Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace my 17 yr old springs or air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:27 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Replace my 17 yr old springs or air bags?

New camper is a bit more of a beast than the old, so pondering my options. Keep in mind I have a 2WD.

I talked to Jr at ATS about new rear springs and he recommended some replacement C codes that are rated about 800 lbs more per spring than stock and will raise the rear 2 inches or so over stock. I have no idea how saggy my springs are compared to new, but they are 17 yrs old and have bounced around for 160K.

My other option would be air bags. My goal is to level the truck with the trailer hooked up. I've never had any of the infamous wander and have been very happy with how the truck handles towing anything I have put behind it with the original springs. I do already have the RAS system and a Hellwig sway bar.

Springs will be a bit more $$ than air bags, but that's not really a factor. It's a tank of gas difference. I'm leaning towards springs, but I'll be happy to listen to my FTE brothers.

Opinions?

Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
New camper is a bit more of a beast than the old, so pondering my options. Keep in mind I have a 2WD.

I talked to Jr at ATS about new rear springs and he recommended some replacement C codes that are rated about 800 lbs more per spring than stock and will raise the rear 2 inches or so over stock. I have no idea how saggy my springs are compared to new, but they are 17 yrs old and have bounced around for 160K.

My other option would be air bags. My goal is to level the truck with the trailer hooked up. I've never had any of the infamous wander and have been very happy with how the truck handles towing anything I have put behind it with the original springs. I do already have the RAS system and a Hellwig sway bar.

Springs will be a bit more $$ than air bags, but that's not really a factor. It's a tank of gas difference. I'm leaning towards springs, but I'll be happy to listen to my FTE brothers.

Opinions?
If Your Happy And You Know It Bag Your Rear Bags will give you an adjustable *** end The best of both empty/tow rides.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:55 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eric, for starters make sure your RAS is set to the higher setting (quarter size spacer if I recall)...

I have all of the above, what I like about the Airbags is I can leave very little air in them and it does not effect my ride. With my setup I sit about 2inches higher in the rear and if I need to tow I can get an additional 2 inches with the airbags.

Unless your Ex is a dedicated tow vehicle I would just do bags. If it's a dedicated tow vehicle do both. I think there's plenty of room in that new garage for either project.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:57 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Eric, why did you wait until Tom @WE3ZS is driving to his spring break in TN to ask this question?

I would do the springs and then (if necessary) add the bags since you already have the rear sway.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the bags they do help with the squat but not control. I feel like the springs would be a better option. Personally I will have the Modified C codes and Shocks at my door when I get in from off shore. I have a question for you I cant remember is there any blocks under our 2wd rear springs? If there is and if the new springs give me to much lift i will pull out the block if possible or add a spacer to the front coils. I am watching the $4000 excursion thread to see the results they have with new front coils and spacers.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:11 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilfield Trash
I have the bags they do help with the squat but not control.
this confuses me,

the correct air bags for the intended load will allow you to adjust a vehicle to a level ride height by increasing the spring rate. that is the "control" for which they were intended.

air bags are ideal for towing simply because they allow for a lower spring rate for Daily driving without a load and increased rate for loads.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:45 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
this confuses me,

the correct air bags for the intended load will allow you to adjust a vehicle to a level ride height by increasing the spring rate. that is the "control" for which they were intended.

air bags are ideal for towing simply because they allow for a lower spring rate for Daily driving without a load and increased rate for loads.

I get it, (sort of anyway.....) based on my experience towing heavy with the stock springs. Back then I had some damned scary rear steer going on due to the stock springs wrapping and twisting in all directions. I have not used air bags on EX either with the stock springs or the upgraded B codes so I don't know what the changes with them would feel like, I understand that the bags are air springs (I have used bags and full air ride in other vehicles and uses) and will help support the load but I don't know how they would impact the unwanted movements back there under heavy use.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:49 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I get it, (sort of anyway.....) based on my experience towing heavy with the stock springs. Back then I had some damned scary rear steer going on due to the stock springs wrapping and twisting in all directions.
obviously I have not seen your setup but I'd wager a fair sum that the scary steering was not caused by "wrapping and twisting" the more likely cause of that was weight distribution and understeer that is made worse by the *** down posture.

spring wrap is caused by torque and is really only a issue under full throttle when you first get moving, or panic braking situation where the rear tires are skidding or almost skidding can also cause enough axle wrap to be a problem... but axle wrap does not cause "rear steer" unless you have worn out bushings in the eyes or shackle.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:00 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
obviously I have not seen your setup but I'd wager a fair sum that the scary steering was not caused by "wrapping and twisting" the more likely cause of that was weight distribution and understeer that is made worse by the *** down posture.

spring wrap is caused by torque and is really only a issue under full throttle when you first get moving, or panic braking situation where the rear tires are skidding or almost skidding can also cause enough axle wrap to be a problem... but axle wrap does not cause "rear steer" unless you have worn out bushings in the eyes or shackle.

