Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil change on hpop

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 03:43 PM
onebadv2
Mountain Pass

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil change on hpop

ok, I'm stuck inside due to some recent shoulder surgery and have been watching anything an everything on YouTube about 7.3's or diesels in general. I've been on this forum many times but have never ran across anything that discussed what the Powerstrokehelp guy had to say about injector care. States the oil in the hpop or top end of the motor does not circulate as in other areas of the engine. Therefore, he says the oil needs to be sucked out of the hpop and replaced. recommends doing this in 3 increments at a quart removed and replaced each time with 5 minutes run time between. Any thoughts?

Old 01-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Ignore anyone that insists you need to change the HPOP oil. The oil in that reservoir comes directly from the oil pan and cycles fairly quick. NOTHING good comes from sucking out the HPOP oil but many bad things can (and have) happened. It's not worth messing with so just stick to the regular oil change intervals and you should be fine. I change my oil every 8-10k miles.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think what he must have meant was that in order to do a complete oil change you have to drain the HPOP reservoir as well since it holds a volume of oil. He couldn't of meant it didn't circulate, cause how did it get there then?? He meant it doesn't drain back to the pan, but it does circulate.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Absolute
I think what he must have meant was that in order to do a complete oil change you have to drain the HPOP reservoir as well since it holds a volume of oil. He couldn't of meant it didn't circulate, cause how did it get there then?? He meant it doesn't drain back to the pan, but it does circulate.
It's possible that is what he meant but even so.....changing the HPOP oil still won't result in a complete oil change. There is oil in the reservoir/front cover that can't be accessed with a suction tube so no matter what.....all the oil can't be evacuated. Then there is about a quart of oil in each cylinder head.

It's really a waste of time to suck out what little of the HPOP oil that you can get with a suction tube. It's like tossing a hand full of sand on a camp fire in hopes it will extinguish the flame. The risk/reward ratio is prohibitive so it's best to leave the HPOP alone when performing an oil change.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:32 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
I did this often on the fleet, kept the oil clean even at 4k but after a while it started to get old and i just stoped doing all together. On my obs I do it once every 3 oil changes to keep the oil nice and clean

Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Don't waste your time. If you have bad injectors some guys suck it out and put in there type of snake oil to help them out. All oil goes back into the pan at some point. This oil changes fairly quickly and bends back in with the rest. Like said above there is much more oil in other places that don't get changed out either.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:55 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by onebadv2
ok, I'm stuck inside due to some recent shoulder surgery and have been watching anything an everything on YouTube about 7.3's or diesels in general. I've been on this forum many times but have never ran across anything that discussed what the Powerstrokehelp guy had to say about injector care. States the oil in the hpop or top end of the motor does not circulate as in other areas of the engine. Therefore, he says the oil needs to be sucked out of the hpop and replaced. recommends doing this in 3 increments at a quart removed and replaced each time with 5 minutes run time between. Any thoughts?
This is why that guy has no credibility on here! He claims to have built many 7.3's, and, maybe he has. My question to him would be, where does the oil go once it flows to the injectors? Back to the HPOP? NO! It goes to the oil pan!

Like every one else said, not necessary to change it. Now, if you have a way to suck out the pint or so, then feel free to do it. But his reasoning is so far off reality it ain't funny.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:27 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Besides being unnecessary, a big downside is possibly damaging that HPOP reservoir plug. That plug isn't meant to be removed and replaced regularly and if you mess it up, you're in for way more work than you set out to do. Plus, you increase the chances of dropping foreign material into it.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Absolute
Elder User
I think the original poster did not write what actually was said. Or the guy in the video explained it terribly, as I did above. What I think he is saying is. If you want to do a COMPLETE oil change you have to change the oil in the pan, hpop reservoir, and rails. To do this you drain the reservoir (Pan empty), fill reservoir with new oil, crank 5 times to pump it into rails and push old oil out into empty pan so dirty oil is not pumped into engine killing the plan. Then repeat 2 more times to get new oil all the way threw. So the Only failure in his explanation is you only drain the reservoir once, and just fill it 3 times, and the pan must be empty. So the theory is solid, just a waste of time if you ask me. In fact, the best way to change the tranny fluid is with a very similar procedure.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:34 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I for one ain't gonna hit the key with no oil in the crankcase to test his idea.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Ya, if for some reason I wanted to even do this. I would crank by hand. Makes no difference, its gear driven, no need for speed.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If you have any doubt about how well oil circulates through your HPOP reservoir, remove the plug on the top of the reservoir and crank the engine.

You might have some clean up to do, but all doubts will be removed about weather enough oil flows through the reservoir to provide enough circulation.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the original poster did not write what actually was said. Or the guy in the video explained it terribly, as I did above. What I think he is saying is. If you want to do a COMPLETE oil change you have to change the oil in the pan, hpop reservoir, and rails. To do this you drain the reservoir (Pan empty), fill reservoir with new oil, crank 5 times to pump it into rails and push old oil out into empty pan so dirty oil is not pumped into engine killing the plan. Then repeat 2 more times to get new oil all the way threw. So the Only failure in his explanation is you only drain the reservoir once, and just fill it 3 times, and the pan must be empty. So the theory is solid, just a waste of time if you ask me. In fact, the best way to change the tranny fluid is with a very similar procedure.
No, he said it doesn't circulate. I saw the video where he said the high pressure system a closed system. I think the guy is a complete tool.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Hahaha. That's funny. I never saw the video and forgot he said it doesn't circulate. Post the link , I want to see.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I presume you would unplug the CPS to keep the engine from starting? Even so, it still won't drain all the oil. Cranking (or turning by hand) 5 times will only pump HPOP oil through the IPR and then to the pan. The oil rails in the heads will retain the used oil. Only way to evacuate the 2 quarts in the heads is to remove the oil rail plugs or pull the injectors.

Quick Reply: oil change on hpop