Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Invoice Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:49 AM
noserider
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invoice Pricing Question

I'm starting price shopping for my 2016 F150 XLT order. I got an offer from 1 dealer for $500 off invoice before rebates. Seems pretty fair so far. Have not asked about any other closing cost fee's yet but I'll get there. One thing the dealer added to my invoice printout was advertising assessment $719.00. Is this a common expense to see when your negotiating relative to invoice pricing or something that was added in to inflate the invoice?

On another note I went to a different dealer a couple days ago and was told they pay MSRP on factory orders so that would be my price minus any rebates. Funny stuff!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:12 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Is the$719.00 going to be in addition to the dealer Doc fee? Separate fees yes but will he assess both? I'd run.

As for MSRP on an ordered unit, I'd run from that too.

Keep in mind that the dealer orders the majority of the vehicles on their lot. Some trucks do get forced on the dealers but most are ordered. The dealer ain't payin' MSRP for those trucks for sure.

Granted, Ford has acres of trucks that are built and ready to ship but you have to factor in regional preferences and climate related options. Dealers will try to stock what sells the quickest.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:21 AM
tmilicia
Senior User
The ADV Assessment is on every vehicle invoice, it is an advertising fee charged to the dealer by Ford, your dealer isn't just going to drop it, but maybe you can get into their holdback a little bit more to make it sting less. When I bought my F350 last year, the ADV assessment was $960 on it, but I ordered the truck for $1250 under invoice, less rebates at the time. The advertising and delivery fees are two things I've never seen a dealer negotiate from the invoice.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
People get too worked up about fees, what I find easiest is to compare total out the door prices, including tax between a few dealers. Some charge bigger fees, but in the end, it's total price that matters to me.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 AM
noserider
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Is the$719.00 going to be in addition to the dealer Doc fee? Separate fees yes but will he assess both? I'd run.

As for MSRP on an ordered unit, I'd run from that too.

Keep in mind that the dealer orders the majority of the vehicles on their lot. Some trucks do get forced on the dealers but most are ordered. The dealer ain't payin' MSRP for those trucks for sure.

Granted, Ford has acres of trucks that are built and ready to ship but you have to factor in regional preferences and climate related options. Dealers will try to stock what sells the quickest.
Oh don't worry about me running from that MSRP deal. They lost my respect for even telling me such a ridiculous lie.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 AM
noserider
Freshman User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
People get too worked up about fees, what I find easiest is to compare total out the door prices, including tax between a few dealers. Some charge bigger fees, but in the end, it's total price that matters to me.
Could not agree more. I'm just gathering info so when I make my counter offer I know what I'm countering.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
noserider
Freshman User
Confused on available rebates?

Originally Posted by tmilicia
The ADV Assessment is on every vehicle invoice, it is an advertising fee charged to the dealer by Ford, your dealer isn't just going to drop it, but maybe you can get into their holdback a little bit more to make it sting less. When I bought my F350 last year, the ADV assessment was $960 on it, but I ordered the truck for $1250 under invoice, less rebates at the time. The advertising and delivery fees are two things I've never seen a dealer negotiate from the invoice.
Excellent information. Another confusing thing I ran into was rebates. The dealer that gave me invoice minus $500 factored in some rebates in my numbers to get me an out the door price. The problem is he used rebates I did not know exist at this time on a 2016 XLT F150. I'm happy to accept them of course but don't want to deal with them NOT being real later when I go to finalize the deal. Below are the rebates they listed. I'm located in zip code 77058 if any of you can confirm these rebates.

$750 Bonus Customer Cash

$750 F-150 Special Retail Customer Cash

$1,000 Retail Customer Cash.

These are the current rebates in place at this time. The expire 4/4/16. If you order with these rebates in place, you are guaranteed to get them at the time of delivery. If the rebates are greater at the time of delivery you can opt to take those rebates instead.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noserider
Excellent information. Another confusing thing I ran into was rebates. The dealer that gave me invoice minus $500 factored in some rebates in my numbers to get me an out the door price. The problem is he used rebates I did not know exist at this time on a 2016 XLT F150. I'm happy to accept them of course but don't want to deal with them NOT being real later when I go to finalize the deal. Below are the rebates they listed. I'm located in zip code 77058 if any of you can confirm these rebates.