Somewhere I have a few pics of the towing setup with the stock springs and old TH, I'll have to look for them after we get home from this trip.
At that time the WD hitch did have the front end reloaded pretty well (again I don't have those numbers here with me) and the rear still had a bit of squat, but the heavy TW from that TH was doing some serious pushing that the rear suspension was not keeping up with. The first tow after the spring swap was like driving different truck.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:13 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Eric, for starters make sure your RAS is set to the higher setting (quarter size spacer if I recall)...

I have all of the above, what I like about the Airbags is I can leave very little air in them and it does not effect my ride. With my setup I sit about 2inches higher in the rear and if I need to tow I can get an additional 2 inches with the airbags.

Unless your Ex is a dedicated tow vehicle I would just do bags. If it's a dedicated tow vehicle do both. I think there's plenty of room in that new garage for either project.
I verified the setting just now and it's a fat quarter space on the coils.

I've got a few projects I need to tackle on the EX. Bigger hitch bolts is the biggy, probably going to drop the tank while I am at it and change the fuel pump preemptively.

Originally Posted by mecdac
Eric, why did you wait until Tom @WE3ZS is driving to his spring break in TN to ask this question?

I would do the springs and then (if necessary) add the bags since you already have the rear sway.
I'm in no real hurry to make this decision, but I see Tom stopped at a rest area just to say hi!

Originally Posted by Oilfield Trash
I have the bags they do help with the squat but not control. I feel like the springs would be a better option. Personally I will have the Modified C codes and Shocks at my door when I get in from off shore. I have a question for you I cant remember is there any blocks under our 2wd rear springs? If there is and if the new springs give me to much lift i will pull out the block if possible or add a spacer to the front coils. I am watching the $4000 excursion thread to see the results they have with new front coils and spacers.
There is just a short block to attach to the axle, an inch tops.

I'm of the opinion that the lack of a block is why you rarely hear about a 2WD wandering or having the rear move around as much with the stock springs. I'm no engineer, but just looking at any sort of block, it seems like it will increase the leverage of the spring in unwanted directions.

Looking at the stance it has now, I don't think I would like it sitting 3 inches higher in the back. That would obligate me to replace the front springs and maybe a leveling block.

I'm wondering how worn out do springs get in 17 years and 160K miles. They seem OK, aside from more squat than I want with 1000+ lbs on the hitch. Off the bump stops in the front by 2+ inches.

Now I guess I am back leaning towards bags. I'm still listening to feedback.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:28 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

I've got a few projects I need to tackle on the EX. Bigger hitch bolts is the biggy, probably going to drop the tank while I am at it and change the fuel pump preemptively.
I like the way you think.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Somewhere I have a few pics of the towing setup with the stock springs and old TH, I'll have to look for them after we get home from this trip.
At that time the WD hitch did have the front end reloaded pretty well (again I don't have those numbers here with me) and the rear still had a bit of squat, but the heavy TW from that TH was doing some serious pushing that the rear suspension was not keeping up with. The first tow after the spring swap was like driving different truck.
I'm not getting any of that at all. The new trailer towed great as is on the 175 mile trip home. As good or better than the old trailer. 2 fingers on the wheel good. It's just a lot more tongue weight now and will be even more weight loaded to camp.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:16 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
there are a ton of critical details in all of that to factor into a setup but sure, changing the spring rate, spring length, suspension travel, block height, ride height and hitch setups is going to be be like driving a different truck.

that's why air springs are a sweet setup on the fly adjustability.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:27 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
I agree that air bags are a great addition to the suspension on a rig that hauls or tows heavy, I have used them in the past on other vehicles.
Since Eric isn't having any of the issues that I had with my stock setup then I think bags may be a good choice for him. Especially with a RWD EX, so many of the heavier rear springs from the trucks will give a lot of rake and raising the front of the RWD rigs to match can get pretty involved.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:28 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver

I'm of the opinion that the lack of a block is why you rarely hear about a 2WD wandering or having the rear move around as much with the stock springs. I'm no engineer, but just looking at any sort of block, it seems like it will increase the leverage of the spring in unwanted directions.
I would love to hear your therory on how rear axle blocks cause wandering.

my therory on why you don't hear about 2wd Ex wandering is 2 fold, 1: they do not share the same marginal caster setup and leaf spring sag as the 4wd and there are just fewer of them to hear about when components do wear out.

blocks do increase the leverage the axle places on the leaf spring which under a full throttle launch will induce a bit more spring wrap but I doubt you would or could notice any difference in axle wrap between no block and a 2" block, maybe if you were drag racing you would get more wheel hop off the starting line. maybe.

Quick Reply: Replace my 17 yr old springs or air bags?