1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change frequency observation

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Oil change frequency observation

Disclaimer (added to relieve tension): This is an observation thread please don't take it so personally. It's just an observation. It's not a shot at any individual and their likes and where they choose to spend their money. It's just an observation.

So it seems that often times while browsing the forums you come across differing opinions on oil change intervals. Severe duty and diesel aside you'll read some that religiously change oil at 3k no matter what. They feel better doing so as "cheap insurance". Then you get the crowd who does the Blackstone(?) analysis and will stretch the intervals based on good findings. They feel better and call the frequent oil changers out saying they're wasting money.

For my typical gasoline motor I'm getting 2 5 gal jugs and a filter. Each just is about $18 and a filter about $4. So 1-1/2 jugs and the filer is about $30 per oil change.

So then I look at the person calling out the frequent oil change person. This person arguing about the wasted money on oil changes has a lift kit, bigger tires, fancy bumpers, upgraded interior stuff, and other mods here and there that typically as zero value to a vehicle. The guy changing the oil more
Frequently has maybe a couple small mods here and there. So the guy who has spent $1000's is telling the guy who changes his oil frequently that he's wasting his money? For the cost of the modded out truck you could change your oil 100-200 times and still be less than the total of the mods in the one truck.

Even if it's two non modded trucks and the guy owns it for 150,000 miles it's only $1500 in oil changes at 3k intervals. Idk, over the life of a truck that's not a ton of money considering other people spend way more than that on "wasteful" mods.

Now if you want to argue it's a waste of oil.....sure......but I hope you recycle your waste oils.

Just drives me crazy when people buy $20,000-$60,000 trucks to complain of an extra $600, especially when money spent on items that do nothing to a vehicle. At least fresh oil can't be a bad thing. Right?

Old 01-28-2016, 03:48 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do what makes you feel better about it. I change mine @ 5k miles with full synthetic oil. Always have.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
So it seems that often times while browsing the forums you come across differing opinions on oil change intervals. Severe duty and diesel aside you'll read some that religiously change oil at 3k no matter what. They feel better doing so as "cheap insurance". Then you get the crowd who does the Blackstone(?) analysis and will stretch the intervals based on good findings. They feel better and call the frequent oil changers out saying they're wasting money.

For my typical gasoline motor I'm getting 2 5 gal jugs and a filter. Each just is about $18 and a filter about $4. So 1-1/2 jugs and the filer is about $30 per oil change.

So then I look at the person calling out the frequent oil change person. This person arguing about the wasted money on oil changes has a lift kit, bigger tires, fancy bumpers, upgraded interior stuff, and other mods here and there that typically as zero value to a vehicle. The guy changing the oil more
Frequently has maybe a couple small mods here and there. So the guy who has spent $1000's is telling the guy who changes his oil frequently that he's wasting his money? For the cost of the modded out truck you could change your oil 100-200 times and still be less than the total of the mods in the one truck.

Even if it's two non modded trucks and the guy owns it for 150,000 miles it's only $1500 in oil changes at 3k intervals. Idk, over the life of a truck that's not a ton of money considering other people spend way more than that on "wasteful" mods.

Now if you want to argue it's a waste of oil.....sure......but I hope you recycle your waste oils.

Just drives me crazy when people buy $20,000-$60,000 trucks to complain of an extra $600, especially when money spent on items that do nothing to a vehicle. At least fresh oil can't be a bad thing. Right?
You are correct. Fresh oil will never hurt your vehicle. I changed mine every 5k miles. I travel on dirt roads a lot and plow so I think that is adequate. Some may say you change it too frequently, but if you're happy at 3k then do it for peace of mind.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:02 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
I change mine at 3k miles and I do recycle. Mine sits ALOT, so the reason for the frequency. I use MC 5-20 syn. with a motorcraft filter.

I change at 3k miles in all I have ever owned.

Just purchased a 2016 VW beetle Turbo that has recommended 10k miles oil change intervals, including the initial change!??? Even called 2 dealer service dept's and said if it was changed before recommended time, it could have an affect on the warranty if failure occurred and it could be traced back to not following oil change interval. What??? I'm not sure how to describe what I think about that.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:35 PM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
10,000km intervals here. Full synthetic oil and mobil 1 filters. Run my vehicles to 400,000km never had any engine trouble. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:38 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by sammy77
Do what makes you feel better about it. I change mine @ 5k miles with full synthetic oil. Always have.

