1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Best 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:36 PM
chapdaddy33
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best 4x4

Ok so I'm stuck between a few choices of 4x4 vehicles. My first is a ford ranger fx4, doesn't matter year to me. Or a mini cooper countryman all4. I really don't know which is better I am going to be moving to wyoming pretty soon so I need a 4x4 when winter hits. I have also considered diesel trucks and a traditional f150. I have an 03 f150 currently but it is 2wd and i have got stuck in the mud last summer. Let me know what you guys think on what I should go with or if there is another vehicle that y'all have in mind, let me know and I'll do some research on it. My budget it probably around 15k, so keep that in mind. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by chapdaddy33
Ok so I'm stuck between a few choices of 4x4 vehicles. My first is a ford ranger fx4, doesn't matter year to me. Or a mini cooper countryman all4. I really don't know which is better I am going to be moving to wyoming pretty soon so I need a 4x4 when winter hits. I have also considered diesel trucks and a traditional f150. I have an 03 f150 currently but it is 2wd and i have got stuck in the mud last summer. Let me know what you guys think on what I should go with or if there is another vehicle that y'all have in mind, let me know and I'll do some research on it. My budget it probably around 15k, so keep that in mind. Thanks!

You'd be surprised what you can do with $15k on the used market today. You could get a few old rangers, or a very nice newer one with that much. Personally though, since you say you are moving to the northern climate, and you have a good budget, I wouldn't look at a ranger.

I'm a big believer in getting more for your money, and a heavy duty would do just that. The 4wd systems are much more durable and reliable. The engines are stronger so they can be more than enough for what you need, but always there when you need it. And the fuel tanks are bigger, the interiors are more comfy, the brakes and engine are stronger, etc.

A heavy duty would probably never need to be replaced unless you wanted to, and that's getting your monies worth out of a vehicle.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 PM
chapdaddy33
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ford'05HG
You'd be surprised what you can do with $15k on the used market today. You could get a few old rangers, or a very nice newer one with that much. Personally though, since you say you are moving to the northern climate, and you have a good budget, I wouldn't look at a ranger.

I'm a big believer in getting more for your money, and a heavy duty would do just that. The 4wd systems are much more durable and reliable. The engines are stronger so they can be more than enough for what you need, but always there when you need it. And the fuel tanks are bigger, the interiors are more comfy, the brakes and engine are stronger, etc.

A heavy duty would probably never need to be replaced unless you wanted to, and that's getting your monies worth out of a vehicle.
I was probably a little too optimistic with my price range. Its more in the 10-12k range. I really have no need for a super big truck as I'm not going to be towing or hauling anything. My plan was to buy a little older ranger, say 05-07 and just put some money into it for upgrades such as wheels, tires, camper shell, and some off road accessories. Although I have looked into diesels. They don't favor the cold as much as gasoline engines do, but I wouldn't mind having one. People are just selling diesels for too much with too many miles on them.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:02 AM
Kostiuk
Freshman User
I live in Northern Colorado and have a fishing cabin in Wyoming so I take my 2006 FX4 Ranger up there quite a bit on some pretty nasty dirt roads. No problem. I would not think a Mini would be a great choice for Wyoming. Wind blows like hell in the winter and even if it snows a little bit you can end up with some pretty deep drifts, too deep for a Mini. I don't think you'd go wrong with a Ranger or and F150.

Kevin K.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:04 PM
chapdaddy33
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kostiuk
I live in Northern Colorado and have a fishing cabin in Wyoming so I take my 2006 FX4 Ranger up there quite a bit on some pretty nasty dirt roads. No problem. I would not think a Mini would be a great choice for Wyoming. Wind blows like hell in the winter and even if it snows a little bit you can end up with some pretty deep drifts, too deep for a Mini. I don't think you'd go wrong with a Ranger or and F150.

Kevin K.
I totally forgot about the drifts. I live in west texas and I know how those drifts can eat small cars for breakfast. What are the good years for a ranger fx4. I was thinkin around an 05-09 fx4, if possible level II. Are there any upgrades that are a must for a ranger to help get through deep snow and or mud for when the snow melts? My plan was to get new wheels, tires, off road bumper, and camper shell.
Here is an example that I found on google of what I want

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2016, 09:11 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
The FX4 level II has (or did have) the Torsen limited slip rear diff. That's great for offroad or getting unstuck but I personally did not like it for turning and cornering on snowy/slushy/icy paved roads. My rear diff had to rebuilt at 190k miles, in hindsight wish I had gone with a remote locker instead of another limited slip.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:01 PM
chapdaddy33
Junior User
Originally Posted by 02FX4Dude
The FX4 level II has (or did have) the Torsen limited slip rear diff. That's great for offroad or getting unstuck but I personally did not like it for turning and cornering on snowy/slushy/icy paved roads. My rear diff had to rebuilt at 190k miles, in hindsight wish I had gone with a remote locker instead of another limited slip.
So would you recommend getting just an fx4 or the level II? I like both but the level II's are harder to find. Also is a lift kit necessary for a ranger? I do like the way it looks, however, I've heard that it makes them worse to handle on the highway.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:49 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Any Ranger w/4x4 is going to get you around just fine in snow assuming you have good tires. I think the LS diff is nice to have if you're in an offroad situation on uneven terrain or if you're trying to get unstuck. If you plan to be offroad then I would recommend a LS or remote locker, whichever model you get.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:38 AM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought that all the 4x4 4.0L. Rangers came with a clutch-type limited slip, except for the Level II, which had the Torsen gear-type.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
For a daily driver, I'd avoid lifting it. Handling does suffer.