Sponsored by:

Need new front axle what years fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:21 AM
Mike Barton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new front axle what years fit ?

I have a 05 x with the 5.4 and my hubs are gone and the axle has bin rubbing a long time
What years will just bolt in
I found one from a 99 f250 truck with the 4.10 gears but I don't know if it will fit or is the same any help would be great
Thanks guys.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:48 AM
Mike Barton
New User
Originally Posted by Mike Barton
I have a 05 x with the 5.4 and my hubs are gone and the axle has bin rubbing a long time
What years will just bolt in
I found one from a 99 f250 truck with the 4.10 gears but I don't know if it will fit or is the same any help would be great
Thanks guys.
((((( more info )))))

2005 ford excursion
I need front complete front axle
Solid axle, ABS, Leaf spring

Vin
1FMNU41L15EB63255

Front dif tag
4.10 4c34-Kc
2001272-2

Rear dif tag
V 427 f
10 10 5 4L10

Sticker on the driver side door is missing for build date
Let me know if you need anything else

Old 04-28-2016, 06:20 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by 'axle has been rubbing', but my advice is to repair the front end in your truck. It would seem to be foolish to me to go through the expense / effort of putting a used axle under your truck when you know nothing of it's history. Suppose the used axle needs a new unit bearing..... then what? Would you replace that whole axle assembly too?

As far as ratios go..... standard for the Excursion was 3:73. You need to find out for sure what yours is. Assuming yours is 3:73.... obviously you wouldn't want to swap in a 4:10 axle. At least not if you want to run the truck in 4X4.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Mike Barton
New User
The hubs are gone, and after the universal going into the Hub there's about a half inch of play its been in there bouncing around for years and in the axle to where the seal and bearing is its gone as well and it looks like the actual axle on the right side is scored from rubbing the axle housing in the tube, and on the drivers side the hub is gone
I found a complete front axle housing out of a 99 f250 for $400 which would be the same cost of replacing just the hubs
That's why I was wondering what years of the F250 and 350s will fit in in 05 excursion

Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
As far as I know, all Excursions came with a 3:73 ratio standard, and 4:30 as an option. You will need to determine what yours is, either by the sticker on the driver's door.... or otherwise. If I'm incorrect on the ratios in Excursions, someone here will correct me.

Front axles from the F series should be a 'bolt in' from '99 to '04... Excursion axles from '00 to '05. The F 250s were available with a Dana 50 , or a Dana 60 through '01 ( I believe). '02ish the F 250s all came with a Dana 60 .... and I believe all F 350s regardless of year came with a Dana 60. If you are swapping out of any truck with a Dana 60 you will also need to change the front drive shaft..... as the length of the shaft is different between the Dana 50 and Dana 60. Obviously, the trucks were available with a 4:10 ratio.

I will just reiterate that my honest opinion is that it would be a better option to just repair your current axle. Many of us here have swapped in aftermarket manual hubs for $200 or less, and it's a job so easy you don't even need to remove a wheel. Swapping in a used axle.... I simply wouldn't consider unless I was replacing the most basic of wear parts, such as ball joints, u joints, needle bearings, dust seals, etc. There would be no point, in my opinion, in swapping axle assemblies with a used one potentially worse condition than the one in your truck already. But... to each their own. You will want to use new U bolts if you still decide to swap axles.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:22 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
P.S. I should have been more specific in that the Excursions all came with a Dana 50 front axle from the factory.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
There were several changes made to the '99 Super Duty trucks mid year, but I'm not sure if any of those changes would have affected the front axle. But for sure any late '99 SD front axle should be a direct swap under an EX, same goes for any SD axle up through '04 with Thea matching 4.10 (that's a V-8 Only ratio in the EX) gear set.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IMASAP
As far as I know, all Excursions came with a 3:73 ratio standard, and 4:30 as an option. You will need to determine what yours is, either by the sticker on the driver's door.... or otherwise. If I'm incorrect on the ratios in Excursions, someone here will correct me.

Front axles from the F series should be a 'bolt in' from '99 to '04... Excursion axles from '00 to '05. The F 250s were available with a Dana 50 , or a Dana 60 through '01 ( I believe). '02ish the F 250s all came with a Dana 60 .... and I believe all F 350s regardless of year came with a Dana 60. If you are swapping out of any truck with a Dana 60 you will also need to change the front drive shaft..... as the length of the shaft is different between the Dana 50 and Dana 60. Obviously, the trucks were available with a 4:10 ratio.

I will just reiterate that my honest opinion is that it would be a better option to just repair your current axle. Many of us here have swapped in aftermarket manual hubs for $200 or less, and it's a job so easy you don't even need to remove a wheel. Swapping in a used axle.... I simply wouldn't consider unless I was replacing the most basic of wear parts, such as ball joints, u joints, needle bearings, dust seals, etc. There would be no point, in my opinion, in swapping axle assemblies with a used one potentially worse condition than the one in your truck already. But... to each their own. You will want to use new U bolts if you still decide to swap axles.
Yea, I thought so also BUT he's got a 5.4 & they all had a 4.10. SO OP you should be fine with that swap if it's in better shape. Just as a gauge you can find MM hubs on ebay from $50 - $140.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:54 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
Yea, I thought so also BUT he's got a 5.4 & they all had a 4.10. SO OP you should be fine with that swap if it's in better shape. Just as a gauge you can find MM hubs on ebay from $50 - $140.

Thank you for correcting me.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:48 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By hubs I think he means bearings, not lock-outs? Not sure, but either way...

Yes, a '99 axle will fit. However any axle from the junkyard should be gone through, and will likely need ball joints/bearings/seals replaced. So...

Old 04-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I found one from a 99 f250 truck
Find out if the truck is an early '99 truck or a late '99 truck.

The E99 front axles are slightly different than the L99 and up trucks. The brakes are different along with a couple of other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
There were several changes made to the '99 Super Duty trucks mid year, but I'm not sure if any of those changes would have affected the front axle.
It can still be swapped in because dimentionally they are the same, but there are a few things he would have to be aware of, and really it would just be easier to only use the L99 and up axles.

Stewart

Old 04-29-2016, 06:22 AM
Mike Barton
New User
Good news I found a Junk Yard yesterday that had about 15 excursions in it
The man pulled out a complete front axle assembly including rims and tires for $500 bucks the truck only had 89,000 miles on
It has no play in the universals the locking hubs pulled out easily hell even the grease looked good
So this morning I'm going to pull out the old unit and bolt in the new unit

Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good, now inspect the rest of the X to see how bad it is!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:12 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Good news I found a Junk Yard yesterday that had about 15 excursions in it
The man pulled out a complete front axle assembly including rims and tires for $500 bucks the truck only had 89,000 miles on
It has no play in the universals the locking hubs pulled out easily hell even the grease looked good
So this morning I'm going to pull out the old unit and bolt in the new unit
Stop right there Mister!
Where exactly is this parts yard with 15 EXs? We NEED to know this kind of super valuable info here! . (Please be near me. )

Old 04-29-2016, 08:20 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Stop right there Mister!
Where exactly is this parts yard with 15 EXs? We NEED to know this kind of super valuable info here! . (Please be near me. )
Profile says lancaster Co, PA...

Quick Reply: Need new front axle what years fit ?