2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

2013 Explorer BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Rodgolding
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Explorer BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited with the Blind Spot Information System and Cross Traffic Alert. Quit working a couple of weeks ago after going through a small puddle. Not sure if this had anything to do with it though. The passenger side seems to work fine picking up vehicles as they come along side. The drivers side however doesn't pick up any vehicles and I get error messages when I start up the vehicle ever time. I think the sensor may be bad on the drivers side. Took it to a Ford dealer and they wanted to test the electrical system starting at the control module. Said they would charge me by the hour and it would be an all day job. If the passenger side is working and they are on the same fuse, wouldn't that be a sensor?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:27 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Well it could be except that its not just a sensor. There is a detector module on each side inside the rear bumper cover. This thing is a mini radar unit. I really doubt its an all day job - you might want to take it to a less greedy dealer. It could be the module, the wiring, or the main control module but the only and fairly easy way to find out is to plug a scan tool into the system and read out the fault code(s), then take it from there. The shop manual has a fairly clear troubleshooting procedure for this. If it is the detector module inside the rear bumper cover, it is necessary to use the diagnostic tool to download the configuration from the old module and upload it to the replacement. It probably takes a little while to get to the module to replace it but not all day!

Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Rodgolding
New User
When you are talking about a scan tool are talking about the same tool that scans engine codes?

Old 03-21-2016, 02:04 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Rodgolding
When you are talking about a scan tool are talking about the same tool that scans engine codes?
Probably not. Most of the inexpensive scan tools can read powertrain, transmission and (maybe) ABS codes since there is a standard for those. They rarely read the proprietary codes used by each manufacturer for the various electronic "ghee-whiz" systems. You'll need a Ford scan tool for that. The same scan tool that's capable of programming the various replacement modules on the vehicle.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Rodgolding
New User
Nothing I can buy at retail I take it.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Just a quick check on line shows the Ford scan tool along with the required laptop computer for around $3000.00. Then there's the $800.00 PER YEAR software license fee. You don't cough up the 800 bucks each 365 days and it all becomes a boat anchor.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Rodgolding
New User
Yeh, Just a bit much for the average john q homeowner to purchase. How do they get to all this crap in the bumper. Remove the bumber?

Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Rodgolding
New User
I don't mind spending money if I know it is going to be fixed when it is all said and done. Does it have to be a Ford dealer or would other shops have the scanner?

Old 03-21-2016, 02:18 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Nothing I can buy at retail I take it.
Take it to a dealer. Let them scan it and at least you'll have an idea how big a dent the repairs will make in your wallet. Doubt it will be cheap. Or live with it and drive like you used to before BLISS.
Personally, I've never found the system very accurate. While it almost never misses a vehicle in my blind spot it also rarely misses concrete road dividers two feet from the side of my car at 60 mph.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:22 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Yeh, Just a bit much for the average john q homeowner to purchase. How do they get to all this crap in the bumper. Remove the bumber?
Its on the side, just forward of the bumper under the "bumper cover" just behind the rear wheel.

I doubt most independent shops would have the necessary equipment since the scan tool is Ford specific. They all have the generic ones for powertrain / transmission / ABS.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Rodgolding
New User
One more question and then I won't bother you anymore. Is the passenger side and drivers side on separate circuits?

Old 03-21-2016, 03:29 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
One more question and then I won't bother you anymore. Is the passenger side and drivers side on separate circuits?
Actually, there are 2 networks in the vehicle, a high speed and a medium speed network. The BLISS system is on the medium speed network. Every device on each network can "see" every other device on its network. That's why to replace one of the modules, its configuration has to be downloaded into the scan tool and uploaded into the replacement module. Each module has a unique identity. The fact that ONE of your BLISS sensors is talking to the system seems to indicate that the network is OK. The problem could be a non working sensor or the connector plugged into it. The modules are not exactly in a clean and dry location.
Unfortunately, you'll still need a dealership technician to check it out and repair it. But again - there's no way its an all day job. The hardest part would be removing the bumper cover and that doesn't look like a big deal.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Rodgolding
New User
Finally for this repaired at my local Ford dealer. A $2,000 repair that involved a short in the harness going to the unit and replacing the actual module behind the drivers side rear wheel. Forgot that I had purchased a extended warranty that covered everything, just a $200 deductible. Works perfect now.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:46 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Just curious - in your OP you said the Ford dealer told you it would be an all day job and they were going to charge you by the hour to locate the problem. After you told them you had an extended warranty, how long did it take them to FIND the problem?