Sponsored by:

Excursion with OEM 20 inch Platinum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:08 PM
sw20td06
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excursion with OEM 20 inch Platinum Wheels

I know this was addressed in other threads, but I needed some additional clarification. I just purchased an 05 Excursion with the 20 inch OEM Platinum wheels. I do not have the truck with me to confirm as it is in the shop getting bulletproofed. I believe there are no wheel adapters/spacers on them. I noticed rubbing noises when I turn so I am assuming I may need them. Here are my questions:

1. If I can live with the rubbing (not sure what's rubbing at this point since I just got the truck), do these OEM wheels allow the lugnuts to grab all of the wheel studs? I am not sure if the backspacing/offset interfere with this?

2. If I do go with the steel spacers from Fred Goeske, do I diminish my payload/towing safety. I heard nothing but good things about his steel spacers., however there was one comment on a youtube video which said the installer forgot to shave the tips of the stock stud when installing thus causing the wheel not to be flush against the adapter. Wheel came flying off. Definately an error on the installer's part, however I don't want to have to pay 600 dollars for wheel adapters if I don't need to.

Bottom line I want to tow and carry passengers safely and would prefer to stay with these OEM rims/tires since they are practically brand new. But if I have to with Fred Goeske's product, I don't want to worry about it failing at some point. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:41 PM
7.3Excursion4x4
Senior User
Dang that this is clean and looks awesome. Congrats. For any suspension questions on the Excursions, Cary at CT Performance is one of the most knowledgable you will find. He is more than happy to help with those type questions. (775) 835-3569

Old 01-21-2016, 12:54 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Never mind all that, I've got a really clean 04 without those wheel spacer problems that I'll trade you straight up.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:01 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Your Ex is begging for the coil spring swap.

You have gone to considerable expense to give your excursion a newer model look it makes sense to update to the newer suspension and give it the performance to match.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:50 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Sweet looking EX!
I think that it may already have spacers on it judging by the wheel placement in the photos and how far inside the center cap the front locking hubs are. If they are there it would pay to pull the rims to verify that the stock lug studs are in fact below the spacer face and to ensure the spacers are hub centric and properly torqued.

Did I mention how good your new wagon looks.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good info, but back to your questions!
Backspacing has nothing to do with the lugs bottoming out; it is the relationship of the rear of the wheel hub to the rear edge of the wheel/tire sealing lip. It is about 5.25" on those wheels, and stock is 4.5".
For spacers 1" or less, you'll need to trim the truck studs a bit so the lugs will seat all the way.
Fred's spacers are totally safe if installed correctly.
Nice lookin' ride!

Last edited by holeshotwalt; 01-21-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added backspacing numbers
Old 01-21-2016, 03:15 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Sweet looking EX!
I think that it may already have spacers on it judging by the wheel placement in the photos and how far inside the center cap the front locking hubs are. If they are there it would pay to pull the rims to verify that the stock lug studs are in fact below the spacer face and to ensure the spacers are hub centric and properly torqued.

I believe Tom is correct in his assessment.

Let's see some pics of the inside.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:31 PM
sw20td06
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 7.3Excursion4x4
Dang that this is clean and looks awesome. Congrats. For any suspension questions on the Excursions, Cary at CT Performance is one of the most knowledgable you will find. He is more than happy to help with those type questions. (775) 835-3569
Thanks! I have Cary's info and have contacted him about upgrading my suspension and shocks. I just emailed him about the spacers too. Thank you!

Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
Never mind all that, I've got a really clean 04 without those wheel spacer problems that I'll trade you straight up.
Thanks for the offer, but I'll deal with the spacer problems, if any.

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Your Ex is begging for the coil spring swap.

You have gone to considerable expense to give your excursion a newer model look it makes sense to update to the newer suspension and give it the performance to match.
I definitely would like that upgrade, but I think I am not up to the task. I hear you have to move some transmission lines and other things I've never attempted. One shop quoted me 3500 parts and labor to do the swap. Maybe in the future. I'm already spending 7k+ for a thorough bulletproofing for a truck I just got. I have to give it some time before I purchase or do anything else.

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Sweet looking EX!

That's what I was thinking, it does look spaced out pretty well now. I just don't have the truck in front of me to check. I already contacted my mechanic to double check so if I need Fred's adapters I will just go that route. Thanks!

Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
All good info, but back to your questions!
Backspacing has nothing to do with the lugs bottoming out; it is the relationship of the rear of the wheel hub to the rear edge of the wheel/tire sealing lip. It is about 5.25" on those wheels, and stock is 4.5".
For spacers 1" or less, you'll need to trim the truck studs a bit so the lugs will seat all the way.
Fred's spacers are totally safe if installed correctly.
Nice lookin' ride!
I think I understand what you mean. Sorry it takes me a while. Yes I think Fred's adapters are more than adequate, I just have to make sure that the Ford wheel studs are trimmed properly so the rim will sit flush.

Originally Posted by mecdac
I believe Tom is correct in his assessment.

Let's see some pics of the inside.
Thanks! I'll get more pics eventually. I still have to get my second row captains swapped with the bench seat I have. Debating on weather I should re-upholster the bench before I put it in. But again, this bulletproofing has taken a lot of my funds. Hopefully I never have issues for a long time after all this work is done.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have Fred's on mine. No rubbing.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:02 AM
5HUB
Senior User
Great looking truck. Have you considered selling wheels and going aftetmarket? Wider wheels . You can also check out some of the guys that have added fender flares to get front and rears to match better. Cary knows his stuff, I just ordered 4 link setup for 2010 axle swap.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM
HiZ
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
OT: Can someone in this thread verify what 2000 Excursion would have for Thread Pitch!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:18 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by HiZ
OT: Can someone in this thread verify what 2000 Excursion would have for Thread Pitch!
Coarse (ten char).

Old 01-22-2016, 11:05 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
That's a sharp X, love the '11+ front end on them.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
Coarse (ten char).
14mm X 1.50

Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 PM
anger65
Senior User
A 2000 would have 14 x 2.0 (course). 2003+ have 14 x 1.5