2013 XLR Thunderbolt LCI Level Up "Low Voltage"

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:11 PM
dhatfield6
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 XLR Thunderbolt LCI Level Up "Low Voltage"

My 2013 380 AMP, since day one has always had issues with the Lippert Level Up System tripping off when raising the legs. The panel will flash on and off then read "Low Voltage" I'm wondering if I added a second battery if this would solve the issue.
I have checked connections, wiring size, and the dealership changed the original battery as well (when still in warranty). The system will always get the legs up and down but it will never make it up with one push of the button to Auto Retract or in the manual mode.

Does any XLR owner have 2 batteries from the factory?

Old 02-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
I'm sure Rodney(resident XLR guru) will see this and provide the answers you seek, but I'll add my experience here....
My Voltage has hydraulic leveling as well (Quadra system however). It did not like running on a single battery either. Upgrading the battery system with at least one more 12v battery will make traveling easier in many aspects.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:57 PM
dhatfield6
Junior User
Thanks Chad. The factory converter is a 30 amp. Shouldn't have to change it should I

Old 02-07-2016, 10:00 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Did you or your dealer actually check the amp draw on your system?

Steve

Old 02-08-2016, 10:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
There has to be a current draw here that is out of spec.

My leveling system has never had an issue. I have had two different style of batteries and no issues.

I wonder if you could check the current draw on each motor as you raise it?

Old 02-08-2016, 12:31 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
OP, are you getting the error with the truck connected and running or with the shore power plugged in?

I have had LevelUp for 6 years now. I had the low voltage issue at times as well. I solved the issue with 2 gauge battery cables for the pump. Of course my batteries were up to snuff, otherwise cable size really doesn't matter.

For the amount of draw the pump could potentially make, 50 amps+, the included factory wiring was a bit light.

BTW, are you sure your converter is only 30 amps?
Many regular 5th wheels come with a 50 amp converter and many toy haulers get a 80 amp converter. Don't go by the 30 amp fuses.

The other thing I can add is that the Lippert "brain" seems to have an issue with the actual voltage compared to the displayed voltage (I have the same issue with an inverter reading low).

Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Just some thought. My leveling system is actually electric. I have no hydraulics in mine.

that is why I was wondering if you could check it at each motor.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:07 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by senix
Just some thought. My leveling system is actually electric. I have no hydraulics in mine.
that is why I was wondering if you could check it at each motor.
The OP has Lippert LevelUp, that is a 6 hydraulic jack system operated by a single hydraulic pump, one motor. The pump also runs any of the hydraulic slides.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:18 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
The issue of power dropping out is really common on Lippert systems of all persuations and may have multiple causes, but has to start with verifying battery voltage and then with while metering voltage drop at batteries measure amp draw with clamp meter on the pump motor. Until that is done, you are guessing and lots of dealerships do not know or don't care how to diagnose this problem.

I doubt this camper has a 30 amp converter as I have not seen that in anything of size, though I don't know this camper. Perhaps a 30 amp shoreline?

Steve

Old 02-16-2016, 01:29 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by dhatfield6
My 2013 380 AMP, since day one has always had issues with the Lippert Level Up System tripping off when raising the legs. The panel will flash on and off then read "Low Voltage" I'm wondering if I added a second battery if this would solve the issue.
I have checked connections, wiring size, and the dealership changed the original battery as well (when still in warranty). The system will always get the legs up and down but it will never make it up with one push of the button to Auto Retract or in the manual mode.

Does any XLR owner have 2 batteries from the factory?

Sorry to be late to the show here. XLR's come from the factory with no batteries like most other brands. It's the dealer who installs them. They have the space for two, one on each side. (Except the latest built 2016+ units that have new framework to support two on each side.) Typically, they only have one battery box from the factory on the DS with no box or wiring on the ODS. I ordered mine with prep for the second battery on the ODS so I could run my two 6 volts.

As to your issue, it's much more likely to be a loose connection than a wiring gauge issue. A loose ground or positive can intermittantly cause the system to read low voltage when the battery has a full charge. I believe when you posted on this in the FRF forums, you mentioned that you also tried it on shore power which indicates it's not a bad battery problem as your converter would be providing plenty of power for the system while plugged in. All that said, start by checking every connection you can find. That's likely the issue.

On the issue of it having no problem extending but always quitting on retraction, that would make sense as it takes more energy to retract the system than to extend. What's interesting (and also leads me to believe it's a loose connection) is that you will generally trip the auto reset breaker before low voltaging the system.

Lastly like Steve said, it doesn't have a 30 amp converter. It would be an 80 or 100 depending on build date.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:53 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
If you can, put some numbers to this as diagnosing electrical stuff can be tricky. With a poor connection or weak battery, you pump motor will "amp up" and it would be nice to know what it actually draws. if you search the Internet, you will find quite a few posts of pump motors starting and stopping under load and a lot of head scratching as to why and what to do.

Steve

Old 02-16-2016, 03:31 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

And it is well known that the Lippert LevelUp has two issues (3 including the "popping").
1) The control unit tends to be touchy with voltage and will typically read less then true supply voltage.
2) The systems are known for tripping the factory breaker. Early fixes were to replace the 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp version.

When your LevelUp was installed, was a separate switch added for the landing gear?
If so, have you tried that switch after the low voltage cut-out?

Old 02-16-2016, 04:52 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
It would be helpful to know what the voltage actually is when the system signals "low voltage". That info is only 10 seconds and a multimeter away.

Steve

Old 02-17-2016, 10:28 AM
tmilicia
Senior User
Originally Posted by porthole
And it is well known that the Lippert LevelUp has two issues (3 including the "popping").
1) The control unit tends to be touchy with voltage and will typically read less then true supply voltage.
2) The systems are known for tripping the factory breaker. Early fixes were to replace the 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp version.
Porthole, Thank you for this post. I had been experiencing this strange popping noise every so often while camping this past summer. Now I know for sure it is the front jacks and I can keep a closer eye on them. I kept wondering if it was my frame "settling" or the jacks. It was strange that it would only happen in the evening or at night when it cooled down. I've googled it now and see it is quite a common occurrence. They operate fine and hold level, just a random nighttime pop here and there.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:40 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Tony, this is very common. I have it on mine and it's actually gotten worse. Only in the front legs. It almost pains me to type this because of the dieselnick issue in the 6.7 area, but the issue is caused by thermal sticktion and temp changes. Lippert actually has a TSB out about it. I'll attach it. I did add a quart of the mentioned fluid and it did not help. However, it is much worse when your jacks are on pavement or concrete without a rubber pad underneath. (It's quite rare when your jacks are on unpaved ground...) I have used rubber pads with success in this dept and in the spring I'm adding the rubber snap pads to mine as a more permanent solution.

As for the breaker change, I had to do this on my Road Warrior. It didn't have Level Up but did have Lippert hydraulic front landing gear. I opted to add a second breaker in parallel rather than sourcing a larger replacement. Worked perfectly. On this rig, XLR has a larger breaker from the get go and unless it's VERY cold, I've not tripped it.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Lippert Noisy Jack Fix.pdf (504.3 KB, 348 views)

Quick Reply: 2013 XLR Thunderbolt LCI Level Up "Low Voltage"