New Aerostar owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 AM
Benny Divine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Aerostar owner

Hey,

New to this so bare with me. I just recently bought a 96 XLT 4WD Aerostar. It's got about 158,000 miles on it. It's got a few problems I wanted to ask about.

1. When I'm on the highway, once I reach about 82 or 83mph the transmission seems to slip into neutral. Does fine around the city and every other speed on the highway but once I pass 82mph it slips and revs really high. Could it be the torque converter?

2. Clicking while turning sharp and reversing while turning. I figure it probably needs new cv joints?

3. The gas mileage seems terrible. I still have my Ford Econoline 250 and that seems to be getting better gas mileage. What might cause the mpg to be as bad as 12mpg on the highway?

4. The speedometer goes nuts after about 40mph. Is that an easy fix?

Thanks for any tips anyone can give me!

- Benny

Old 03-28-2016, 06:52 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Welcome, I hope we can provide you with useful information.

1. Check the fluid for condition and level. Fill up or flush if low or smells like it's burnt or looks black instead of red.

2. Most likely suspect is CV joints, although mine will do a low speed clicking just from my turning the wheel while sitting still. Check to make sure the boots aren't torn. If so, and if it's been running like that for a while, the joint probably got dirt contamination and probably should be replaced.

3. Could be the slipping transmission. But check to make sure the plugs have the proper gaps and sharp points on the electrodes. If you replace them, it's a good idea to use double platinum types.

4. There is a vehicle speed sensor in the rear differential, which should be pretty easy to replace. It may be the same one used by other cars like Explorer or Ranger, so should not cost an arm and a leg, like some of the other sensors that are specific to Aerostars. Otherwise, there could be other problems with your instrument panel, but I'm not sure how to pursue those.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Benny Divine
New User
Welp,
Took a turn for the worse when I went to go register the vehicle today. Started having trouble shifting into 3rd and 4th, check engine light came on, overdrive light blinking. It was going back and forth between gears. Checked the fluid. Looked fine, smelled fine. Took it to my very trustworthy transmission guy. Said I should just have the tranny rebuilt : (. Said he'd rebuild the transmission and fix pretty much everything else wrong with it for $2000. Oh well. The interior is immaculate and I really like these vans so guess I'm keepin it

Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 PM
Benny Divine
New User
Thought I got a real good van for $1400 but turns out it's really $3400. Is that worth it?

Originally Posted by Benny Divine
Welp,
Took a turn for the worse when I went to go register the vehicle today. Started having trouble shifting into 3rd and 4th, check engine light came on, overdrive light blinking. It was going back and forth between gears. Checked the fluid. Looked fine, smelled fine. Took it to my very trustworthy transmission guy. Said I should just have the tranny rebuilt : (. Said he'd rebuild the transmission and fix pretty much everything else wrong with it for $2000. Oh well. The interior is immaculate and I really like these vans so guess I'm keepin it

Old 03-29-2016, 12:28 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

If it's in good condition as you say, it probably is worth it. Of course, it's possible that you can find another vehicle of similar utility, condition, and a working transmission for less.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome too, i'm not experienced with the 4WD, I only like RWD cars, that is why I have old cars only, all RWD.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:52 PM
DeanFS
New User
I gotta say it doesn't sound worth it. I priced our current Aerostar at about $1800 with the same mileage, RWD, so your repair clocks in at higher. It may be a long shot, but maybe you can find a cheap Aero with a crappy interior and do a swap? I would also look into transmission swap rather than rebuild. My impression is that a lot of reliable Aerostars could be had for cheap, given their "image" as an outdated family car. I love my cars - they have all impressed me with their reliability - but if a repair totals it, it totals it. Although if I could do the work...

