first hand experience in that the PS arctic stuff works as I had a CFPP issue and the PS Arctic stuff got it started, which I was glad I didn't have to use the Diesel 911 Stuff. That is really for an emergency, I'm on the side of the road with no cell service type stuff.

I don't notice a difference between them. My mileage on the lie-o-meter (which for me is darn accurate) is always between horrible and awful anyways. I'm starting to see unloaded, highway driving get me over 15 mpg now. Winter vs. Summer fuel vs. Temp all play a role.

Use what you feel comfortable with or use nothing at all. I find the fuel quality where I am to be acceptable, but mediocre. It was like that in South Florida too. I run the stuff for the little extra cetane and lubricity you get. In Florida I liked running B20, but that is 100% out of the question here. Just like we don't run 10% Ethanol here either. (much less E85)

Realistically, you shouldn't "need" to run anything... It costs me less than .01 a mile to run an additive. So I run one for the extra piece of mind.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
I have used Archoil both the fuel and oil additive since my '15 F250 6.7 was new. 35K so far and steady at 17-18 mpg in Miami rush hour traffic. Pulling a 10k TT around 11 mpg.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:02 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SILVER STROKE
That's what the dude (Powerstroke help) on Youtube promotes isn't it?
Yes. I tried a free sample. Wasn't really enough to get a good feel for the product in my opinion so I bought a bigger bottle.

The only positive thing I can say so far.... is that the bottle is lasting forever since you only use 10ml per tank.

With the XPD I was using 6-8 ounces per tank.

Definitely more expensive. But since I was only driving my 6.0L maybe 3000 miles per year, it wasn't a big overall expense.

I'm putting more mile on my 2015 6.7 now, 6000 miles in 10 months, so XPD could get expensive.

But the few tanks of XPD I ran thru my 6.7 the MPG was MUCH BETTER.

Over the last few months (cooler weather but not COLD) I've been averaging mid teens mpg - like 14-16 range.

The few tanks of XPD I averaged high teens, maybe 20... not including a regen. My best trip to date was on XPD.... 21.5

But that was just a straight thru highway trip with no regens....

Regens seemed less frequent with XPD too, but that's just going off memory.

I never kept a detailed log book of everything. I'm not THAT **** about it lol

Old 04-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ssunit1
I have used Archoil both the fuel and oil additive since my '15 F250 6.7 was new. 35K so far and steady at 17-18 mpg in Miami rush hour traffic. Pulling a 10k TT around 11 mpg.
Maybe I need to add the oil treatment too cuz I'm not seeing that kind of mpg with Archoil. And most of my miles are highway miles, not slow stop-n-go traffic.

I did just do my truck's first oil change at 6000 miles and switched to Rotella T6 synthetic. We'll see if anything changes before I change fuel treatments, or add oil treatment.

Only change one thing at a time to see which change makes a difference, if any.

Also, here lately, I've been running with the faster traffic (which runs about 80-85) instead of casually cruising in the right lane at 65-70. That probably doesn't help mpg LOL!

Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginther
Yes. I tried a free sample. Wasn't really enough to get a good feel for the product in my opinion so I bought a bigger bottle.

The only positive thing I can say so far.... is that the bottle is lasting forever since you only use 10ml per tank.

With the XPD I was using 6-8 ounces per tank.

Definitely more expensive. But since I was only driving my 6.0L maybe 3000 miles per year, it wasn't a big overall expense.

I'm putting more mile on my 2015 6.7 now, 6000 miles in 10 months, so XPD could get expensive.

But the few tanks of XPD I ran thru my 6.7 the MPG was MUCH BETTER.

Over the last few months (cooler weather but not COLD) I've been averaging mid teens mpg - like 14-16 range.

The few tanks of XPD I averaged high teens, maybe 20... not including a regen. My best trip to date was on XPD.... 21.5

But that was just a straight thru highway trip with no regens....

Regens seemed less frequent with XPD too, but that's just going off memory.

I never kept a detailed log book of everything. I'm not THAT **** about it lol

Like I said I have only tried Archoil, mainly because I like the Powerstrokehelp site and that the profits go to the vets. On the highway I hover between 19-20mpg but I have to say I have never seen 21.5 for any substantial distance.
I would consider staying with Archoil oil additive but the XPD mileage sounds great.
Two questions for you -
where do you live ie: in hilly country or flat land like me in south florida
where do you get XPD, just found it on line (Amazon) or a local store

Old 04-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ssunit1
Like I said I have only tried Archoil, mainly because I like the Powerstrokehelp site and that the profits go to the vets. On the highway I hover between 19-20mpg but I have to say I have never seen 21.5 for any substantial distance.
I would consider staying with Archoil oil additive but the XPD mileage sounds great.
Two questions for you -
where do you live ie: in hilly country or flat land like me in south florida
where do you get XPD, just found it on line (Amazon) or a local store
Disclaimer: Just so we're clear lol ... I only had enough XPD to run a couple, maybe 3 tanks, thru the 6.7 so I dont know if that mileage would have been consistent or not.

That said, I plan to give it another try just for my own curiosity.

My travel is generally flat to moderately hilly. Basically from Houston (flat Gulf coast) to San Antonio, Austin, Bryan College Station, Dallas area, etc.... rolling hills at most. No mountains.

I have been getting my OL products here - Diesel Fuel Lube

Same product price as the official Opti-Lube Page but cheaper shipping.

That page is flat rate $4.75 shipping. OL page shipping is $20.92 for FedEx home delivery to Houston area! That's ridiculous.

Quick Reply: DIESEL KLEEN/ FUEL TREAMENTS