$750 Bonus Customer Cash

$750 F-150 Special Retail Customer Cash

$1,000 Retail Customer Cash.

These are the current rebates in place at this time. The expire 4/4/16. If you order with these rebates in place, you are guaranteed to get them at the time of delivery. If the rebates are greater at the time of delivery you can opt to take those rebates instead.
Looks like you have a handle on it. Same thing I found.
2016 Ford F-150 | View Current Incentives & Offers | Ford.com

Old 02-07-2016, 11:33 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I agree. out the door total price is what I worry about.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:07 PM
jscozz
Senior User
Just my opinion, but I disagree with the out the door method if you are ordering a vehicle. When ordering a vehicle, a lot can change with rebates between order and delivery. Also, financing and rate available. I ALWAYS negotiate exact sale price based on factory invoice - $xxxx. And get exact commitment on doc fee and confirm that registration is state fee with nothing else added by dealer. That's all. Then just subtract rebates in effect at the time of delivery. Dealers will the numbers in 100 different ways, but showing you the order sheet with exact invoice and msrp prices is the clearest way to do it. Factory invoice price includes advertising, fuel, destination charge and package discounts. Don't let dealers tell package discounts are not part of invoice price... then try to add them in later as THEIR discount. I had a few do that.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:50 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jscozz
Just my opinion, but I disagree with the out the door method if you are ordering a vehicle. When ordering a vehicle, a lot can change with rebates between order and delivery. Also, financing and rate available. I ALWAYS negotiate exact sale price based on factory invoice - $xxxx. And get exact commitment on doc fee and confirm that registration is state fee with nothing else added by dealer. That's all. Then just subtract rebates in effect at the time of delivery. Dealers will the numbers in 100 different ways, but showing you the order sheet with exact invoice and msrp prices is the clearest way to do it. Factory invoice price includes advertising, fuel, destination charge and package discounts. Don't let dealers tell package discounts are not part of invoice price... then try to add them in later as THEIR discount. I had a few do that.
never thought about it that way.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:52 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
I've never ordered a vehicle, so I'm always comparing apples to apples on todays rebates. But i can see some validity on a ordered truck.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:56 AM
noserider
Freshman User
Hard to argue with that approach. That pretty much covers it. Well stated.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:46 PM
mark waller
Mountain Pass
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
For what's it worth I just orders a 2016 2 weeks ago. Should be built the week of the 22nd of February and here mid March give or take.
I ordered
2016 XLT Supercrew
FX4
Max tow
36 gal tank
tow mirrors
bucket seats
tailgate step
3.5 eco boost

Window sticker (yes with the destination and advertising assessment which they do not deal on) $52,635 less $2000 discount.

$700 below invoice of $47,040 and $2,500 hundred in Ford discounts.
I think its a fair deal.
I asked about extended warranty which they said sold for $4,750 for a 8 year 75,000 plan but would sell it to me for $3,750. I think I can get it down some.
Maintenance plan for the same duration is $2,265.
I drive about 8,000 miles a year and this is not my daily driver. Thoughts on the plans????

Old 02-08-2016, 09:01 PM
RUBICON
Senior User
Originally Posted by noserider
I'm starting price shopping for my 2016 F150 XLT order. I got an offer from 1 dealer for $500 off invoice before rebates. Seems pretty fair so far. Have not asked about any other closing cost fee's yet but I'll get there. One thing the dealer added to my invoice printout was advertising assessment $719.00. Is this a common expense to see when your negotiating relative to invoice pricing or something that was added in to inflate the invoice?

On another note I went to a different dealer a couple days ago and was told they pay MSRP on factory orders so that would be my price minus any rebates. Funny stuff!
if I were u I would join mustang club of America for $50 wait 2 months and then u will be able to get x-plan pricing very hard to beat the price and u still get available discounts

Quick Reply: Invoice Pricing Question