2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

We Own Work: My 2017 Super Duty Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:12 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Albertaoil
I'm waiting for the 2017 6.2 myself. I haven't paid much attention to the 2017 until recently and I really like what I'm seeing. I'd always prefer a diesel but in a cold climate it's just not worth it unless you truly need the capacity day after day. A 2017 6.2 with 4.30's could be my next ruck. I'm looking forward to see how it performs.
Unless you live in a really cold climate, a modern diesel works quite well. It starts right up at -10F without being plugged in. The heat is a little slow, but not like the old days.

That said, the gas engine is a good one and I hope they really give it a good power bump. Should only be two or three weeks away from knowing, now.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:14 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Unless you live in a really cold climate, a modern diesel works quite well. It starts right up at -10F without being plugged in. The heat is a little slow, but not like the old days.

Mine started right up at close to -30 without being plugged in on numerous sledding trips to northern Maine and Canada...

Old 06-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Albertaoil
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That said, the gas engine is a good one and I hope they really give it a good power bump. Should only be two or three weeks away from knowing, now.
I've lived it for years. It's not the starting it's the excessive idling that can cause problems and/or warranty issues. The earlier emissions era 6.7 Cummins trucks were the worst but they can all be problematic in the cold. It's just not worth paying the extra cost if you're knowingly doing this and don't need the capacity.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Albertaoil
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Mine started right up at close to -30 without being plugged in on numerous sledding trips to northern Maine and Canada...
Oh, I know lol. The new diesels start without a problem. I have a 2003 Cummins that started at those temps regularly without being plugged in. I still have this truck parked in my yard. I put close to 400,000km's in barely over 3 years in extremely poor conditions and plenty of cold starts in remote places. The -35 or colder stuff I just let it run overnight lol

Again, it's the excessive idling time that can cause issues over time. A powerful gas V8 with good gearing is my thing

Old 06-26-2016, 08:04 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taller trucks look tougher and sell better.
Another 1.5" might just mean she sleep outside...I'm dealing with some TIGHT tolerances in the garage area! LOL

Old 07-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Everything sure is quiet around here.... Guess it's the quiet before the storm.

Hopefully we start seeing pics of the trucks coming down the line and being loaded onto the haulers like we did on the 2011 trucks..

Old 07-05-2016, 06:12 PM
MC_Greenmachine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
Everything sure is quiet around here.... Guess it's the quiet before the storm.

Hopefully we start seeing pics of the trucks coming down the line and being loaded onto the haulers like we did on the 2011 trucks..
I was thinking the same thing, can't wait for it

Old 07-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Albertaoil
I've lived it for years. It's not the starting it's the excessive idling that can cause problems and/or warranty issues. The earlier emissions era 6.7 Cummins trucks were the worst but they can all be problematic in the cold. It's just not worth paying the extra cost if you're knowingly doing this and don't need the capacity.
Harkening back to my days driving over the road and the upper reaches of Maine and Minnesota leaving a truck at idle was never a good thing but definitely better than a $500 charge to thaw and start a frozen engine. A fast idle of 1200 -1400 rpms was ideal. That way the engine generated enough heat to fully burn the fuel and send enough warm fuel back to the fuel tank to help keep even treated fuel from turning to jello. The clouds of white smoke from a diesel which has been idling excessively is the paraffin burning off which collects and sticks to everything in the fuel system when cold. Paraffin also collects on the fuel filter in extreme conditions, indeed it is a nasty part of the diesel formulation which is extremely difficult to dissolve once it forms in the fuel system. Years ago Cummins and Detroit both had hand throttles which were just a cable connected to the throttle and a high idle was difficult to maintain since the engine would change rpm with each degree in temperature rise. Caterpillar had a completely different throttle system and thus once set, would maintain that exact RPM without secondary adjustment. Many used the had throttle as a cruise control since it worked so well. Now with diesels in pickups there is no manual method to control the idle speed without hacking the system. If my 7.3 thinks it is too cold it steps up the idle by itself but once it warms up it drops back to normal again. If I were to live in the far reaches of temperature insanity I would have the ability to turn on the high idle manually for the night. Maybe ten gallons of fuel to run all night, but at least maintaining the required warmth to not only go to work in the morning but also reduce the paraffin and other difficult combustible deposits from their build up.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 AM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Just hook up the high idle and be done with it.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by LCR
Just hook up the high idle and be done with it.
Sounds like high idle may be built in finally, instead of having to hook a resistor to a switch.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:51 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I want to know... did they fix it so you don't need to have your windows closed when using the windshield washer?

Old 07-15-2016, 02:27 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
Hey guys! Just wanted to give y'all an update on things. As we get closer to the numbers being released, I thought I would share a video we did exclusively for the guys and gals here at FTE! One of the cool things about this project has been being able to see how much Ford actually listens to and watches sites like these. Especially FTE.

When we were in Arizona, I asked y'all to shoot me some questions to answer on camera. Got a bunch from the forum and PMs. Here is a rundown of the most asked questions. Monday is the big day. Enjoy!

Old 07-15-2016, 02:51 PM
troverman
Hotshot
[QUOTE=UGA33;16425642]Hey guys! Just wanted to give y'all an update on things. As we get closer to the numbers being released, I thought I would share a video we did exclusively for the guys and gals here at FTE! One of the cool things about this project has been being able to see how much Ford actually listens to and watches sites like these. Especially FTE.

When we were in Arizona, I asked y'all to shoot me some questions to answer on camera. Got a bunch from the forum and PMs. Here is a rundown of the most asked questions. Monday is the big day. Enjoy!

Thanks for the little extra video Josh. One question - the quick disclaimer states horsepower only goes up on C/C models. Does that mean the pickups only see increased torque? Not that 440 is bad!

Old 07-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by UGA33
Hey guys! Just wanted to give y'all an update on things. As we get closer to the numbers being released, I thought I would share a video we did exclusively for the guys and gals here at FTE! One of the cool things about this project has been being able to see how much Ford actually listens to and watches sites like these. Especially FTE.
Thanks for another teaser to start the weekend watch for the Monday releases.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:51 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,872 Likes on 2,790 Posts
I feel like a junky waiting for my next hit.

Quick Reply: We Own Work: My 2017 Super Duty Experience