Sponsored by:

4wd works then doesnt? no indicator? help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 11:00 PM
hyflyer78
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4wd works then doesnt? no indicator? help

hello guys i have a 97 f150 4.6 sc 4x4 and sometimes the 4wd works great and sometimes it will not engage. when it doesnt engage the dash selector light doesnt light up and i cant hear the t case motor engaging. it has been doing this for about three weeks could it be the t case motor going bad and not engaging or is there other things that will cause this problem. the truck has 84,000 miles but the 4wd system doesnt get used a lot. any help would be appreciated before winter comes along. thanks, john

Old 08-13-2003, 02:36 AM
93EddieB
Freshman User

good tech article.......

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/exp.html

Old 08-21-2003, 04:24 PM
hyflyer78
Freshman User

ok guys went to the web site and did the stated fix and it worked ok for about 4 or 5 turns of the selector then the next day all it will do is lock into 4 hi and stay there it will not come back out i have to take the motor off the t case and manually put it back in 2 hi. when it does this it never shows that its in 4 hi on the dash selector. is the motor just bad i had been having problems with it for over a month. after it goes into 4 hi everything just seems dead. no light , cant hear motor or relays activating or anything. i called the dealer and the motor is 250 dollars any cheaper place to get it. again after i cleaned it it worked ok not liked it did when new so im leaning toward the motor but would like some opinions please. thanks

Old 08-21-2003, 07:21 PM
93EddieB
Freshman User

it could be a switch position sensor that is bad, or the front drive shaft speed sensor.....