Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Start stop for all 2017 turbo'd f150?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:43 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Credit given bud! Most people aren't that self aware.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
well, I have a personal issue with relying on a piece of electronics to save me in the event I need it......support, ok, but being the primary mechanism to rely upon that I may need to avoid a rear end collision, not my comfort level,
Not sure what you drive, but the last F150 to use a mechanical throttle linkage was the '03 model. I'm not aware of a vehicle currently made without an electronic throttle body, so it looks like you'll be confined to the older used market.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:01 PM
srb1194
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive what's in my signature. Drive by wire is fine by me but the auto stop isn't. I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Not sure what you drive, but the last F150 to use a mechanical throttle linkage was the '03 model. I'm not aware of a vehicle currently made without an electronic throttle body, so it looks like you'll be confined to the older used market.
grin....my newest is a 2006 Mark LT, I tuned the engine myself, built my own duel exhaust (except for the allied resonators), then let a muffler shop do the final install, built (and tested) my own ram air system, and when I looked at the rear sway bar assemblies out there, and visited one mfg in beautiful Tulare County, I ran as fast I could back to SoCal, and built my own rear sway bar assembly.....why?, because ford basically decided that if one was to get into trouble (handling wise) with this truck, the driver would rely upon the traction control and other systems to 'save' them......so let me get this right...

wait until you get into trouble, then rely on an e-box to save you...not on my life..

the sport ride of the truck was completely enhanced.....If you happen to ever stop into galpin motorsports in the SF valley, ask the manager.......we went for a ride with him & his crew...... as we entered the freeway on a tailback turn, the mgr asked the one of the guys in the rear....whose truck they lowered, etc., "how does this compare to yours?....the answer, if I drove mine at this speed in this corner, I would be all over the road! You sure you didn't change out anything else?

my answer...nope!...and it's only a 1/2" diameter sway bay......it's the end link system and attachment points that I built that give it the edge.......

Old 01-23-2016, 07:19 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by srb1194
I drive what's in my signature. Drive by wire is fine by me the auto stop isn't. I don't think that's a fair comparison.
Take a look at my quote, I was responding to Beechkid. He said he wasn't comfortable with an electronic system being responsible for getting him out of trouble.

Every time you press the accelerator pedal you are relying on three potentiometers in the pedal assembly to communicate what you're commanding to the PCM. The PCM then takes that and signals the throttle body to act based on your command. I don't see the difference between the two. We rely on electronics to act properly and drive us down the road every day, and it's pretty rare for someone to assert they're unsafe. If you think that's perfectly fine and start/stop isn't that's your prerogative, but I don't think it makes logical sense.

I use the Prius as an example frequently because it represents the extreme. Has more electronic control than just about any vehicle ever made, and over its twenty year history has proven to be one of the most reliable things on the road. I had a '13 that I really liked, and I'd happily own one again. Not many similarities between that and an F150, but Toyota has gotten the stop/start thing right for longer than some of our soldiers overseas have been alive.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:24 PM
srb1194
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom
Take a look at my quote, I was responding to Beechkid. He said he wasn't comfortable with an electronic system being responsible for getting him out of trouble.

Every time you press the accelerator pedal you are relying on three potentiometers in the pedal assembly to communicate what you're commanding to the PCM. The PCM then takes that and signals the throttle body to act based on your command. I don't see the difference between the two. We rely on electronics to act properly and drive us down the road every day, and it's pretty rare for someone to assert they're unsafe. If you think that's perfectly fine and start/stop isn't that's your prerogative, but I don't think it makes logical sense.

I use the Prius as an example frequently because it represents the extreme. Has more electronic control than just about any vehicle ever made, and over its twenty year history has proven to be one of the most reliable things on the road. I had a '13 that I really liked, and I'd happily own one again. Not many similarities between that and an F150, but Toyota has gotten the stop/start thing right for longer than some of our soldiers overseas have been alive.
Sorry about that. Maybe I was loaded for bull on my reply. I just don't like that darn concept. I can't help it. I'll look closer next time.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by Tom

Toyota....right......

Let's see, in the 80's

They were found guilty in a federal grand jury investigation for employing their personnel at numerous town halls/city council meetings (socal), falsifying their residences so they could give public input against electric vehicle charging stations (state/federally funded)....as a result of their partnership with GM...yes, one of the tools used to kill the EV2.....(yeah, myself & wife both worked for GMHE...wifey at corporate headquarters)

In the 90's they got nailed for nationwide insurance fraud (yes, they partnered w/GM to sell their OEM extended warranties)....my wife bought one and yes, they declared bankruptcy....on year 4...but the impact was so minimal (per the state attorney general at the time, no criminal charges were filed)

in the 2000's...

