Sponsored by:

Big 10.5 Inch Question: Rear Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:17 AM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big 10.5 Inch Question: Rear Wheel Bearing Maintenance

My wife said the title of the thread would put all of our minds in the gutter, I told her we were above that..... She didn't believe me.... Anyway!

I had a rear wheel seal leaking, it's replaced along with the parking shoes, grease soaked. In the Haynes or Chilton’s (whatever one I have) stated to repack the wheel bearings at re-installation, OK fine, Done… Everything is put back together nicely, fun job.

For the question: Is packing the rear wheel bearing (inner & outer) a maintenance/time item or does the axel gear lube take care of lubrication after installation? Going to do the seal on the other side “just because” so I will be doing the other side bearings anyway.

Looking at the maintenance schedule I saw nothing about it… Just curious what others are doing and when.

The other question: Repair manuals listed both Ford 10.5 Axel and Dana Axels, what’s the difference?

Pennies for thought.

Thanks

Steve

Old 02-18-2016, 11:37 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zapola6
My wife said the title of the thread would put all of our minds in the gutter, I told her we were above that..... She didn't believe me.... Anyway!

I had a rear wheel seal leaking, it's replaced along with the parking shoes, grease soaked. In the Haynes or Chilton’s (whatever one I have) stated to repack the wheel bearings at re-installation, OK fine, Done… Everything is put back together nicely, fun job.

For the question: Is packing the rear wheel bearing (inner & outer) a maintenance/time item or does the axel gear lube take care of lubrication after installation? Going to do the seal on the other side “just because” so I will be doing the other side bearings anyway.

Looking at the maintenance schedule I saw nothing about it… Just curious what others are doing and when.

The other question: Repair manuals listed both Ford 10.5 Axel and Dana Axels, what’s the difference?

Pennies for thought.

Thanks

Steve
Yes, I believe so.... The Dana is up front The 10.5 is a Sterling

Old 02-18-2016, 01:12 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Bearings are lubed by the oil in the diff, the grease is just for install and gets washed out by the oil.

sounds like your manual also covers other F trucks and some of those use a Dana rear axle. Same full float design so the bearing procedure would be the similar.