6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Use of Cetane booster

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Tim Young
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 3,752 Likes on 1,492 Posts
I use the Motorcraft stuff but I'm not exactly precise on the 4oz to 25 gal. I do use it on every fill up and here is how I do it. At a tad less then 1/4 tank it takes 25 gal of fuel so I always put in 4 oz but sometimes I put in 22 gal and the next 27 gal or maybe 29 gal I figure it all works out in the end.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts
I use the Stanadyne Blue or Red. Once the Red is gone, I will strictly use the Blue since it is for year round application. With the 65 gallon Titan tank in my CCLB, I add one full bottle when I do a 60 gallon fill.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:24 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
2006-2007 is when USLD fuel became mandated and mainstream.
So any study done in 2007 needs to be qualified that it was done with the fuels at the time.
Since no link for this study was provided it is kind of hard to qualify the blanket statement that a study on additives that was published 2007 is accurate for today.

But if you decide to use an additive, and it is debatable if even needed, why use something that cost more and has no track record other then a test done 10 years ago?

The fuel requirement for each of the big 3 using the same pump has changed.
When I had my 2006 GMC I would occasionally add a quart of ATF or two stroke oil to the tank. I wouldn't think of doing that on any of the new diesels.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, if I decide to add anything to the fuel, it will be approved by the manufacturers.
Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

This is the only study we have. I wouldn't be adding 2-stroke oil now either, but I believe the track record for cetane boosters is solid as even Ford recommends using their own PM-22.

There was a second study done just after that on MPG improvements and was limited to 2-stroke oil, Opti-Lube and FPPF and they all showed improvement. I don't have time to search for it, but a quick Google did find this Opti-Lube testimonials page:

Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Improver | Grease | Oil Fortifier
Turned out the 2009 study of mileage improvements was just down the page on my Google search and here it is:

Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine

Old 02-08-2016, 12:25 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I recall that study now, I was on that board when it came out. Would be nice to see the study done again with the current crop of additives, including the OptiLube, especially since it was considered experimental at the time for the test.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:18 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXDave
Thanks for all the replies. Being new to diesel trucks I am a bit leary of jumping in trying things without checking it out first.

I watched a video from POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics last night about using Archoil. Has anyone tried Archoil for an oil additive as well as a fuel additive?

Dave
I have no opinion of Archoil - it could be good, could be bad, or could be useless. Just remember that the gentleman who is in all the videos on that website is sponsored by Archoil.

College-level diesel tech training texts will inform you that no additives are needed for any engine, in general. However, as others have pointed out, ULSD is a very poor lubricator. The CP4 fuel pumps on our trucks and the Duramax trucks seem to be susceptible to failure from poor lubrication. Ford's PM22 does offer a little bit of added lubricity which may help.

Ford seems to be very reluctant to warranty fuel pump failures - I use the PM22 at every fill-up because Ford is not going to like you putting any other aftermarket additive in the fuel. The exact ratio mix is not important - try to get it close, but don't lose sleep over it.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PDXDave
Thanks for all the replies. Being new to diesel trucks I am a bit leary of jumping in trying things without checking it out first.

I watched a video from POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics last night about using Archoil. Has anyone tried Archoil for an oil additive as well as a fuel additive?

Dave
In addition to Opti-Lube at the minimum dose, I use AR6200 fuel additive and AR9100 oil friction modifier. When I first added the recommended double dose of AR6200, I felt more power from a stop and my mileage improved . 5 to. 9 mpg. Later, I dropped Optilube for a couple of tanks and mileage got worse. They seem to work well together. Ford recommends no friction modifiers for the first 5000 miles so I changed to T6 at 5000, added AR9100 and towed my 5th wheel on an 11000 mile trip. Naturally, I had to change oil again 8000 miles into the trip and added another jug of AR9100. I can't say if it did any good, but I got 12.5 mpg on the trip while towing my 10,000 lb fiver.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 PM
PDXDave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I have no opinion of Archoil - it could be good, could be bad, or could be useless. Just remember that the gentleman who is in all the videos on that website is sponsored by Archoil.

