Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Obsolete AEROstar parts thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Car Guy
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Obsolete AEROstar parts thread

This thread is dedicated to obsolete Aerostar parts information. Mainly 'wear' items no longer manufactured (new or rebuilt) that still need to be replaced by us Aerostar freaks. I realize there is some info online regarding obsolete Aerostar parts. However, a centralized thread like this will be a great resource for everybody. We can also brainstorm ideas in this thread on possible replacement options. Please feel free to ad any relative information to this thread. I intend to locate and post all the original Ford part numbers too. This will help with parts research and matching specifications. I'll do my best to keep this first post updated with all pertinent information!

Front AWD coil springs - Ford part # TBD

I found a few mentions online of sourcing springs from other vehicles that might work. However, no solid leads or a solution. I haven't done extensive research on front AWD coil springs, but will be. I also plan on contacting coil spring shops to see if anybody would be interested in doing a manufacturing run. This is assuming I can acquire original specifications for the factory springs. There must be many others looking for new front springs for their AWD besides myself! Who knows, we'll see, maybe a group buy? I feel this is going to be one of the toughest obsolete parts to come up with.

Rear upper control arm bushings - Ford part # TBD

This is for two bushings on the rear upper control arm. I found little information in terms of a viable replacement option for these. If no other information surfaces regarding these I'll probably try to come up with something. (If anybody would like to donate a clean/rust free upper control with the bushing still intact for research, please PM me!) There must be something out there that will work.

NOTE: 1 of the 3 bushings on the upper control arm is still available. This is for the other 2 that are on the passenger side of the differential.

Cross member bushings - Ford part # FO9Z-6A023-C

I'm confident coming up with a good replacement option for these is very possible. There is some information online for replacing these with a bushing of some sort meant for another application. My Aerostar desparatly needs these bushings and I'll be figuring something out ASAP.

That is all for now. I know there are at least a few other obsolete parts that I haven't had time to research yet. Feel free to post up anything else!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on what spring code you have. My AWD shows a spring code of WE, (which is found on your door jam vin tag, under SPRG the first letter is front, and the second is rear) which is PN FO9Z 5310-B, none in the wild that I can find.

But here is a list of front code/PN

W FO9Z 5310-B
M FO9Z 5310-A
Y F29Z 5310-A
X F19Z 5310-A
L E69Z 5310-F
K E69Z 5310-E
J E69Z 5310-D
H E69Z 5310-C
G E69Z 5310-B

From what I have seen of other AWD vins, they all have the W spring code.

They show two insulators on the bottom of the center control arm. E69Z 5K752-A x2 and a bushing for where the arm bolts to the dif, FO9Z 5K789-B, and FO9Z 5K679-A for the outside part on the dif.

Where the arm bolts to the body, the bushing is part of the control arm; F39Z 5500-A.

All obsolete and as far as I can tell, none in the wild.

Moog does list a bushing for the Upper:

Moog K8733 - Control Arm Bushing | O'Reilly Auto Parts 5500-Aerostar&vi=5003764&ck=Search_02936_5003764_2090&p t=02936&ppt=C0106

But it looks like the part for where the arm attaches to the DIF. I could be wrong, I haven't been under my van for a couple months so I am having an issue remembering what those actually look like under there.

Moog does list other bushing but the descriptions are lacking and without comparing the pics to what is actually there, it is hard to say which is right.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 PM
Car Guy
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the spring info! From what I've seen the 'W' spring appears to be the only one listed for the AWD front. All the rest must be different front springs for 2WD models.

Can you get any specifications on the AWD front 'W' springs? I've been trying to find something on them and it's almost like the info doesn't exist.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Car Guy
Thanks for the spring info! From what I've seen the 'W' spring appears to be the only one listed for the AWD front. All the rest must be different front springs for 2WD models.

Can you get any specifications on the AWD front 'W' springs? I've been trying to find something on them and it's almost like the info doesn't exist.

Ford does not release any info on springs, they are afraid that you are going to swap springs and they don't want to be liable in case things go south. I am constantly asked by truck owners which springs are stronger/heavier duty and all Ford tells me is the spring "code."

