1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Loss of an American hero

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:06 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Loss of an American hero

America lost a hero. My dear Uncle Bryce passed from this world to that of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ this past Thursday evening. He was a hero of the old order. Uncle Bryce answered his country's call to service during WW2. He was assigned to a B-24 in the Army Air Corps; at 24 he was the oldest member of the crew. His job was manning a waist gun and arming the bombs on their craft. Their first mission proved to be their last, as they were shot down. Uncle Bryce was the last out of the plane; he stayed to help a fellow crew member with his chute. His chute opened just moments before he hit the ground; his right arm and leg were broken. His first awareness was of having his head jerked back by a peasant who then held a knife to his throat. A German patrol stumbled upon the scene and saved his life. Uncle Bryce survived near starvation and numerous diseases whilst imprisoned. He also survived the death march.Death March and Research of WWII B-24 POW Stalag Lufts of WW2.

Upon liberation, Uncle Bryce came home, started a family, and moved on with his life. He didn't expect anything for his service. Nor did he wear his sacrifices on his sleeve. He came to forgive those who held he and fellow POWs captive, including those who mistreated them. In fact, one of their favorite guards was invited to and attended some of the reunions. Uncle Bryce was the second to the last of his crew.

His passing won't be mentioned or even noticed by the president or any national news figures. But to me, he was bigger than life, and I'm proud to call him my uncle.

Godspeed, Uncle Bryce. Thank you for your service.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:53 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
1952henry, Thank you for telling us about your uncle, a very real American Hero! I'm sorry for your loss, but he is truly at rest, completely healed and basking in the Glory of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! The ranks of WW2 veterans is thinning more every day, sad to see them go.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:53 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
He sounds like a remarkable men, sorry for your loss but happy he enriched your life. Thanks for sharing ..

Old 01-24-2016, 02:06 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Condolences to you and yours. Your uncle was an amazing man

Bobby

Old 01-24-2016, 02:07 PM
jmast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Henry, thanks for sharing about your uncle. There is a reason they call his generation the greatest. I am very fortunate to volunteer with a group called Honor Flight Kentucky. Our sole mission is to honor WWII, Korean, and Vietnam soldiers for their sacrifice and heroism by flying them to Washington D.C. to see THEIR memorials for free. I certainly hope that your uncle was able to go on one of those flights. If not, I am sorry. I certainly would have loved to meet him. They are all special in their own way.If you have any more relatives that were in those wars, or anyone you know fought for our freedoms, please contact me. I will do my best to get them on a flight. We are losing these heroes way to fast.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:09 PM
jmast
New User
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
1952henry, Thank you for telling us about your uncle, a very real American Hero! I'm sorry for your loss, but he is truly at rest, completely healed and basking in the Glory of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! The ranks of WW2 veterans is thinning more every day, sad to see them go.
Well said.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:10 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Amazing what our "Greatest Generation" went through and sacrificed for us. These guys are the real heroes, not sports stars or Hollywood stars and definitely not Bruce Jenner!

Sorry to see your uncle go. Prayers are with you and for you.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:43 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Add my condolences, Owen. He and others of his generation saved this world, but he now enters a far better world. Still, I'm sorry for your loss. Stu

Old 01-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I get emotional when I learn about the passing of war heroes; especially those that come home and are so humble they ask for nothing yet they were willing to risk everything. My condolences to you and your family.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:52 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Your uncle was a hero and we will miss him and the all of his kind.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Your Uncle Bryce truly should be remembered just as you described him. His generation
saw some of the worst and some of the best years in American and World History. He surely went above and beyond and deserves to remembered as a Great American. Your story relates that he made an impression in your life.
God Bless You and Your family.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:11 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a loss we see to often these days. That generation was special. My dad use to joke about the metal they received for being the most shot at squadron in the Navy! They never left Pearl Harbor but pulled targets for all of the ships heading out into the pacific for practice. He use to say you could tell the crews that saw a lot of Zeros as they would shoot at the tow line instead of the 50 foot long sock they towed a few hundred feet behind the plane. They actually got hit twice and had to make emergency landings. I still think he was a member of that generation and should be called a hero. Sorry for the ramble but your story brought back memories. Your uncle will never be forgotten. I am sorry for your loss dls

Old 01-24-2016, 05:21 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Im so sorry to here of your uncles passing, sounds like he was an extraordinary man. I don't think your uncles generation get the recognition they deserve. Most were just kids when they answered the call to save the world, which they did. The horrors experienced by so many of them would prove to haunt them for the rest of there lives, which they usually kept to themselves and came home to raise there family's like nothing had ever happened. May God bless and keep your uncle in his warm embrace always. Im sure He has a seat at the table.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
One of the many heroes that may have gone forgotten were it not for their family and friends. Thanks for sharing his and your story and thanks for remembering the service of a true American hero. BZ

Old 01-24-2016, 05:45 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I read Unbroken last month. It is about the Olympic track runner (Louis Zamperini). Awesome story about brutal beatings at the hand of the Japanese. And he then forgave his captors after he accepted Christ at a Billy Graham tent meeting.

Quick Reply: Loss of an American hero