1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F1 Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:07 AM
BayouFlyFisher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 F1 Transmission Help

Grandson & BayouFlyFisher

My daughter and I recently acquired a 49 F1 with flathead 6 and 4 speed crashbox. While she can drive the truck and deal with double clutching, it isn't something she (nor I for that matter) wants to do so on a long term basis. So, I've looked at a ton of threads here and on other sites about what Ford transmissions would be acceptable, considering we'd like to keep the stock motor as it is a nice strong runner. So we would like to find a decent 3 speed or 4 speed floor shift transmission (with synchro's of course). But the help I need is in finding one. So far the only transmissions I find for sale or either the same one we already have or some 3 speeds with column shift. My Google foo must not be too strong as I've not really found anything yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BayouFlyFisher (Baton Rouge, LA)

ETA: Photo

Last edited by BayouFlyFisher; 03-22-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Add Pictures
Old 03-22-2016, 10:23 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome FTE. Do you have pictures of your truck? We like pictures here.

I see three speeds show up from time to time on craigslist. I'd say be patient and keep an eye out there and one is bound to show up eventually.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:24 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Good looking ride. So the stock 3 speed trannies are only syncro between 2nd and 3rd. The conversion would also require a change to the drive shaft and mounting. Using a newer unit likely would need a change to the bell housing. The smarter folks will be along shortly.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:05 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 2 of the 3spd LD truck tranny's but one is my donor because the cluster is shot on the original. Definitely only synch'd between 2nd/3rd. Now on my 52 I don't believe it's synch'd at all and requires double clutching. It's the 4 speed spur gear type. There is a 4 spd synch'd model for a 48-52 but I'm not sure it would bolt up or not. Maybe someone can help with that?

Old 03-22-2016, 04:26 PM
BayouFlyFisher
New User
I would be thrilled to find a synchro'd 4 speed!! I figured the drive shaft and perhaps mounts would have to modified almost regardless of what I end up with. I can live with that.

Thanks!!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:56 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 971 Likes on 864 Posts
Your rear axle gear ratio is not very friendly with most 4 speeds. Unless, of course, it's another truck type. Just a suggestion, but if I were going to the trouble of changing the tranny, I would opt for the B/W 5 speed so familiar with members here. Doing so will give you the synchros you want and an added bonus of a 5th gear overdrive.
Automotive 4 speeds have a final drive of 1 to 1, like your current tranny. If you are going to do the work, you might as well reap all the available benefits.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:08 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
F-1 trucks are severely limited on transmission options unless you cut the cross member in your frame since the stock transmission is so short. I'm not willing to hack a frame myself. The above mentioned T-5 requires cutting. I recommend a stock floor shift three speed as used from 42 to 50. Keep your eyes on craigslist, local car folks, etc. and you should find one. The lack of syncro on first is not much of a problem. Just don't shift into first or reverse unless you are stopped. When stopped and shifting into first or reverse give a gentle nudge at second or third to stop the gears in the transmission, then move the stick to first or reverse.

Depending on the current gearing you may also be interested in the newly available higher speed gears for the rear axle, 3.54 ratio.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher
I would be thrilled to find a synchro'd 4 speed!! I figured the drive shaft and perhaps mounts would have to modified almost regardless of what I end up with. I can live with that.

Thanks!!
The T9 is the crash box 4 speed. The synchro 4 speed is the T98, which is longer than the T9. But as already stated, both use a different bell housing from the 3 speed. I believe the T98 is also only synched 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BayouFlyFisher
I have a HD 3 speed Borg Warner T-87D (synchronized in 2nd and 3rd) floor shifter that I don't need but I hesitate to offer it as there are 2 issues.
1) It has been completely rebuilt (new bearings, syncro rings, countershaft, gear cluster, and seals) and I have a good amount of money into it so it is expensive. They are not readily available especially in this condition.
2) It is very heavy and I am in Michigan. Shipping would be a pain. I am planning on going to the F100 Supernationals in Lebanon, TN on May 12, 13, and 14th and I could bring it with me if you wanted to meet me there

Old 03-23-2016, 09:56 AM
BayouFlyFisher
New User
Originally Posted by Cougar54
BayouFlyFisher
I have a HD 3 speed Borg Warner T-87D (synchronized in 2nd and 3rd) floor shifter that I don't need but I hesitate to offer it as there are 2 issues.
1) It has been completely rebuilt (new bearings, syncro rings, countershaft, gear cluster, and seals) and I have a good amount of money into it so it is expensive. They are not readily available especially in this condition.
2) It is very heavy and I am in Michigan. Shipping would be a pain. I am planning on going to the F100 Supernationals in Lebanon, TN on May 12, 13, and 14th and I could bring it with me if you wanted to meet me there.

I assume that you cannot "PM" me since you have so few posts. If you are interested, you can email me at ddiehl1@yahoo.com .
Thanks for the response. I've sent you an email.

Johnny aka BayouFlyFisher

Old 03-23-2016, 01:41 PM
pezsox
Senior User
What is a 1948 Ford F1 Light Duty 3spd transmission called? I see T5, 9, 87, etc.. I also see top load, side load, etc.. I am officially confused!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
It's a T86. Strictly speaking, "T" numbers are Borg-Warner numbers, but Ford built these under license from B-W. The LD was made in both top-loader (48-50 trucks with floor shift) and side-loader (51-52 column shifter). Internally a side-shifter and top-loader are identical except for the shifter components.

Edit: I should qualify my response. There was a change in the internals in 51 that means a 48-50 can't use some parts from a 51-52, and vice versa. Not an issue unless you are going to buy new or used parts.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Johnny,
Welcome Aboard! You & your son should have a lot of fun with your F1.
We've got a '50 F1 but my son runs off to college with it quite a bit!

I can't help you too much we went restomod with our's & we have an AOD
overdrive transmission with a 351W V8.

Good luck over there!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 03-23-2016, 03:57 PM
BayouFlyFisher
New User
Thanks Ben. But that fine young man in the picture is my grandson. He and his mom are part of this project. Cody is a jeep and truck guy that works on his and ALL of his friend's trucks/jeeps. This will be his first build of a vintage truck. Erin, my daughter, has been chomping at the bit for a while now to get an old truck. She's looking forward to getting her hands dirty. We're all pretty excited.

Pezsox, you perfectly explained my level of confusion!!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher
Pezsox, you perfectly explained my level of confusion!!
And Ross answered all the questions in post #12 above.

Quick Reply: 1949 F1 Transmission Help