1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

I did it, I won!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did it, I won!

I have a thread in the Bronco forum, but for all of you who don't wander over there I'd like to share my spoils of victory (thanks to all the help from here as well!)

http://vid1267.photobucket.com/album...psqzagqcrx.mp4

I didn't know how to get the video to embed so I had to post the link...

For those wondering, a gasoline odometer (1996) WILL work in a diesel setup (1995) if you keep the instrument cluster and other gauges from the diesel. I still have a bit of work to do, but my trip to the gas station and other errands in town was successful! This truck sure seems quick now, maybe even quicker than my 91 Camaro!

Poor thing needs a nice bath now. I just painted it about a month ago but these dirt roads are so dusty!

Old 04-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Red97350
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Are those original headlights? They look pretty clear! That's a sweet sounding Bronco.

Red

Old 04-26-2016, 06:48 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
They aren't the original ones. I replaced them with some clearer style headlights a few years ago. When I had the 302 pulled, I painted the Bronco this scheme, and ended up polishing and putting clear coat over all the lights to keep them looking nice and new.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Nice job, l love the Broncos, I dont know if you have mods but once you start modding it it will be a fast truck. My dad had bought a 1985 bronco with a built 460 15 years ago that thing was fun, it used to get the front wheels of the ground like 6" when you stomped on it he sold it for $850 because back then in our area 4x4 were not that popular.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:46 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet!! Nice job! A Powerstroke Bronco is something I have wanted to do for years!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys! I didn't do much to the truck besides re-seal, paint, or replace things (like the HPOP )when I swapped the motor. I did have the exhaust manifolds/up-pipes black ceramic coated. For mods, the P/O had a 3" downpipe to straight exhaust so I have that so far. Also, the turbo housing was 1.10, which I believe is 0.05 smaller than the stock housing. Oh yeah, there was a superchips tuner in the truck as well. I know that's not that good really, but it's better than having nothing!

There is also a K&N cylindrical filter on it..... I believe that's what chewed up the old turbo wheel that I had to replace. I need to get a better intake setup, but having this is better than nothing as of now!

I definitely want to do some mods, I just don't know what to start with after what's done, and what's affordable as well! I'm taking it pretty easy on the Bronco so far because I have a ways before I can afford to upgrade the axles. This Bronco feels like it's got so much power to it though which is pretty exciting.

Last edited by Bubba Jones; 04-26-2016 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Very nice job, looks sharp!!

Old 04-27-2016, 07:41 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice swap man!

Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome project! One of things every guy wants to do, but only a few have actually gone through with it.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:21 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Bad ***! Man a bronco would be a riot with a juiced up 7.3!

Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Haha thanks guys!

I'm hoping it may just be air in the system, but last night driving it seemed like a few injectors just cut out. They came back pretty quickly the rest of the night. It did it again this morning though when I started. It had trouble starting, and seemed to be running on only some of the injectors. It cleared up in a few miles though and was normal the rest of the trip!

Do you think it's still air in the system from having the fuel lines out? It's been about 140 miles of driving now.

Or, could it be something else? The UVCH connectors look fine, and I replaced the drive side one entirely. I'll just keep driving until it give me more problems though so I can better pinpoint it!

Old 04-28-2016, 01:55 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Haha thanks guys!

I'm hoping it may just be air in the system, but last night driving it seemed like a few injectors just cut out. They came back pretty quickly the rest of the night. It did it again this morning though when I started. It had trouble starting, and seemed to be running on only some of the injectors. It cleared up in a few miles though and was normal the rest of the trip!

Do you think it's still air in the system from having the fuel lines out? It's been about 140 miles of driving now.

Or, could it be something else? The UVCH connectors look fine, and I replaced the drive side one entirely. I'll just keep driving until it give me more problems though so I can better pinpoint it!

I'd think after 140 miles it would be well passed cleared out. Usually about 20-30 miles of hard driving does it...

What oil are you runnning? Is it only a cold start miss?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's sweet. It'll be something that will get a lot of looks

Old 04-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by nossliw
I'd think after 140 miles it would be well passed cleared out. Usually about 20-30 miles of hard driving does it...

What oil are you runnning? Is it only a cold start miss?
It's rotella 15w-30 I believe. The normal rotella stuff from walmart is what I got. It didn't seem like a cold start when miss. In the middle of driving, very abruptly I lost a lot of power but it kept driving. When I went to take off, I stalled out because I had way less power. It restated fine but still had little power. It then decided to regain power about 15 seconds later and it was fine.

This morning, it barely started and had the same issue with no power for about 2 miles, but then it came back to full power. When I went to start it before heading to school today, it wouldn't start at all. I do have the wait to start light, but didn't notice any white smoke.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Did you swap the cap sensor when you swapped the engine? That cam sensor can do some weird things. Motorcraft or IH only on the cam sensor.

Quick Reply: I did it, I won!