College-level diesel tech training texts will inform you that no additives are needed for any engine, in general. However, as others have pointed out, ULSD is a very poor lubricator. The CP4 fuel pumps on our trucks and the Duramax trucks seem to be susceptible to failure from poor lubrication. Ford's PM22 does offer a little bit of added lubricity which may help.

Ford seems to be very reluctant to warranty fuel pump failures - I use the PM22 at every fill-up because Ford is not going to like you putting any other aftermarket additive in the fuel. The exact ratio mix is not important - try to get it close, but don't lose sleep over it.
Sounds good to me...thanx!

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
In addition to Opti-Lube at the minimum dose, I use AR6200 fuel additive and AR9100 oil friction modifier. When I first added the recommended double dose of AR6200, I felt more power from a stop and my mileage improved . 5 to. 9 mpg. Later, I dropped Optilube for a couple of tanks and mileage got worse. They seem to work well together. Ford recommends no friction modifiers for the first 5000 miles so I changed to T6 at 5000, added AR9100 and towed my 5th wheel on an 11000 mile trip. Naturally, I had to change oil again 8000 miles into the trip and added another jug of AR9100. I can't say if it did any good, but I got 12.5 mpg on the trip while towing my 10,000 lb fiver.
Good info...thanks!

Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
ULSD = Ultra Lousy and S***** Diesel.

I'd love a new study too as a lot of the products in that study changed their formula. Next winter as I won't get back home in time this winter, I want to do a test of summer diesel, winter diesel, summer additive, and winter additive in glass jars and leave them outside. See what sub zero temps due to the fuel and does the additive actually help or not.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Controlled chill. Use the freezer. Just triple bag a jar with your test. Wait a week and pull it out.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Freezer doesn't get cold enough.. Need a sub zero freezer. I agree controlled is better, but I don't have access to anything that cold.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Opti-Lube Winter states that it prevents gelling to 50 below. It would be hard to find a place to test that. I carry it in the truck but only use it when temps are forecast below 10 degrees. I stick with Summer Plus the rest of the time.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Opti-Lube Winter states that it prevents gelling to 50 below. It would be hard to find a place to test that. I carry it in the truck but only use it when temps are forecast below 10 degrees. I stick with Summer Plus the rest of the time.
Heat treating shops use liquid nitrogen to heat treat aluminum down to those temps.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:25 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
That's my plan once I use up the rest of my XPD. Summer Plus year round and when it gets down under 15 or so degrees I'll just add an ounce of Winter to the 2 ounces of Summer Plus at fill-up. And for those that are wondering if you can mix and match the answer is yes per an email conversation I had with a representative from Opi-Lube a year or so ago. He said that mixing is done quite often by people looking for a "custom" formulation.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by doczenith1
That's my plan once I use up the rest of my XPD. Summer Plus year round and when it gets down under 15 or so degrees I'll just add an ounce of Winter to the 2 ounces of Summer Plus at fill-up. And for those that are wondering if you can mix and match the answer is yes per an email conversation I had with a representative from Opi-Lube a year or so ago. He said that mixing is done quite often by people looking for a "custom" formulation.
I had to send reps for the link at the bottom regarding the electric cab heater - great test(s)!

To me, the overall heat output seems to drop off quite a bit when the temps get really cold, although your graph seems to indicate after 10 minutes the vent temp is approaching 100F regardless of outside temp.

The electric heater is positioned just downstream of the actual heater core, so even as coolant begins to minimally warm, it makes the electric heater's job easier. Very interesting, and sorry to go off topic!

Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use diesel kleen in every tank just for the water removing agent that fords doesn't have. Any additive will have a seal on the bottle that means it's approved by all manufactures and was told by a ford rep that they will not void warranties when used as directed.

Quick Reply: Use of Cetane booster