Old 04-21-2016, 05:19 PM
zenish
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id sign up with aaa to get the free towing,change the trans filter and fluid[also adjust the bands]then drive it til it quit[maybe not using overdrive].i suspect it will cost the same to rebuild when it won't go at all.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Benny Divine
New User
Originally Posted by zenish
id sign up with aaa to get the free towing,change the trans filter and fluid[also adjust the bands]then drive it til it quit[maybe not using overdrive].i suspect it will cost the same to rebuild when it won't go at all.
So, like the moron I am, I jumped and got the tranny rebuilt. Now it seems the problem is the speed sensor which is NLA and there sure as hell aren't anymore 4WD aerostars in any junkyards in Louisiana. Guess I'm just gonna put it on Craigslist, see what I can get, lose a lot of money.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:25 PM
zenish
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is the speed sensor on the rear axle?if so id assume it would be the same two or four wheel drive.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:24 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

For that model year, the speed sensor is in the rear axle. You should be able to find it at our sponsor, Rockauto. Note that there are 2 types on the 4wd models; one that goes in the rear axle, and the other goes into the transfer case.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Benny Divine
New User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
For that model year, the speed sensor is in the rear axle. You should be able to find it at our sponsor, Rockauto. Note that there are 2 types on the 4wd models; one that goes in the rear axle, and the other goes into the transfer case.
Is there a difference between the two? I'm assuming my transmission guy tried to replace the one on the transfer case. He said the sensor the sold him that was specified for this model had two pins on the connector thing but the one he pulled off of my van had three pins. All the pictures of the ones online they say work for this van have two pins. Maybe the sensor on the rear axle one is just two pins? I hope so. About to go find out

Old 04-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Benny Divine
All the pictures of the ones online they say work for this van have two pins. Maybe the sensor on the rear axle one is just two pins? I hope so. About to go find out
Here's what I would do:
Go to your local, friendly Ford dealer and try to order your parts using the VIN number.
You will find out that the parts are (probably) discontinued, but that's not the end of the world. If some warehouse would happen to still have the part you need, buy it and enjoy the best replacement parts you can get. If the part truly is discontinued, politely ask the parts man for the needed Ford or Motorcraft part number. Remember that he doesn't HAVE to give you the part number, but since you tried to get it from him, he'll probably give it to you. You can also try Green Sales, a company that specializes in obsolete Ford parts. (Make sure you Google the term Green Sales and not Green Ford)
BTW, as I post this, there are three different Motorcraft speed sensors listed for your vehicle on RockAuto. I'll bet a dollar that one of them is right for your Aerostar.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:07 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

I think the one in the rear axle (in mine anyway) is a two-wire sensor, and is pretty simple. If you look at Rock Auto's listings, they show that this sensor is used in a lot of similar vehicles; Explorer and Ranger with live axles especially.

It's been years since I checked, but I think my transfer case has at least one more of these sensors, as the speed sensor is on the rear output shaft. The 92 and later models use the one in the rear axle as both the speed sensor and RABS sensor, so they don't have that one on the rear output shaft. My transfer case also has one of the 3 wire sensors.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Benny Divine
New User
Originally Posted by Kruse
Here's what I would do:
Go to your local, friendly Ford dealer and try to order your parts using the VIN number.
You will find out that the parts are (probably) discontinued, but that's not the end of the world. If some warehouse would happen to still have the part you need, buy it and enjoy the best replacement parts you can get. If the part truly is discontinued, politely ask the parts man for the needed Ford or Motorcraft part number. Remember that he doesn't HAVE to give you the part number, but since you tried to get it from him, he'll probably give it to you. You can also try Green Sales, a company that specializes in obsolete Ford parts. (Make sure you Google the term Green Sales and not Green Ford)
BTW, as I post this, there are three different Motorcraft speed sensors listed for your vehicle on RockAuto. I'll bet a dollar that one of them is right for your Aerostar.
Ah I'll try those out. Thanks for everyone's input! The reason I panicked was because there was an older thread from '09 where someone had the exact same problem. Had the part number and everything. I searched the part number myself with kind of confusing results but then I am new to this and it was also a thread from '09 so maybe I all hope isn't lost. Maybe just replacing that rear axle sensor will work. Thanks again everyone. This makes owning a vehicle like this much more fun

Quick Reply: New Aerostar owner