400,000 Toyota trucks with rusted out frames...to the point state safety inspectors on state specific required inspections are "tagging these vehicles" unsafe for operation (the 1st run was 1995 to 2005, which Toyota denied all coverage on and the second run occurred starting in 2009).....then they have a limited recall, then the class actions started

and the prius..
I use the Prius as an example frequently because it represents the extreme. Has more electronic control than just about any vehicle ever made....

yes, talk to any fire fighter who has completed the "advanced rescue/response training" specific to your vehicle....you are a rolling hazardous materials incident waiting to happen....check with your insurance carrier...you have additional coverage for (Hazardous Material Response & Clean-up)....this is specific for haz-mat team response & mitigation.......

during transition from gas to electric...you may not have power assist brakes for 3-15 seconds (as noted in your owners manual-federal exemption provided)

Old 01-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
What does any of that have to do with start/stop technology? I provide an example that's been doing well for 20 years and you post about the integrity of the company that made it?

Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
What does any of that have to do with start/stop technology? I provide an example that's been doing well for 20 years and you post about the integrity of the company that made it?
The Prius Atkinson engine is designed for infrequent use and has direct connection electric motor for those start-stops.

The 2.7EB is a normal Otto engine, I can only imagine the wear and tear on the battery, starter, main bearings, cylinder walls, serpentine belts, tensioners, automatic transmission pump, bands, bearings etc....

But if it works, then great, if not, I wouldn't be surprised.

Still curious why the Ecoboosts are targeted and not the naturally aspirated engines.

Josh

Old 01-23-2016, 10:03 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Lots of folks are, and I just don't understand it. I used to have a Prius that would start and stop the engine automatically and it never bothered me. The engine just sits there wasting gas when you're stopped at a light, so what's wrong with it shutting itself down?
I had a 2015 Chevy Malibu with start/stop for 10 days over the summer. I didn't realize it did because having the A/C on would disable it. Third day I had the car I was driving with the A/C off, stopping to make a left turn in front of a 4 lane road the car shut down. When I went to take off the delay for the engine to restart and get going made the safe distance to make my turn not so safe, but at this point i'm committed. After that happened I kept the A/C on and never had an issue again. I tried it a few times and the lag was ridiculous and unsafe in my opinion.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
The Prius Atkinson engine is designed for infrequent use
There's nothing infrequent about the usage of a gas engine in any conventional hybrid. The engine is running >90% of the time the wheels are moving, that's hardly infrequent. And it has every single component you mentioned that you are concerned about in the Ford engine, and they just don't break. Not talking specifically about Toyotas either, hybrids in general seem to be holding up very well as they accrue miles even with start/stop.

Still curious why the Ecoboosts are targeted and not the naturally aspirated engines.
Me too. Perhaps they're rolling the tech out progressively to see what it does to customer preference between engines.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:22 PM
Beechkid
The Prius Atkinson engine is designed for infrequent use and has direct connection electric motor for those start-stops.

The 2.7EB is a normal Otto engine, I can only imagine the wear and tear on the battery, starter, main bearings, cylinder walls, serpentine belts, tensioners, automatic transmission pump, bands, bearings etc....

But if it works, then great, if not, I wouldn't be surprised.

Josh
There ya go...my thoughts as well......

Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I had a 2015 Chevy Malibu with start/stop for 10 days over the summer. I didn't realize it did because having the A/C on would disable it. Third day I had the car I was driving with the A/C off, stopping to make a left turn in front of a 4 lane road the car shut down. When I went to take off the delay for the engine to restart and get going made the safe distance to make my turn not so safe, but at this point i'm committed. After that happened I kept the A/C on and never had an issue again. I tried it a few times and the lag was ridiculous and unsafe in my opinion.
Funny, I had the exact same POS as a rent car on a trip... with the same stupid auto stop/start. That lasted all of about 10 minutes until I found the off button.

I don't buy that the stop/start cycles don't cause additional engine wear. I'm about to sell my '09 with 180K on the clock, and fully expect the 2016 replacement to last at least as long. I've never replaced a starter, it doesn't burn any oil that I can measure... and the 16 should be just the same.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:12 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
This function should be easy to disable with a tuner or maybe even a scan gauge. I wonder if the dealer would permanently disable it if a driveabilty issue was reported? I know that I wouldn't want that function on my truck.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
This function should be easy to disable with a tuner or maybe even a scan gauge. I wonder if the dealer would permanently disable it if a driveabilty issue was reported? I know that I wouldn't want that function on my truck.
Scangauge barely functions as a digital display, let alone a code a reader and certainly isn't bi-directional to change PCM settings.

Josh

Quick Reply: Start stop for all 2017 turbo'd f150?