Sponsored by:

Got stuck in a ditch today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 PM
RVAExpedition
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I ended up with my excursion and 7x14 enclosed trailer in the ditch. I asked the 3 guys that were working for me if they hooked up the trailer and secured the load inside as we were pulling off and got an unclear answer so I decided to pull off. Well like a ******* I forgot that my trailer brake was inoperable so when I pulled over I literally slid into the ditch going 5mph because I couldn't stop the trailer in time. It was in slow motion. Well needless to say a guy rode by in a Ford Raptor and was like I'll pull you out. It didn't even hesitate and trust me I was buried in the mud and wedged in there. After I got out I was able to pull the trailer out with the excursion. All in all everything is good we were on our way in less than 45 mins. Can't wait until my brakes come in and I get my brake controller setup. I feel like an idiot but at least no damage to the product, people, trailer, or Ex. I tried to give the guy some cash but he recorded the whole thing and wanted the story to tell his buddies more than anything. Moral of the story. I need to buy a Raptor that thing is sick. I'm almost positive I couldn't have pulled myself out with my excursion. Didn't take any pictures as I was too embarrassed haha.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Ummm, yeah..................

So you were pulling a trailer that requires trailer brakes while knowingly not having them connected which caused you to slide off the shoulder of the road into a ditch because you couldn't stop in time from 5 MPH.

Maybe you should put your keys in a drawer while you sit and contemplate all of that before someone gets hurt.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk about swallowing your pride.

At least it was another Ford.....

Old 02-04-2016, 08:54 PM
RVAExpedition
Senior User
Didn't quite put them in a drawer but did park it for a while until some much needed parts and upgrades are installed next week. As always I just had to make a few dollars a figured it wasn't far enough to worry about but it's never as simple as that. Yeah glad it was a ford. My friend was like if a Chevy drives by should I wave them on and say we have it or accept their help?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:47 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Don't get to excited about the raptors 4 wheel drive abilities, We have blown up 2 transfer cases in them. They make decent prerunners but the 4wd system is easily the weak point.

There is after market parts for the problem but it is expensive and not a cure all.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Or just do what half the dimwits around here do. Buy a Raptor and promptly put on a 6" lift with blocks out back, some blinging wheels and wrap them in tires that would **** themselves if they tried to drive over a curb. I mean seriously, you can get a base F150 and get the body panels for a Raptor out of the catalog. Even the suspension, that's why there's three EcoBoost Raptor's running around California.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
At least you didn't hurt a buss full of nuns.

Glad everyone is OK though, minus your pride.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Reminds me I should try to get my trailer brakes working on my travel trailer...got zero right now!

My biggest issue with my Ex is the open differentials

Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Reminds me I should try to get my trailer brakes working on my travel trailer...got zero right now!

My biggest issue with my Ex is the open differentials
Open diffs suck - YouTube
I could not agree more BUT just curious, If you had 1 or 2 more tires spinning on that ice do you think it would have been any different ??

Old 02-05-2016, 10:54 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
I could not agree more BUT just curious, If you had 1 or 2 more tires spinning on that ice do you think it would have been any different ??
Sure it would have been different but not likely in a good way

On icy roads lockers or LSD can bite you in the ***.
If the there was any side slope at all ( and there always is ) then which ever axle had both wheels spinning would have slid sideways down the slope In the case of open diffs the wheel that is not spinning is keeping the vehicle from sliding down the slope. In this case an anchor is not such a horrible thing.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:39 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
On the topic of open diffs, I did something once and I wonder if it was a fluke or if it helped.

Back story: we were at Prairie City OHV (off road park), I was in my 97 Expedition, my buddies were all in their Toyota Tacomas.

Had a small rutted hill climb and no-one could get up it in their Toyotas. For giggles I tried my Expedition...4 low, 1st gear...got part way up and lost traction.

...I wondered if more resistance on that tire would help even out traction, so I rode the brakes (letting the throttle overpower the brakes) and I was able to pull up the hill - the Tacoma's couldn't.

Would riding the brake in that scenario (applying more resistance to the spinning wheel) make the diff throw more power to the opposite wheel, or was that just a fluke?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:12 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Sure it would have been different but not likely in a good way

On icy roads lockers or LSD can bite you in the ***.
If the there was any side slope at all ( and there always is ) then which ever axle had both wheels spinning would have slid sideways down the slope In the case of open diffs the wheel that is not spinning is keeping the vehicle from sliding down the slope. In this case an anchor is not such a horrible thing.

My Ex is my first and only truck to have a rear open diff and I HATE it. All my other trucks have had tight LSD's in them that worked well. I've driven many a mile locked in 4x4 for half a year and I know what to expect from a limited slip/locked rear end. There are times i'd rather have the rear end step out to one side or the other (yes on the road) to help avoid things, or just for fun. I know how to handle the rear end stepping out and it comes natural how to handle it.

When I get around to it a Detroit try-trac will be going into the Ex. and Yes i would have made it up that little hill in my driveway with 3 wheels turning, although i purposely got it stuck in that position. Nobody was in the truck it was just spinning by itself in drive haha

Old 02-05-2016, 03:22 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
My Ex is my first and only truck to have a rear open diff and I HATE it. All my other trucks have had tight LSD's in them that worked well. I've driven many a mile locked in 4x4 for half a year and I know what to expect from a limited slip/locked rear end. There are times i'd rather have the rear end step out to one side or the other (yes on the road) to help avoid things, or just for fun. I know how to handle the rear end stepping out and it comes natural how to handle it.

When I get around to it a Detroit try-trac will be going into the Ex. and Yes i would have made it up that little hill in my driveway with 3 wheels turning, although i purposely got it stuck in that position. Nobody was in the truck it was just spinning by itself in drive haha
Russ, You most likely have 10,000 times more ice EXperience than I. Hell driving in the dark as well for that matter SO , I have to ask if the f & r left tires are freely spinning with absolutely no traction, HOW would it have helped if the right side tires were freely spinning as well ???

Old 02-05-2016, 03:24 PM
RVAExpedition
Senior User
Since we're on the topic of 4x4. What's this ring that's completely loose on the backside of the hub or whatever? Maybe this is why my 4x4 has been less than what I was expecting. When I turn the front driveshaft by hand only the drivers side knuckle turns and the passengers doesn't which is where the ring is off.
Also does the last picture indicate that I don't have bump stops? Not sure what they look like.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
HEY, You can't high jack your own thread !! Just a dust seal , does nothing. Only the bump stop mount remains

Quick Reply: Got stuck in a ditch today.