1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 DRW brake controller....acting up...don't know why

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:42 AM
craigcountyktm
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 DRW brake controller....acting up...don't know why

Not sure what is going on....here is the low down:
2015 F-350 DRW
2016 Work and Play travel trailer
Anderson WDH.

First weekend out with RV and Anderson Hitch.
I first noticed an issue as I was coming to a stop sign. I let off the gas and was coasting when I felt the trailer braking and I was not touching the truck pedal. I stopped at the sign and pulled away scratching my head. I switched to the controller screen and see that it is showing one bar when driving down the road without touching truck pedal. Stopped in parking lot and check drums, they were just warm so I dont think the brakes are dragging. I manually activated the trailer brakes and when I let off of the manual slides the controller shows no bars. I start to pull away and one bar lights up again. I still had a 6 hour drive so plenty of time to wonder and stress about what is going on with the brakes. Every time I stop I check the drums and never felt any excessive heat so I keep on trucking home.

I make it home and I am going uphill to turn left into my drive way so as I approach I let off the gas and the controller starts applying trailer brakes, up to about 4-5 bars, with no input from me. I feel the trailer braking and pulling on the truck.

Items to note:
Truck/controller/RV worked fine when I brought it home (500 miles) with just my normal hitch.
Truck/controller work fine with 20' enclosed trailer and normal hitch
Trouble seems to have started when the Anderson was introduced into the mix.
The Anderson hitch is a different design from other WDH's.
The Anderson hitch seems to be isolated from the truck and not grounded to the truck very well.
The only metal to metal contact between the truck and trailer are the safety chains

Could the ground between the truck and trailer be causing this weird situation?

Thanks all

Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I think you need to take the truck and trailer in to the service dept for a test ride with the tech.

I have no idea what is going on here.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
the trailer brakes are being activated without the brake petal being pressed// Correct.

guessing here.

power is getting to the trailer brake wires ...
so from the truck 7 pin. trailer 7 pin.. movement

and the 7 pin has a Ground wire.. both truck and trailer.
the ground should NOT come from the truck/trailer hitch connection.

DEALER TIME.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM
craigcountyktm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
the trailer brakes are being activated without the brake petal being pressed// Correct.

guessing here.

power is getting to the trailer brake wires ...
so from the truck 7 pin. trailer 7 pin.. movement

and the 7 pin has a Ground wire.. both truck and trailer.
the ground should NOT come from the truck/trailer hitch connection.

DEALER TIME.

Correct, controller is applying trailer brakes without any involvement from me. I am not touching the pedal or slide lever on controller

Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
either a wiring issue or a controller issue. since truck is new they should chase the issue down.

I too think it is probably the 7 pin connector at the receiver. Not the plug in the bed.

but it could also be the controller.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 PM
preed314
New User
A friend of mine had this problem on his 2015 dually. The brakes actually caught on fire while going down the road. The problem was a faulty brake controller module. All was fine after being diagnosed and replaced by the Ford dealer. On his the gain control would increase or decrease the amount of braking being shown while sitting still with no brake being applied.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 PM
craigcountyktm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by preed314
A friend of mine had this problem on his 2015 dually. The brakes actually caught on fire while going down the road. The problem was a faulty brake controller module. All was fine after being diagnosed and replaced by the Ford dealer. On his the gain control would increase or decrease the amount of braking being shown while sitting still with no brake being applied.
Thank You for replying, I am calling the dealer now.

Also, thanks to all of the others that replied. You guy's are great. I'll report back on the final solution.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:36 PM
craigcountyktm
Freshman User
Just got back in ( 25 degrees out brrrr) from testing both the new RV and my enclosed trailer, truck does the same thing with both trailers. I notice that the gain guage stays inactive until I move. I pulled out and backed down my road and gave it a little gas approaching the driveway and then let off and watched the gain gauge. It was showing one bar until I lifted, so I am coasting and not touching the brake pedal, the gain bounces between 3-5 and stops me. I could feel the trailer pulling back on the truck as the brakes were being applied. I did 2-3 runs with each trailer and this happened every time. I took a video to show the service man. I am leaning toward the truck being the issue. I'll report back

Old 02-10-2016, 05:00 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
possible BAD brake light switch.. or switch is not seated correctly in its holder.
or wiring for brake light switch is placing a Side load on switch.

but this is an ODD problem.

Dealer Time..

Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by craigcountyktm
Just got back in ( 25 degrees out brrrr) from testing both the new RV and my enclosed trailer, truck does the same thing with both trailers...
Hi craigcountyktm,

Like the others have suggested, I think it's time for a trip to your dealership. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Old 02-10-2016, 11:42 AM
craigcountyktm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi craigcountyktm,

Like the others have suggested, I think it's time for a trip to your dealership. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal
Crystal,
The truck has a approx 13,800 miles. Would you know if the dealer can diagnose without me bringing one of my trailers? I would like to avoid having my trailer sitting in their parking lot if I can.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal,
The truck has a approx 13,800 miles. Would you know if the dealer can diagnose without me bringing one of my trailers? I would like to avoid having my trailer sitting in their parking lot if I can.

Thanks
Hi craigcountyktm,

The dealership will have to replicate the concern before proceeding with a potential repair; if this is only happening while towing, I'd recommend having them diagnose with the trailer. I can loop in your regional customer service manager so they can assist. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll make it happen.

Crystal

Old 02-13-2016, 04:36 PM
craigcountyktm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi craigcountyktm,

The dealership will have to replicate the concern before proceeding with a potential repair; if this is only happening while towing, I'd recommend having them diagnose with the trailer. I can loop in your regional customer service manager so they can assist. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll make it happen.

Crystal

PM sent, Thank you

Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
PM sent, Thank you
Hi craigcountyktm,

I'm not seeing a PM from you in my inbox; could you try sending again? Thank you!

Crystal

Old 02-20-2016, 12:40 PM
preed314
New User
Any updates?

Quick Reply: 2015 DRW brake controller....acting up...don't know why