1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Hpop rear plate o'ring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hpop rear plate o'ring replacement

Has anyone changed this o'ring out without pulling the pump? I have checked all other places for possible leaks on the pump and they all are dry. It's puddling up on the lip of the rear plate.

I really don't want to pull the pump if I don't have too. I have a good amount of working room since my fuel bowl is gone

Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
I cleaned up the puddles and laid a paper towel under and around the hpop. Let the truck run for a few minutes and it was dry. Just noticed it started to puddle up again on the back of the hpop by the snap ring. So I'm 99.99% sure that is it.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:57 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I have the same thing with my adrenaline. I looked for weeks for my very small leak. I thought it was the O ring on the IPR or the gasket the hpop sits on against the timing cover. I'm also 99.99% sure that's what it is. To make sure that's where its leaking I used brake cleaner around that snap ring and then used goop all around the snap ring 360°. No more leaks but I haven't driven very far and I know the goop will not last. I'm sure Dieselsite would fit it for me but I'm like you, I don't feel like pulling it out of there for such a tiny leak. I know, I know, tiny leaks turn into big leaks!

Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
On my old pump that I just got rid of (because it was a 96+ pump and my motor is a 95, the PO put the wrong one on), I just changed it. However, I had the pump off the motor so the answer to your question is no for me.

I will say though that it was extremely difficult to get that plate out of there AFTER the snap ring was off. I spent a few hours try to twist it, lightly tap it, tap the pump etc until giving up for the night. Then the next day I spent about an hour doing the same thing, then using compress air. Even the compressed air didn't seem to want it to budge but it finally did. After it budged, I had to use tape to try and pull it out, and it took about 30 minutes to pull it out straight even after it was loose.

Everything I read says to take the pump out to install that O-ring, and I can see why. I don't want to try and scare you on not trying it though. I could see it being possible to change it with the pump on, but I'd plan on it taking a day or two to mess with it if you do. I suppose it's better than cleaning up the oil spill and having to change other gaskets if you take the pump off though.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Everything I have looked at says that cover is a PITA to get off. I wonder why? Some type of suction happening, heating up and sticking to something?? Weird!?! I think I am goin to give it a try. When the cover comes off will the oil in the res drain out of there? Or do I need to suck out the hpop res?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:49 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Might be a crazy idea?!?? But what about tack welding something on the plate to make it easier to pull in and out??? Like a nut or something that u can stick a screwdriver in and use the lip as a leverage point?? I'm also brainstorming something to help with the install that makes it easier to push it in straight. Hmmm

Old 04-08-2016, 01:40 AM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
The c-clamp should push it in fairly straight.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lemonshindig
The c-clamp should push it in fairly straight.
I agree, with it out of the truck. But I'm trying to accomplish changing the o'ring with the pump still in the truck.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the plate is aluminum so I don't think you could tack weld something on there unless you have an aluminum welder (plus I think it's kinda thin so it may warp.) However, I think I read something about someone JB welding a little handle on there to pull it off. That or some really strong epoxy. Then you could always break it off and sand is smooth after it goes in.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:02 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
An old fashioned valve lapping stick with suction cup would be perfect for the removal!

Old 04-09-2016, 05:32 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I don't know why you'd try it in the truck standing on your head when you have no fuel bowl in the way to pull it out in no time..

Old 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
I don't know why you'd try it in the truck standing on your head when you have no fuel bowl in the way to pull it out in no time..
that is true but if I can avoid draining the res,(only if the back plate can be removed without doin so) pulling the cover to get the drive bolt, removing the other bolts and have to get a new gasket. I think it's worth a try. I got the o'ring coming. But my main deal about doin it in the truck is its just a snap ring and a plate, but if I have to drain the res anyway to get the plate off without a huge mess then I'm probably goin to end up pulling it. So draining the res is a deal breaker for me.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:27 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Mity-vac and suck it out, no big deal.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:17 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Gasket can be reused

Quick Reply: Hpop rear plate o'ring replacement