Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Bently Coop and the Birthday curse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 05:57 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Socket set arriving Saturday. May be able to torque most plugs before it hits the shop next week. That would be a win in my book.

@harley4jcs here is the set I ordered. Fordtechmakuloko has more information on them, check his YouTube channel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000N...arwrench+5%2F8
Thanks Bently, I took a look & saw that they offer the 6" by it's self for $15 Please let me know if that is the 1 that you use for ALL your plugs

I'd be a little concerned with the $50 + bid. The dealer will not even right the service ticket for $50 labor Just seem like a low ball bid to get you in
Good Luck in this quest.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
You could be right. That didn't include parts though.

Probably can only trust these people as as far as I can throw them.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 AM
bluetorp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, $50 doesn't sound right at all.

Whoever you take it to, talk to the service manager/mechanic and find out what type of inserts they use. I would like to think that any dealership would be using Time-Sert or Lock-N-Stitch, but I learned a long time ago what happens when assumptions are made.

The last thing you want is to spit out a Helicoil farther down the line...

Old 03-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
I think that is just to replace and torque and then see if a lock-n-stitch is necessary. I would definitely prefer a lock-n-stich be used to prevent further mishaps.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:19 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
I think that is just to replace and torque and then see if a lock-n-stitch is necessary. I would definitely prefer a lock-n-stich be used to prevent further mishaps.
HELL, That's $50 you can save No way would I pay them $50 JUST to tell me there are no usable threads where the plug BLEW OUT
You should see if they will give you a straight answer to the question : What will it cost to put a insert in where the plug use to sit
Please don't for get me tomorrow after you torque the others. Will you use the 6" on all the plugs ??

Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
I called a bunch of people today, some for clarification and others for estimates. Prices range from $400-900. Need to call Sound again and get a better estimate as you guys have mentioned. Thought about what you guys said and the factors involved a bit more. No way I would get out of there for $150. It's $75 in parts alone.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:32 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
I called a bunch of people today, some for clarification and others for estimates. Prices range from $400-900. Need to call Sound again and get a better estimate as you guys have mentioned. Thought about what you guys said and the factors involved a bit more. No way I would get out of there for $150. It's $75 in parts alone.
What parts?? Is the plug still good (it's new enough ) New coil pack & insert.What else ?? Seems mostly a labor job & according to the vids 40 mins at that I hope you find a shop that knows what their doing, Should be fairly common job ??

I stopped by a local shop the other day cause I had 5 min & had been wanting to check them out for some time. It's called GEAR GUY, So I go in & ask : what will it run to throw in 4.56s f&R. It was like they did not even know what the hell I was talking about, I mean really I EXpected to get a # off the cuff just for grins. 20 mins taking down info & now 2 days later STILL no estimate ?? I literally asked the guy : Have you ever done this before

Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You might give Fugate a call up in Enumclaw. BTW the Powershop with TU
as fars the service bays go. They re still selling parts last time I checked.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 03-11-2016, 10:52 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wowsers! 400-900$ to fix one plug? You could buy the repair kit, a nice air compressor to blow any debris out of the cylinder and A bunch of nice tools for that kind of money and do it yourself and still be money ahead if you were comfortable fixing it yourself.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:43 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by twigsV10
Wowsers! 400-900$ to fix one plug? You could buy the repair kit, a nice air compressor to blow any debris out of the cylinder and A bunch of nice tools for that kind of money and do it yourself and still be money ahead if you were comfortable fixing it yourself.
Well you do have to pay for all that schooling. And the kids and grandkids schooling while your at it.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 03-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Yahiko
You might give Fugate a call up in Enumclaw. BTW the Powershop with TU
as fars the service bays go. They re still selling parts last time I checked
What is TU? I called Fugate but they only have a Lube Tech service advisor. Will have to call back on Monday.

Originally Posted by twigsV10
Only, thing is I don't have room for a compressor nor have a bunch of funding to tie up in one at this time. You are correct for the higher end pricing.

Called Sound again and they are around $400 plus parts. $120 for a COP. :-eek

Thanks to @bigzirb for the offer on the repair kit as well.

At this point I think I'm going to be at the $400 out the door pricing, and will have to suck it up. A couple more calls on Monday and make a decision.

Tools did come in today So I am hoping to get one bank of re-torquing done Monday as well.

Couple links for the repair kits I found on Amazon. Loctite could probably be purchased locally though.

Amazon.com: CalVan Tools 38900 Ford Spark Plug Insert Installer: Home Improvement Amazon.com: CalVan Tools 38900 Ford Spark Plug Insert Installer: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: ATD Tools 5400 Cylinder Repair Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: ATD Tools 5400 Cylinder Repair Kit: Automotive

Amazon.com: LocTite 266 Threadlocker High Temp High Strength 10 Ml: Automotive Amazon.com: LocTite 266 Threadlocker High Temp High Strength 10 Ml: Automotive

Old 03-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
What is TU? I called Fugate but they only have a Lube Tech service advisor. Will have to call back on Monday.
Just trying to keep family friendly.
TU as in **** Up or a nicer way to say it
Belly Up.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 03-12-2016, 11:03 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it's worth and not to be taken as advice, one of my friends cross threaded a compression tester someone gave him while playing with it on his 5.4 2v truck, I don't know exactly which insert repair kit he used but it wasn't a Heli coil and it was from Napa and no compressed air was used. I would prefer to be able to blow any possible debris out through the exhaust valve (hopefully) but his truck is still running perfectly 100+K later after the repair.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:20 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Opened the spark plug socket set up and compared to a OLD C.O.P.

Twigs- I may end up going a similar route as long as the correct insert is used. The insert and repeating is my main concern.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:41 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Opened the spark plug socket set up and compared to a OLD C.O.P.

Twigs- I may end up going a similar route as long as the correct insert is used. The insert and repeating is my main concern.
Not sure I get the comparison ?? TU MIGHT have made sense using the word went not with before it BUT I still don't think I would have gotten it either
BENTLY You can get a Porter Cable 150PSI pancake compressor from HD or Lowes @ $99. They work GREAT & will fit Anywhere. My thinking would be order the ATS 5400 (I already have the PC Pancake) & DIY. NOBODY will take the care you will. The trucks that I've seen posting blown plugs tend too have more than one sooner than later SO this way you will be investing in your future as well.. IF funds are tight right now BUY THE KIT, DIY, SELL THE KIT with 1 less insert. Your out of this mess clean.

Quick Reply: Bently Coop and the Birthday curse.