BTW I found this pic in the MOOG parts book and it looks like either they did or were going to offer the other bushings for the rear upper control arm.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:08 AM
87&97Aerostrar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding that bushing for the upper axle connection. In July 2011 I needed one for my 97. None of the local parts stores even had a listing for it. When I tried ordering it on line, I always received the upper to frame bushings. The parts guy at one of my local Ford dealers found one for me at a dealer someplace in Southwest Texas. He said it could very well be the last one available anywhere. The price was $136.74. With so few Aerostars on the road today, I doubt any company will tool up to produce it. You can thank Obama and his "cash for clunkers" program for that.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
The Aerostar was never a popular vehicle for some reason, and was out of production for 12 years before the "Cash For Clunkers" program. Even Ford would not have supported it after 2007, especially for a vehicle which was losing share in the minivan market. So parts were becoming obsolete long before the program, which was a ruse created by GM to sell their Hummers during a time of $4+/gal gasoline.

Some people say that Obama was also responsible for the doubling price of the M-2300K. People like that attribute way too much to him.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:12 PM
87&97Aerostrar
Senior User
The Aerostar might not have been popular in California, but here in Florida you couldn't go anywhere without seeing them, right up til that stupid program. During that time the junk yards were full of them. Perfectly good vehicles with the engines seized up. Made me sick.
Also I don't think any Hummers were sold under that program because the purchase vehicle had to have a combined fuel economy value of at least 22 mpg, and the Hummer was lucky to get 18 mpg on the highway.
The Aerostar is the most practical vehicle ever made. Lots of room, comfortable, excellent visibility, easy to drive, decent gas mileage, adequate power (3.0), 3900 lb towing capacity, and great longevity. My 87 has over 300,000 miles. I'll never give it up as long as I can make it go.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:37 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
That's right; if it wasn't for that mileage provision slipped in by the California senators, that program would have been a second bail out for GM. I'm just saying you can't blame Obama for that program. GM was also the company that replaced the red trolleys in LA with those diesel spewing buses. What a great company.

I totally agree on the practicality of the Aerostar, on all points. Yet, it was still losing shares to the Chrysler minivans, which in general have had much worse reliability. Ford wanted a newly styled can to compete, and it gave us the Windstar. That decision was stupefying to a lot of us fans: bigger on the outside, smaller on the inside, and worse reliability. Maybe Ford got some of the customers who would have otherwise bought Chrysler vans, but the people who wanted the same features of Aerostars went and bought Astros.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Benny Divine
New User
Originally Posted by Car Guy
This thread is dedicated to obsolete Aerostar parts information. Mainly 'wear' items no longer manufactured (new or rebuilt) that still need to be replaced by us Aerostar freaks. I realize there is some info online regarding obsolete Aerostar parts. However, a centralized thread like this will be a great resource for everybody. We can also brainstorm ideas in this thread on possible replacement options. Please feel free to ad any relative information to this thread. I intend to locate and post all the original Ford part numbers too. This will help with parts research and matching specifications. I'll do my best to keep this first post updated with all pertinent information!

I found a few mentions online of sourcing springs from other vehicles that might work. However, no solid leads or a solution. I haven't done extensive research on front AWD coil springs, but will be. I also plan on contacting coil spring shops to see if anybody would be interested in doing a manufacturing run. This is assuming I can acquire original specifications for the factory springs. There must be many others looking for new front springs for their AWD besides myself! Who knows, we'll see, maybe a group buy? I feel this is going to be one of the toughest obsolete parts to come up with.

This is for two bushings on the rear upper control arm. I found little information in terms of a viable replacement option for these. If no other information surfaces regarding these I'll probably try to come up with something. (If anybody would like to donate a clean/rust free upper control with the bushing still intact for research, please PM me!) There must be something out there that will work.

NOTE: 1 of the 3 bushings on the upper control arm is still available. This is for the other 2 that are on the passenger side of the differential.

Cross member bushings - Ford part # FO9Z-6A023-C

I'm confident coming up with a good replacement option for these is very possible. There is some information online for replacing these with a bushing of some sort meant for another application. My Aerostar desparatly needs these bushings and I'll be figuring something out ASAP.

That is all for now. I know there are at least a few other obsolete parts that I haven't had time to research yet. Feel free to post up anything else!

My transmission guy SWEARS that the speed sensor on my E4WD transfer case is obsolete and can only be obtained from a junkyard. That might just be him trying to get out of taking out the transmission he just rebuilt that still slips like crazy.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:28 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Benny Divine
My transmission guy SWEARS that the speed sensor on my E4WD transfer case is obsolete and can only be obtained from a junkyard. That might just be him trying to get out of taking out the transmission he just rebuilt that still slips like crazy.

Yes, the speed sensors on the t-case are obsolete. You better tell your tranny guy to re-read Mitchell repair guide, all those sensors do is tell the box under your drivers seat to lock the t-case into 4-lo. They are not vital sensors or sensors that control the transmission.