1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding upfitter switches to 2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:22 AM
TFLT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mark_k
On mounting the relay box, how hard was that to do? Looking on the sheet that came with them, it looks like the dash would have to be pulled. Thanks
No, just pull the panel below the steering column, as well as the coin dish and your done. The relay box mounts to 2 steel brackets that are already in place on the left side of the opening behind the panel you remove. you will have to fiddle with the relay box to get it oriented correctly in the brackets but it will work, it's just a little puzzle built into your truck. You'll get it!

Patrick

Old 02-06-2016, 07:17 PM
mark_k
5th Wheeling
Where is C-215 hidden? Ive pulled the lower dash panel out and cant find it, thinking of pulling the top half. I pulled the little tray compartment next to the center console and found 2 wires plugged into the back of it. (any ideas what they might be for?) It looks like on the picture I have it may be behind the steel bar in there. Thanks

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM
TFLT
Junior User
Originally Posted by mark_k
Where is C-215 hidden? Ive pulled the lower dash panel out and cant find it, thinking of pulling the top half. I pulled the little tray compartment next to the center console and found 2 wires plugged into the back of it. (any ideas what they might be for?) It looks like on the picture I have it may be behind the steel bar in there. Thanks
C-215 plug is high on the firewall, on the pass side of the steering column. It is not easily identifiable because there is a "filler plug" installed in it that needs to be removed so you can plug your harness into it. The filler plug will come out without much drama and then you will see how your upfitter harness plugs into it.

The only panels I removed were the coin dish for the switches themselves and the one below the steering wheel, no wires involved.

I just completed my install this weekend by adding LED spots up front, wired to upfitter 1, and an LED aux reverse/work light wired to upfitter 3. I'm very happy with the results it was worth the twisting and turning under the dash.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Steeda
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This does not work on the 2016 models if it did not come with it. I just spent collectively over 3 hours on calls with Ford and the dealership. Apparently this was possible up to 2015 and that harness was located where TFLT says, but on 2016 Ford doesn't allow that unless it comes from the factory and doesn't even make it an aftermarket option like they did up to 2015. In fact Ford says that if it is attempted in 2016 it will void the warranty. I also asked about wiring the switches independently of the harness and they said they are not sure that is even possible. Why would Ford change this crap like this and the dealers not even educate the consumer. The dealership flat out told me that this could be done easily, now I find out it cant be done at all! The ONLY thing that may be able to be done according to the dealer, not sanctioned by Ford is to take the dash and instrument panel apart and "see" if there is a harness to plug into, but that is slim at best that it would be there. I even saw the wiring schematics for the 2015 and the 2016 that the dealer showed me and it supports what Ford said, the wiring schematics are completely different and that harness on the 2015, is NOT present in the 2016. Thought I would share.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Has anyone used the right side wire harness? If so, what did you connect to it?

Old 06-04-2016, 06:21 AM
DK2016F250
New User
SWITCHES CAN BE ADDED TO A 2016

The one post on here about not being able to add them to a 2016 is INCORRECT. I have a 2016 f250 XLT 4x4. I have added them. Total time 15 minutes. You need to purchase the switches, wiring, and the relays. The plug that the switches connect can be found by laying under the dash on the drivers side, look directly above the steering shaft you will see a white 8 pin connector approx. 1" x 2" it has a grey dummy plug plugged into it. remove the grey dummy plug this is where your new harness for the switches plug into. from there mount the relay box behind the lower dash cover just under the steering wheel. ( it is removed by lifting slightly up and pulling out.) I mounted mine right next to the trailer brake harness located on the left side behind the panel. Next you need to remove the coin slot. My truck has a center console so to remove the coin slot I lifted slightly up and used a flat micro screwdriver and slightly pried the bottom out. Then use a small coat hanger and feed it through towards the new harness. Tape the plug end for the switches to the hanger and pull them through. Connect them to the switches and push the switches into their new home. You will need to add a fuse into the factory fuse box on the passenger side kick panel in order for the switches to work. DONE

Old 06-04-2016, 10:55 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How I missed the Up Fitter Switches Lifters ?? So now they're on my to do list .. Thanks to everyone for all the info ..

Old 06-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Steeda
New User
I appreciate you correcting my reply about the upfitter switches not working on a 2016 F250 XLT 4x4, that information that I provided was after speaking with 4 dealers over the course of 3 days. They are showing no parts available for these switches for the 2016. So can you please provide me with the part names and numbers that you gathered for the switches, relay and wiring for these switches? Ford does not list anything for the truck because according to them and even the lack of a 2016 wiring schematics the option does not exist for this truck. Thank you.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM
DK2016F250
New User
Swirches...

Originally Posted by Steeda
I appreciate you correcting my reply about the upfitter switches not working on a 2016 F250 XLT 4x4, that information that I provided was after speaking with 4 dealers over the course of 3 days. They are showing no parts available for these switches for the 2016. So can you please provide me with the part names and numbers that you gathered for the switches, relay and wiring for these switches? Ford does not list anything for the truck because according to them and even the lack of a 2016 wiring schematics the option does not exist for this truck. Thank you.
Steeda; i cannot remember the part numbers and i have thrown out the packages. However, go to ebay.com and search for upfitter awitches. You will aee a listing from Fairway Ford on the bottom of the listing you will see a phone and contact name. Give them a call he is great and very helpful. I called them prior to ordering and he was a great help. I even contacted the Ford Body Builders prior to ordering just to verify. I ordered the complete kit from Fairway for cheaper than anyone else offered it. Perfect fit and works great.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Steeda
New User
Awesome thanks!

Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 PM
Gator16
New User
Originally Posted by DK2016F250
The one post on here about not being able to add them to a 2016 is INCORRECT. I have a 2016 f250 XLT 4x4. I have added them. Total time 15 minutes. You need to purchase the switches, wiring, and the relays. The plug that the switches connect can be found by laying under the dash on the drivers side, look directly above the steering shaft you will see a white 8 pin connector approx. 1" x 2" it has a grey dummy plug plugged into it. remove the grey dummy plug this is where your new harness for the switches plug into. from there mount the relay box behind the lower dash cover just under the steering wheel. ( it is removed by lifting slightly up and pulling out.) I mounted mine right next to the trailer brake harness located on the left side behind the panel. Next you need to remove the coin slot. My truck has a center console so to remove the coin slot I lifted slightly up and used a flat micro screwdriver and slightly pried the bottom out. Then use a small coat hanger and feed it through towards the new harness. Tape the plug end for the switches to the hanger and pull them through. Connect them to the switches and push the switches into their new home. You will need to add a fuse into the factory fuse box on the passenger side kick panel in order for the switches to work. DONE
Does the F250 have the four pass through wires across the firewall into the engine bay if the factory didn't install the Upfitter switches? I'd rather not drill through the firewall if I don't have to.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Yes........

Old 01-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Gator16
New User
Originally Posted by Ron94150
Yes........
Thanks, just looked again, they were just tucked in a pretty heard to reach place, looks nothing like this: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...C-PTO_v1-0.pdf

Old 04-07-2018, 10:47 AM
tmacc
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Upfitter switches are on my to do list. This thread has been really helpful. One question that you may be able to answer for me.....I have a XLT w/o fog lights. I'd like to add a 20'' light bar in the bumper opening. On the front frame cross bar, just under and behind the radiator are two capped off connectors. One has wire color yellow/black and the other is yellow/purple w/ a green tracer. Are they for fog lights?

Old 04-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
That's the correct location for it, but my truck only had 1 plug there that I can remember. I'll try and remember to look at the colors when I get home.

Quick Reply: adding upfitter switches to 2016