1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Alternator light on the dash, what else makes it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Alternator light on the dash, what else makes it...

The past few weeks the dashboard warning light for my alternator/battery will occasionally light up while driving down the road. Whenever it does, my plug in voltage meter shows a healthy 14.x reading. It usually goes out after a few seconds, but will stay lit up for as much as thirty seconds.

So other than voltage being too high or too low, what else will cause the dash trouble light to illuminate?

Stewart

Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 PM
SMT_FORD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Lamp is illuminated when a circuit from the Alternator to the Lamp "Opens". What I have found when this occurs )providing, like yours, the Alternator is outputting within Specifications) is the wire from the Alternator is chafed on the D/S Valve Cover and/or the Pins in the Fuse Block are corroded.

Hope this lends to a successful outcome.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:51 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine did that for about 6 weeks before the alternator quit. Did it both on my 6.0 and this 7.3

Old 03-14-2016, 07:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How long has the truck been running at this point? And what is the .xx value? Big difference in 0.1 and .099.

Most of the time that light means alternator. Either charging too high or too low. But if the batteries are in good shape, the voltage regulator should drop down below the 14.xx charging rate after a short period.

I'd check the specific gravity of each cell of both batteries (floating ball tester thingy) and put them on a trickle charge overnight to rule out the batteries.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
when my 02 does that i have to push the 2 wire plug into the alternator. every now and then it loosens up enough to loose connection and turn the light on.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:26 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,108 Posts
The ONLY thing that bulb connects to is the voltage regulator in the alternator. The ONLY thing that can cause the light to illuminate is a ground path through the wire. I'm not sure SMT_FORD knows the difference between a shorted and an open circuit but disconecting the wire anywhere (open) will not cause the light to illuminate. In Tom's case, I think he should read the next paragraph. Actually, in his case (02), the PCM controls the alternator excite wire instead of 12v through the bulb filament in key-on so there IS the possibility of a loose connection.

What you may want to do (because it's free) is disassemble the alternator and tighten the screws that attach the regulator to the case. They have a habit of loosening and then the regulator has no idea what the voltage output is (no reliable ground baseline) so it grounds the circuit for the bulb and your light comes on. Try to remember if it happens under a certain load or at a certain RPM. Certain engine harmonics can really aggravate the concern.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
I changed out the plug at the alternator when mine did that and it resolved the issue. O'Reilly's was damn proud of that plug though, but it was made better than the OEM.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Actually, in his case (02), the PCM controls the alternator excite wire instead of 12v through the bulb filament in key-on so there IS the possibility of a loose connection.
Can't tell from your post, but I'm guessing this is one the changes that occurred in the 02 and up models? The 01 and earlier are different?

I wonder how many "lifetime" alternators I've replaced due to a loose voltage regulator? And how many sets of batteries ended up being replaced shortly afterward as a result?

I've pulled them apart before to check the condition of the brushes, but never thought to check for loose screws on the voltage regulator.

I miss the days that was separate from the alternator and only cost $5 or so. (Seems like the alternator was only around $30 then, but combine the two in one case and it becomes a hundred dollar bill).

Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I remember reading that you should NEVER disconnect the alternator when the engine is running or the key is in the on position....

Maybe someone else can chime in why?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2000 7.3 did this last year and I could tap it with a wrench lightly and light would go out. Something was sticking in my opinion, installed new alternator and cured problem.
Check voltage when light is glowing and check it when light is off should see a difference.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I remember reading that you should NEVER disconnect the alternator when the engine is running or the key is in the on position....

Maybe someone else can chime in why?
correct. the battery is a load to the regulator. if it is disconnected, the regulator goes full power, and can put out extremely high voltage frying all your electronics.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Mine was the alternator itself.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:47 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
correct. the battery is a load to the regulator. if it is disconnected, the regulator goes full power, and can put out extremely high voltage frying all your electronics.
Thanks! I didn't remember the details, just filed it in the gray room as "B.A.D"

Old 03-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
How long has the truck been running at this point?
The run-time when the light illuminates varies.

And what is the .xx value? Big difference in 0.1 and .099.
14.0 to 14.2 usually, when the light comes on. Sometimes it will drop to 13.8 volts.

But if the batteries are in good shape, the voltage regulator should drop down below the 14.xx charging rate after a short period.
The batteries are in excellent shape, in my opinion, based on how they responded during my CPS problem on the dunes.

I'd check the specific gravity of each cell of both batteries (floating ball tester thingy)
They are yellow top Optima batteries.

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
What you may want to do (because it's free) is disassemble the alternator and tighten the screws that attach the regulator to the case. They have a habit of loosening and then the regulator has no idea what the voltage output is (no reliable ground baseline) so it grounds the circuit for the bulb and your light comes on.
Thanks Cody, I'll try this.

Try to remember if it happens under a certain load or at a certain RPM. Certain engine harmonics can really aggravate the concern.
It will happen at all RPM's, whether driving down the freeway, stop-and-go city driving, or sitting at a stop light at idle.

Different input on the go-pedal (whether moving at speed or stopped) doesn't change anything.

I've been wanting to try and rebuild my own alternator anyway, so doing what Cody suggested will help me get off my tushie and get started.

Stewart

Old 03-18-2016, 04:23 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Piece of cake. Just make sure to find a toothpick for reassembly.

Quick Reply: Alternator light on the dash, what else makes it...