1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Single Rear Wheel Conversion-Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Ever thought of running super singles? They look pretty incredible on dually trucks... Not for everybody but I love em! Just a thought :-)

Those do look pretty cool. I am trying to get rid of width though. I like how my truck looks but daily driving is getting be a real PITA.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:58 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres my $.02 for what its worth:

Your going to be spending a lot of money for no real gain in anything. You have drove the truck for this long as a dually, surely you've learned how to drive it by now. Extra tires, sure, but how many tires can you buy for the price of a bed + axle? And of course your resale value will go from pretty good (duallys are desirable) to nearly completely undesirable (2wd SRW). Youd never get what you were asking for it as a SRW.

Figure a minimum of $500 for a bed that wont need much work plus whats the chances of finding "Ruby Red"? So add paint. Axles are easier to come by, maybe $200? That's at least one more set of duals as it sits and there surely good for 50k miles

As I said that's just my $.02 on the scenario. Its your truck and your money. If you want a SRW CCLB, then build it! But Id almost think youd be better off buying a small car or something. Maybe a Festiva! Them things will whip right in anywhere! No more problems parking lol

Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
But Id almost think youd be better off buying a small car or something. Maybe a Festiva! Them things will whip right in anywhere! No more problems parking lol
But then he'd have to be constantly checking between his legs to make sure he was still a man!

Old 03-04-2016, 11:48 AM
coreylasalle
Elder User

You cant give up those good looking alloy wheels! I always thought those dually wheels looked good on OBS trucks. I know its not a spacer on a d60, it is the hub itself, might be just spacers on a 2wd truck. 10.25s are easy enough to find. A nice dually bed and matching paint seem like the biggest trouble. I have to imagine that is one of the benefits of California. NO Rust! I think it looks nice as a dually. And don;t feel bad. I smashed my mirror backing in a garage, and its been zip tied and taped in place for over a month lol

Old 03-04-2016, 02:23 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Those do look pretty cool. I am trying to get rid of width though. I like how my truck looks but daily driving is getting be a real PITA.

This is a little better of a picture I think... great now it wont upload pics...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...9o0&ajaxhist=0

Old 03-04-2016, 03:14 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lee00
This is a little better of a picture I think... great now it wont upload pics...

dual rear axle to super single conversion - Bing images

I know some do not like that look, but if I had a dually rear that's exactly what would be under my truck...and have a studded set for the snow of course as I bet you could drive right over your foot with one of those and and not even feel pain.

Now back on topic...

Old 03-04-2016, 03:29 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
I know some do not like that look, but if I had a dually rear that's exactly what would be under my truck...and have a studded set for the snow of course as I bet you could drive right over your foot with one of those and and not even feel pain.

Now back on topic...
Yeah I kind of like the look too... 19.5 size I think would be better than the 22"....I am sure you are right about the weight distribution...

Updated...the price I found on walmart was for tire chains...

Old 03-04-2016, 03:44 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I really appreciate the input you guys. She is going to stay like she is, but it was just a thought process I had to go through. It was more just the frustration of smashing the fender than anything.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:54 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot

Now back on topic...
No Nick, we LIKE veering off topic!

Old 03-04-2016, 03:55 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by coreylasalle
You cant give up those good looking alloy wheels! I always thought those dually wheels looked good on OBS trucks. I know its not a spacer on a d60, it is the hub itself, might be just spacers on a 2wd truck. 10.25s are easy enough to find. A nice dually bed and matching paint seem like the biggest trouble. I have to imagine that is one of the benefits of California. NO Rust! I think it looks nice as a dually. And don;t feel bad. I smashed my mirror backing in a garage, and its been zip tied and taped in place for over a month lol
Thanks Corey! Yeah, I agree those wheels look pretty darn good. Thanks for feeling my pain

Old 03-04-2016, 03:56 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
What's the weight rating on them super single wheels and/or tires? I'm slightly interested..

Old 03-04-2016, 05:14 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Heres my $.02 for what its worth:

Your going to be spending a lot of money for no real gain in anything. You have drove the truck for this long as a dually, surely you've learned how to drive it by now. Extra tires, sure, but how many tires can you buy for the price of a bed + axle? And of course your resale value will go from pretty good (duallys are desirable) to nearly completely undesirable (2wd SRW). Youd never get what you were asking for it as a SRW.

Figure a minimum of $500 for a bed that wont need much work plus whats the chances of finding "Ruby Red"? So add paint. Axles are easier to come by, maybe $200? That's at least one more set of duals as it sits and there surely good for 50k miles

As I said that's just my $.02 on the scenario. Its your truck and your money. If you want a SRW CCLB, then build it! But Id almost think youd be better off buying a small car or something. Maybe a Festiva! Them things will whip right in anywhere! No more problems parking lol
Thanks JP. Yeah, I am not going to touch her, but I am going to look at a 64 Olds 88 Dynamic on Sunday. That might solve all these problems LOL!!!!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5451424859.html

Old 03-04-2016, 06:44 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Atta boy lol. Gotta love them old Olds

Old 03-04-2016, 07:36 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Lots of work but cooooooool!

Like Darin, I'm sorta interested?

Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
What's the weight rating on them super single wheels and/or tires? I'm slightly interested..
Well the hub conversions are not cheap, but they range from 12 to 20 ply on 22.5s. Biggest reason for truckers is weight savings per axle equalling additional capacity at weigh in, and rotating mass of duals. They can also save a ton on cost per axle per tire. All irrelevant for a light duty application but I guarantee any 22.5 tire and wheel will take more than what would buckle that sterling. The duals on the t kick are at 7800lbs a piece. The SS that go with it are at 14k and I'd have to check the ply rating but I think they are only 18s. They last forever too and can be re tread or regruved like a g rated trailer tire....

All in all they will always exceed anything our axles can take, most use them for looks on light duty truck... But they do have a purpose if used properly.

Quick Reply: Single Rear Wheel Conversion-Need Input