Sponsored by: Moser

Lifespan of a 2012 F-150 with the 6.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 AM
donnie5336
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifespan of a 2012 F-150 with the 6.2L?

I've been doing alot of research on the 6.2L gas engines in F-150's because I'm looking at purchasing a used one with high mileage. The truck I'm looking at is a 2012 F-150 6.2L and it just hit 160,000. It's a one owner truck, and I personally know the original owner. His a forester so he put's alot of highway miles on a vehicle (nearly 40k per year on this one). Money is no object to him or his family, so any service the vehicle needed was done, and I have most (if not all) of the service records for it. Based on the records I have, the oil was changed at an average of 7,200 miles between changes. I have talked to the original owner he said he never had any problems out of it, and I also know the owner of the shop that did all of the service work and he said he didn't remember it ever having any problems either. I am looking for a truck to last me several years and that is why the high mileage scares me. I would probably put 12-15,000k per year on it, maybe even lower. How much life do you guys think this truck would have left in it, especially with the lower mileage I'd be putting on it? For the price, I could get trucks that are 3-4 years older than this but still with 100-120k miles, and I don't know any history on them. Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think there is any way to know how long a truck will last. I would put a lot of value into knowing the owner and where the truck came from. That is more important to me than guessing at how another truck was used.

What oil was being used and why the 7500 mile change interval? If it wasn't a full synthetic I wouldn't go that long between changes.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:18 PM
donnie5336
New User
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
What oil was being used and why the 7500 mile change interval? If it wasn't a full synthetic I wouldn't go that long between changes.
I don't know on the oil, but I can probably find out. Also, looking back at the records, most service records are between 4-6k, a couple under and a couple over. But then there are about 3 gaps in there of about 10k and I think it's just where service records are missing, so I would think that 7200 average I came up with is on the high side.

EDIT: All I did to calculate the average was divided the total miles of the truck by the number of oil change service records I had available. Most are well under that number, so that's why I think some are missing.

And as for why? What I've read, the 6.2 recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles, but the type of person he is, he either went by his mechanic's recommendation, or followed the oil life meter, and had it changed when it said it needed to be.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:33 PM
donnie5336
New User
I've also got another question. Seems like a silly question but I've never thought of it until reading about this engine. The 6.2 has 2 spark plugs per cylinder, so if I do a compression test, do I just remove one plug and leave the other in? Seems like common sense but just wanted to make sure.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:52 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Well, being that the 6.2 has been logging large amounts of miles in the super duty platform since 2011 with little to no issues I would really have no concern about the engine, not so sure about these transmissions though? they seem pretty tough.

The biggest things I think you'll run into are typical drivetrain wear parts. Ball joints, u-joints, shocks..ect otherwise you could save a bundle on the truck up front.

I have 42k miles on my 2011 6.2 F-150 and it's been flawless, I don't see any reason these trucks can't go 300K with regular maintenance.

Also I've been doing 7,500 mile changes on my truck also per fords recommendations, I did switch to full synthetic at 24k miles. Oil's are good for a lot more miles then the old days as many oil analysis have shown 10,000 mile changes are common these days.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Excursionator
Senior User
FYI, I too posed a question similar to yours on another Ford forum as my 2013 is coming close to the end of the full warranty. I wanted an idea of any 'weakness" in the 6.2. It was suggested that I post the question in the Super Duty forum as that's where about all of the high-mileage owners "reside". I got pretty much the same answers you did. Seems that there are very little problems with the 6.2 out there. Of course there are always exceptions but based on what feedback I received I decided to not worry about it. I might suggest to put a bit of $ back once in a while for future as something has to wear out eventually but, as one respondent wrote to me..."Just enjoy it".

Old 03-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by donnie5336
I've also got another question. Seems like a silly question but I've never thought of it until reading about this engine. The 6.2 has 2 spark plugs per cylinder, so if I do a compression test, do I just remove one plug and leave the other in? Seems like common sense but just wanted to make sure.
Yes, you would only remove one spark plug from each cylinder to do a compression test. The engine will spin over faster if you remove one from each cylinder before starting the test. Then just move the compression gauge to each cylinder.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:00 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
If the price was right, I'd buy that truck in a heartbeat. You're going to have issues with axle shafts, bearings, joints, brakes, etc. on that truck before you have engine failure. Stuff you can handle as the months tick by.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:10 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I also have a 6.2 in a F150. mines a 2013, and it now has 73k. Ive only put 6 k in a year. I like the way it runs, it uses absolutely no oil. 6.2 trucks don't have the electric PS. Only thing about the 6.2 it isn't very economical...lol (Mine has the max tow, and it has 3.73s, and the Big trailer mirrors which Ive read hurts gas mileage) F150s with 6.2s are a rare truck, and when I was looking, I had to go to another state to get it. and the 6.2 F150s were made from 2011-14. so as time goes on they will get rarer and harder to find.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:04 AM
donnie5336
New User
Originally Posted by brokenleg
I also have a 6.2 in a F150. mines a 2013, and it now has 73k. Ive only put 6 k in a year. I like the way it runs, it uses absolutely no oil. 6.2 trucks don't have the electric PS. Only thing about the 6.2 it isn't very economical...lol (Mine has the max tow, and it has 3.73s, and the Big trailer mirrors which Ive read hurts gas mileage) F150s with 6.2s are a rare truck, and when I was looking, I had to go to another state to get it. and the 6.2 F150s were made from 2011-14. so as time goes on they will get rarer and harder to find.
This one has exactly all of that. Lariat package interior with Nav. The inside of the truck is pristine. Looks like one you would see on a lot with 30k on it. Outside has some light scratches and a bump here and there. The guy I know who owned it is a forester for his family's lumber mill, so he logged many a mile scouting timber, and had it in the woods some. Also had skid plates installed at the dealership at 15k miles. He had a ranch hand brush guard and black toolbox on it, but took those off when he traded . The family business has many work/service vehicles so I'm sure they had one to put those things on.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:13 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
I think guys are attracted to the 6.2 simply because it's rare.

