Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My '99 7.3PSD starter sometimes spins free 2-3 tries before engaging

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:42 PM
DavidDD
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '99 7.3PSD starter sometimes spins free 2-3 tries before engaging

Hi guys, I'm a new member and I searched the forums but didn't find anything specifically about my problem.
I just bought a 99 F350 for $4000CAD to replace my 01 F250 5.4 and i'm pretty stoked.
There are several problem (some i knew about, some were surprises) 1 of which is the starter. The guy I bought it off said that every 100 starts or so (more like every 4-5) the starter sounds like it free-wheels but you just wait for it to stop, turn the key again (sometimes twice) and it engages and starts (although it takes a few seconds of turning over before it fires up).
I have a buddy with the same truck and he has had to replace his starter many times and I read in an old log book from the original owner that he had replaced the starter every 25,000kms (15,000miles).
I am not the kind of guy who likes to fix things to have them break again.

SO my question is, WHY do the starters on these trucks keep breaking?
What is the weak link?
Is it possible to re-build one with better parts at home?
Is the problem partially because my batteries are only 650CCA and 750CCA and it takes more to turn this beast over?
Could it be a bendix issue?
I'd rather not spend $600 on a high performance starter if i can avoid it, otherwise I guess I'll just buy them from the auto-wrecker for $125 at a time...
Thanks in advance guys!

Old 03-26-2016, 12:48 PM
goldswim5
Senior User
I had this problem off and on on mine when I got it this winter. Got worse and worse until I ordered a new starter. Got under the truck to replace the old one and the thing was so loose it was about to fall out. Tightened it down, and haven't had an issue with it in a few months.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:25 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Low voltage also kills starters. Make sure those bolts are nice and tight.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 AM
DavidDD
3rd Gear
Thanks guys but the starter and the connections are tight.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Are you sure its the starter and not the fly wheel missing some teeth?

Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM
SMT_FORD
Junior User
Originally Posted by DavidDD
The guy I bought it off said that every 100 starts or so (more like every 4-5) the starter sounds like it free-wheels but you just wait for it to stop, turn the key again (sometimes twice) and it engages and starts (although it takes a few seconds of turning over before it fires up)

The magnetic field is either weak or corroded. Dismantle and reinstall. If it still does it, replace the unit or rebuild. Remember, electricity = magnetism. Check all connections inside and out to include soldered joints.

I have a buddy with the same truck and he has had to replace his starter many times and I read in an old log book from the original owner that he had replaced the starter every 25,000kms (15,000miles). I am not the kind of guy who likes to fix things to have them break again.

You have an issue unrelated to the starter which is causing failure or you're (he) is buying Junk.

SO my question is, WHY do the starters on these trucks keep breaking?

They don't. There is nothing wrong with these starters. In fact, between Ford, Cummins, and Several Emergency Equipment Suppliers there is probably about 5 million in circulation.

What is the weak link? .

99.9% it's the operator.

What causes these starters to meet their demise: Cranking without cooling. Cranking for two minutes and not allowing to cool for 15 minutes between tries, Loose Wiring, Heat, Trauma, Incorrect installation, Letting off the ignition switch before the engines has started or starting before the glow plugs have been active for a prescribed period.

Is it possible to re-build one with better parts at home? .

Better? The use of higher quality parts will lend itself to a longer more productive life.

Is the problem partially because my batteries are only 650CCA and 750CCA and it takes more to turn this beast over?

The maximum Amperage Draw is 742 AMPS. Anything higher is out of range. With two 750 CC you should see 1,500 CCA at 32*F.

Could it be a Bendix issue?

It could be a Quality issue.

I'd rather not spend $600 on a high performance starter if i can avoid it, otherwise I guess I'll just buy them from the auto-wrecker for $125 at a time... Thanks in advance guys! .

Me neither. I would get it repaired. Get a wiring diagram and inspect everything to include condition. You do have a 16+ year vehicle and it requires a stepped-up inspection plan if you want it to function as close perfect as possible.

Ensure the parts bought are high quality. Research and inspection. If its taking longer to turn the engine over its perhaps an issue with the engine and not the starter. Maybe Batteries. The only way to get out of it what you want is to put into what it needs.

FTW

Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If it spinning "free" during the attempts to start, sounds like a bendix (starter drive) issue. Do you hear any other noises while cranking? Bad teeth on the flywheel's ring gear can prevent it from engaging properly and not "kick in". I would also remove the cover on the trans and inspect the teeth. A starter shop should be able to replace the drive for you rather inexpensively. There has to be a reason for so many starter replacements and you need to find the root problem.