1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'55 F100 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:39 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
It's always good to have leverage.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 AM
wmcewan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving!

Headed out for another quick drive today to see what would break... Turns out we made it back in one piece!

The steering doesn't seem to center correctly, and it seems the rear of the valve cover is not sealing well - but other than that - we're in good shape!

Old 01-20-2017, 10:43 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 609 Likes on 379 Posts
Congrats on a successful ride!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Good for you! I hope your nieghbors in the Radnor and King of Prussia area appreciate your cool 55. I see you bed (or cab) sits crooked like mine did. Since I got it painted with a new bed and new rear cab mounts I think I fixed it or at least improved it. Here is a pic from a few years ago.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome job on the rebuild!

Your driveway drive is equivalent to going around the block in my area! :P

Old 01-20-2017, 10:36 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Bill,
You are smiling too much! Nice drive past Cabrini University -
beautiful place. Love your truck.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-21-2017, 11:02 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Also, remember some of that stuff is general Maintenance stuff you'd be buying formyojr daily driver....
ditto this. Unless you buy new and sell three years later without replacing tires or doing an oil change you will be spending this kind of money no matter what you drive .Really enjoying your build thread. Keep it up.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:26 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Got a few small things done:
  • Got rid of some scrap metal
  • Added a fire extinguisher!
  • Made some tailgate chains from stainless linked chain and 3/16" mild steel
  • Stiched up some chain covers from some old canvas
  • Replaced all the bulbs in the instrument cluster
  • Cleaned-up the cluster including paint on the needles
  • Got the speedometer working!

A couple snags I ran into:

First, I couldn't get some of the instrument bulbs working a first. I finally figured out they weren't getting good connectivity to the ground, and then FINALLY figured out they get their ground from the cluster housing itself. (So you can't test them w/o the cluster in place!) Duh...

Second, I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting the speedometer. The cable seemed to be rotating nicely, and once I got the cluster apart, I could manually spin the back of the speedo to get it to respond. I put it all back together, and again it didn't work. Turns out the speedo needle itself was hanging up on the bezel of the oil gauge. I pushed the needle ever so slightly back toward the gauge to bend it away from the edge of the oil bezel, and finally, we're back in action.
Still not getting a clear response from the gas gauge, even after cleaning up the ground on the frame back at the sender. (And before I installed the sender, I tested the ohms, and it seemed to be reading properly.)

It's pegged most of the time once the key is on, occasionally jumping down toward half a tank. That's a problem for another day...

Old 01-22-2017, 04:29 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Thanks Ross, Abe, Errol, Ben, and Das. Appreciate the comments.

And yes Abe, I'm definitely crooked. Likely need to pay some attention to the floor around the mounts....

Old 01-22-2017, 04:36 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Your tailgate chains look great. but they are on backwards. The surface you see facing you should face towards the tail gate. See that little hole a small rubber grommet goes int here and pushes against the tail gate. If everything is correct the chain closure really pulls the bed sides in tight when you clamp it.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:01 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
Your tailgate chains look great. but they are on backwards. The surface you see facing you should face towards the tail gate. See that little hole a small rubber grommet goes int here and pushes against the tail gate. If everything is correct the chain closure really pulls the bed sides in tight when you clamp it.
Haha. You're kidding. You know how many times I trimmed and adjusted that metal ring before welding it closed! Serves me right for not finding a reference picture for comparison. Oh well - back on the to-do list.

Thanks Abe

Old 01-22-2017, 05:04 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Your tailgate chains look great. but they are on backwards.
Nice eye Abe! You say "small things" Bill but for us beginners it is all big It's all looking good. Just curious if your wife was following you "just in case". I always make sure my wife has her cell phone on when I go out for an adventure Keep up the good work. Dave

Old 01-22-2017, 05:08 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by wmcewan
Haha. You're kidding. You know how many times I trimmed and adjusted that metal ring before welding it closed! Serves me right for not finding a reference picture for comparison. Oh well - back on the to-do list.

Thanks Abe
No need to cutnand reweld. Just undo the nut on the bolt and put it back in upside down, if you know what I mean. When I put mine on after the repaint this spring I had to think about it several times before I got it right.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:14 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
No need to cutnand reweld. Just undo the nut on the bolt and put it back in upside down, if you know what I mean. When I put mine on after the repaint this spring I had to think about it several times before I got it right.
Those look to be welded on by the PO. I'll either go about cutting that nut off, or I'll just cut the chain, flip it, and re-weld. A 15 min fix, just a head-smacker for me.

Originally Posted by df85732
Nice eye Abe! You say "small things" Bill but for us beginners it is all big It's all looking good. Just curious if your wife was following you "just in case". I always make sure my wife has her cell phone on when I go out for an adventure Keep up the good work. Dave
Oh yea, that's exactly what's happening. Wife in the chase vehicle with the cell phone ready!!

Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Steering works!

I foolishly messed up the wheel studs on the driver's front, so I replaced the studs and added new lug nuts all around. Also, my steering still felt sloppy, so I went after that this weekend:
  • New wheel studs on driver's front
  • New lug nuts all around
  • New tie rod ends
  • Rebuilt drag link

Once the new tie rods ends were in place and the drag link was rebuilt, I finally adjust the screw on the steering box 1.5 more turns than how I rec'd it from CPP. That seemed to clear it up. Finally my steering doesn't feel dangerous!

Quick Reply: '55 F100 build thread