However, there is a reason it's rare.

The 5.0 is now rated 385 HP/387 lbs/ft.

The 6.2 was rated 385/405 in the F-250 and 411/434 in the F-150.

So, what you're getting is a SLIGHT bump in horsepower and torque. Nothing ground breaking. In fact, in the Mustang the 5.0 makes more horsepower than them all. Both engines are very similar in terms of power output.

But what you're not getting with the 6.2 is the great fuel economy, the electric power steering, the lighter weight, the cost savings, and the ability to find parts ANYWHERE.

So I think most buyers looked at this and said "naww.....we'll stick with the 5.0" and the bigger V8 never really caught on. That, and the EcoBust gimmick that they've been pushing and convincing people to buy.

In any case, the 6.2 is a rugged engine and it's not had a lot of issues. It should serve you well for a long time. 100,000 miles was significant when I was a boy but times have changed. A quarter million is easy to reach with most modern engines today.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:30 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
I think guys are attracted to the 6.2 simply because it's rare.

However, there is a reason it's rare.

The 5.0 is now rated 385 HP/387 lbs/ft.

The 6.2 was rated 385/405 in the F-250 and 411/434 in the F-150.

So, what you're getting is a SLIGHT bump in horsepower and torque. Nothing ground breaking. In fact, in the Mustang the 5.0 makes more horsepower than them all. Both engines are very similar in terms of power output.

But what you're not getting with the 6.2 is the great fuel economy, the electric power steering, the lighter weight, the cost savings, and the ability to find parts ANYWHERE.

So I think most buyers looked at this and said "naww.....we'll stick with the 5.0" and the bigger V8 never really caught on. That, and the EcoBust gimmick that they've been pushing and convincing people to buy.

In any case, the 6.2 is a rugged engine and it's not had a lot of issues. It should serve you well for a long time. 100,000 miles was significant when I was a boy but times have changed. A quarter million is easy to reach with most modern engines today.

Everyone has an opinion.

Driving a 5.0 and 6.2 back to back in a 2011-2014 with 3.73's in the same truck will net you a different driving experience. The 6.2 has a little more down low and it's quicker. Both respond very well to forced induction and can be mod'd for big power, stock for stock the 6.2 wins no question.

I personally could care less about fuel economy, as my 6.2 is the most fuel efficient truck I own. I did NOT want electric power steering as the number of people with issues with the whole steering rack is slightly alarming to me.

I wanted it for these reasons: Power, Simplicity,Reliability, Exclusivity.

If the 6.2 would have been offered next to the 4.6 and 5.4 I would venture to say it would have out sold both. But the changing economy and fuel prices have changed things a lot. The 6.2 gets the same MPG then our old 3V 5.4 did in the same configuration.

ALL the engines offered 2011-2014 from the 3.7, 5.0, 3.5 and 6.2 are great designs and provide great specs. it's up to the buyer to decide what best fits there needs, my opinion you can't go wrong with any of them as long as it's what you want.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
The 6.2L engine wasn't even offered in lower-end trucks until '13, and even then it was extremely limited availability. CAFE rules mean that they can't sell many 16 MPG trucks without paying penalties to the EPA, so they restrict access.

I guess I'm a sucker twice on your second sentence. Still don't know how you expect anyone to take you seriously like that. It's not your choice, so it's a gimmick that only a fool would choose? Have you always been like that? All options that you didn't choose are for idiots?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:08 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
The 6.2L engine wasn't even offered in lower-end trucks until '13, and even then it was extremely limited availability. CAFE rules mean that they can't sell many 16 MPG trucks without paying penalties to the EPA, so they restrict access.

I guess I'm a sucker twice on your second sentence. Still don't know how you expect anyone to take you seriously like that. It's not your choice, so it's a gimmick that only a fool would choose? Have you always been like that? All options that you didn't choose are for idiots?
Actually the 6.2 has never been available in the low end trucks. you also could not get the 6.2 with the 6.5 bed either. I don't put down people for having the ecoboost engines as people do love them and they do run very very good! Another reason the 6.2 is rare, it was $2500 extra alone. that's quite abit of money.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenleg
Actually the 6.2 has never been available in the low end trucks. you also could not get the 6.2 with the 6.5 bed either. I don't put down people for having the ecoboost engines as people do love them and they do run very very good! Another reason the 6.2 is rare, it was $2500 extra alone. that's quite abit of money.
The order guide suggests otherwise, it's attached. My uncle has a '13 6.2L SuperCrew with the 6.5" box.

From page 2:

Originally Posted by 2013 F150 order guide
PACKAGES/OPTIONS ADDED
• Functional/Powertrain
— 6.2L V8 (Opt. on XLT, FX, Lariat and Platinum) (does not
require Max TT Pkg.)
Either way, the 6.2L F150 is a rare bird indeed.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2013 F-150 Order Guide.pdf (567.3 KB, 107 views)

Quick Reply: Lifespan of a 2012 F-150 with the 6.2L?