Oh I'm not concerned with what I do. I'm just saying how funny it is watching the pot call the kettle black about this issue. Or other nonsense.

For example I purchased and installed a Harbor Freight winch (which is highly rated) for very limited use around the property and for my business. I decided on HF due to not knowing if I'd used it enough. I spent nearly $600 setting it all up. Some will say, and did, that I should've dropped the $1500+ for a Warn.

But if I say I change oil at 2-3,000 for $30 I'm may get the "Well that's a waste of money because you don't need that....." Yet I'm being told to buy a more expensive item, stated above, even though I don't need the more expensive item.....

Just silliness.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:41 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Oh I'm not concerned with what I do. I'm just saying how funny it is watching the pot call the kettle black about this issue. Or other nonsense.

For example I purchased and installed a Harbor Freight winch (which is highly rated) for very limited use around the property and for my business. I decided on HF due to not knowing if I'd used it enough. I spent nearly $600 setting it all up. Some will say, and did, that I should've dropped the $1500+ for a Warn.

But if I say I change oil at 2-3,000 for $30 I'm may get the "Well that's a waste of money because you don't need that....." Yet I'm being told to buy a more expensive item, stated above, even though I don't need the more expensive item.....

Just silliness.

Trust me, I know how you feel. I'm always getting crap for doing mine @ 5k miles.. Lol

Old 01-28-2016, 04:43 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
An oil change is about a tank of fuel for me, truck and car both. If the cost of an oil change is a deal breaker to someone, they own the wrong vehicle. Trying to change people's minds on the topic is a fool's errand.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:06 PM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As long as the oil is still slippery she's all good. I knew someone who didn't believe in oil changes though on another note. Bought a new vehicle traded it off at 100,000 km with factory oil. Mercedes BMW Audi didn't matter what vehicle he owned.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
5k is easy to remember by just using the odometer (75,000, 105,000, 120,000)
10K is just as easy, but too long an interval for me.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:16 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
some folks like running oil for 10K miles, batteries until the alternator fries, tires until they slide all over the road....to each their own.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Remember, my point isn't necessarily when you change oil. Just how some people often cite wasted money with quicker oil changes that are quite inexpensive yet spend thousands on other stuff and "bling" that adds zero value, other than personal, to the vehicle and get zero return on investment, other than personal. Remember only the people saying you waste money with extra changes, not when or how many, and how inexpensive that can be.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Coachhick
Senior User
I don't know that any of it matters. I mod my trucks with bling. Lights, systems, upgraded mirrors. Seats. Whatever

Because I love it!

I change my oil around 5,000 miles because I feel like with my understanding of modern engines, that's about a good time. I think 3,000 is a little overkill. It was good for the 360s and 351s, but once the modular motor was developed, those frequent intervals became unnecessary due to tighter tolerances in the motor internals, better control of fuel mixtures, etc

But I do think that them running suggested intervals to 10,000 miles + is the yuppie liberals trying to be "green"

Old 01-28-2016, 07:10 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Remember, my point isn't necessarily when you change oil. Just how some people often cite wasted money with quicker oil changes that are quite inexpensive yet spend thousands on other stuff and "bling" that adds zero value, other than personal, to the vehicle and get zero return on investment, other than personal. Remember only the people saying you waste money with extra changes, not when or how many, and how inexpensive that can be.
Seems like this is a thread to stereotype those who disagree with you.

I've never spent a dime on an appearance mod for a truck. Don't plan to either, I think it's a waste of money. I also don't waste money dumping oil every 3,000 miles, that's just silly. Folks disagree with me on both counts, and that's okay, I have no need to tell others how to live their lives.

So where do I fit into your paradigm?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tom
Seems like this is a thread to stereotype those who disagree with you.

I've never spent a dime on an appearance mod for a truck. Don't plan to either, I think it's a waste of money. I also don't waste money dumping oil every 3,000 miles, that's just silly. Folks disagree with me on both counts, and that's okay, I have no need to tell others how to live their lives.

So where do I fit into your paradigm?
As the omniscient moderator.

Quick Reply: Oil change frequency observation