Sponsored by:

Interior clean up

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:29 AM
g00d4me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior clean up

After work I plan on tearing out my interior to clean the carpets and lay down some sound deadening material.

I've done some research and found a few helpful links from other people who have taken on the task.

I was wondering if anyone on here has done the same and has any tips or tricks that they could pass on that they learned while doing.

I'm also hoping to do the front grill replacement, but that might be pushing my luck with all the other work I'm doing.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:29 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that bad to do. I did it couple years ago. remove the seats, console and plastic thresholds by the doors and the carpet comes out. A buddy gave me a couple rollers to from the sound deadening material to the contours of the floor.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:18 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
It is a fairly straight forward task. Not sure how you plan to clean the carpets, a pressure washer and some sort of detergant works wonders on even the nastiest carpets. Just be sure to let the carpet backing dry completely or your interior will be like a rain forrest for awhile. Pull your seat belts out and pressure wash the straps on those as they get surprisingly dirty. Now is also a good time to scrub clean all the trim piece that you pulled to get the carpet out.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:44 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Would you say this is a good one day project (beyond the carpet drying), or should someone plan the project over many days?

I am thinking of doing this once my foot is healed and before I put in the new center consoles I am working on.

So the question is, is this a good weekend project, or will it need more time?

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 AM
JJensen79
Junior User
I did mine over a weekend. We pulled all of the seats, carpet, and some of the plastic pieces out.
For the carpet I sprayed Krud Kutter all over it until it was saturated and then used a brush to work it in. When I was done with that I just used a garden hose to rinse it off and then hung it from the ceiling in the garage. To help with drying I pointed a couple of pedestal fans at it and it was dry by morning.
For the seats and plastic I used scrubbing bubbles with a soft bristle brush. Then used a leather conditioner.
Overall it took a couple of days.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:02 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
The actual interior removal and reinstall is the quickest part really. Carpet drying is going to be determined by the weather and will take the most time of the project. Mine took 24 hours to dry but we were having a heat wave and it was over 100* that weekend. I used Dynomat and installed it to the back seats, maybe an hour or 2 job to apply. It's pretty basic.

Using power tools I could likely swap in a new carpet in about 2 hours.

If you need to drive it while the carpet is drying just throw the front seat back in.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Basically what Pirate said. Nothing to add after that other than wait until the weather is good for the carpet to dry out like he said.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by g00d4me
After work I plan on tearing out my interior to clean the carpets and lay down some sound deadening material.
To OP:

Please take before and after dB readings for empirical data.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Work slow when pulling plastic in case the clips have gotten brittle with age.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:54 AM
g00d4me
Senior User
Update:

Got the interior pulled and pressure washed last night.

pre soaked it with water and all powder detergent while i had to run to home depot to get a new hose.

spent about an hour and a half pressure washing the carpets.

dirty as hell!

the only thing i would definitely recommend is getting 4-6 solid horses that you can hang your carpets from.

i washed the main carpet flat on the ground but that became really heavy to move once soaked with water.

if you have the space, drape them over the horses and wash them that way, it'll save time in having to move them and help with water drainage.

Now onto the fun part, laying the sound deadener material.

One quick question, does anyone know of a video or instructions on how to swap out the front grill?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:41 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, this cleaning is taking it to a hole nutha level...

Old 02-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget to do the sides. I did the roof too but didn't take a pic.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:37 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
^^^^^ this, you have come this far don't skip the wheel wells. An amazing amount of road noise comes in through the wheel wells.

The material under the carpet and on the back of those panels is for sound absorption , it is very similar to what is inside a quilted moving blanket or you can buy the material on rolls. Home Depot even sells it as a moving blanket ( both quilted and raw. ) Cover the sides and wheel wells in your deadner and then a layer of absorption and it will make one of the largest differences of the whole project. The 2 main areas you want to improve on are the front firewall and foot wells and the rear wheel wells

Old 02-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
^^^^^ this, you have come this far don't skip the wheel wells. An amazing amount of road noise comes in through the wheel wells.

The material under the carpet and on the back of those panels is for sound absorption , it is very similar to what is inside a quilted moving blanket or you can buy the material on rolls. Home Depot even sells it as a moving blanket ( both quilted and raw. ) Cover the sides and wheel wells in your deadner and then a layer of absorption and it will make one of the largest differences of the whole project. The 2 main areas you want to improve on are the front firewall and foot wells and the rear wheel wells
I did everything I could reach, just couldn't find a picture of the finished product quickly. The only part of the truck that I did not get was behind the dash.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:18 PM
g00d4me
Senior User
So far i got about 2 hours into just cleaning the floor and sides

going to start laying the gt mat now, hopefully that goes pretty smoothly

about to crack open the vodka to help keep me motivated

Quick Reply: Interior clean up