2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

To Fix or not to fix, that is the question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM
n2umr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Fix or not to fix, that is the question..

I have a 2011 ecoboost with 69000 miles and I am starting to get the dreaded P0016 code along with the occasional P0299. I am almost done making payments on it but I am hesitant about sinking the kind of money that it takes to repair the timing issues. SO the big question, is it worth keeping and making the repair or should I trade it and get a new 2016??

Mark

Old 01-20-2016, 12:53 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Is Ford not wanting to help out at all with the repair so soon after the warranty expired? The newer Ecoboosts have different tensioner gears to keep this from happening. The repair for your truck is in the $3-4k range and I'm not sure if there's a fix to keep it from happening again, like later engines have.

If you really like the truck and it's paid, or nearly paid off, fix it. If not, trade it in and get a new one. Only you know what makes the best economic sense for you.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:43 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
If I were in this situation, I'd dump it as fast as I could. I'm no longer in my youth and I no longer get emotional about my vehicles. They make them every day, that's my feeling on the matter.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:08 PM
JKBrad
Yeah, I'd get out of it too. That works for you and me. But for some people a new truck is tough on the budget. Especially as expensive as they are getting now.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If it's a $4k fix and otherwise you're happy with it I'd look at it like less than 10% cost of a new one (depending on what all you buy, but it doesn't take much to hit $40k). Even if it's a reoccurring problem, $4k to go another 70k miles is a good deal. Now if you were toying with the idea of getting a new one anyway, then doing it sooner than later makes much more sense. You won't get the $4k back out by making the repair prior to trading. The new trucks are significantly nicer than last generation IMO. If you take pretty good care of the trucks, then it doesn't hurt to consider leasing, not for everyone, but they do actually make sense from a financial standpoint for the right people, especially if you're the type to trade in at the first out of warranty repair (which there is nothing wrong with, it's how I make a living!)

Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
The idea of dumping a vehicle with a known expen$ive problem for the next guy to deal with leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

The only right answer here is to fix the truck and then make the decision whether or not to get a new one. To do anything less speaks volumes about your character IMHO.

ON edit: Below is a video is from a certified Ford tech on the matter, and he claims this is covered under the 8-year/80,000 mile emissions warranty. So it may not cost you anything to do the right thing before trading it off.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:32 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
The idea of dumping a vehicle with a known expen$ive problem for the next guy to deal with leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

The only right answer here is to fix the truck and then make the decision whether or not to get a new one. To do anything less speaks volumes about your character IMHO.
That's a tough thing to say Tom and I take that as a personal insult. I would trade the truck and let the dealer sort it out. The dealer can fix that truck for less than half what it would cost a walk in customer in a post warranty situation. They can easily recoup the cost of the work and deep engine work surrounding known issues is a great selling point. Sorry if my character is disappointing to you.

There's no right or wrong answer, it's an opinion based on one's situation or overall happiness with the truck. 4K is nearly half way to a new engine or a reman from the dealer. As Frantz mentioned, if it gets you another 70K miles....... That's not inspiring. What's even worse is to still be making a payment AND throwing big bucks at the engine.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tseekins
That's a tough thing to say Tom and I take that as a personal insult. I would trade the truck and let the dealer sort it out. The dealer can fix that truck for less than half what it would cost a walk in customer in a post warranty situation. They can easily recoup the cost of the work and deep engine work surrounding known issues is a great selling point. Sorry if my character is disappointing to you.
I've never been one to sugar coat things Tim, but I don't try to offend anyone. Doing the right thing often costs more, but screwing the next guy down the line is just wrong to me. The OP asked if he should fix the truck, and I offered my opinion.

Originally Posted by tseekins
There's no right or wrong answer, it's an opinion based on one's situation or overall happiness with the truck. 4K is nearly half way to a new engine or a reman from the dealer. As Frantz mentioned, if it gets you another 70K miles....... That's not inspiring. What's even worse is to still be making a payment AND throwing big bucks at the engine.
I don't see $4,000 as being an accurate number. I priced out a set of timing components a couple of months ago and it came to around $450 IIRC. Assuming marked up retail price and $100/hour it would only come to about $2,000. That's a large chunk of change, but a ways off from the number Frantz threw out. Of course he works at a dealer, so there may be something I'm missing.

Of course, if Brian the Ford tech is accurate this is all academic because the OP's truck is under warranty.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:32 PM
JKBrad
The truck would be traded with the DTCs clearly readable since a CEL light is on. The trade would be bid accordingly. If the dealer didn't want to deal with it, they could auction it. It's difficult to cover problems with late model vehicles. Now, selling privately without full disclosure would indeed be unfair.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:20 PM
Scott Stielow16
Junior User
I usually keep my Cars/Trucks on average of Ten years, and pay off early (If possible). I would try to make the fix. These trucks like the rest said are getting expensive out there.
Then at least if you decide to make a change Later? Ok do so, at least you might get a little more trade in value, not much, but might help a little. And save up more money for a down payment. Hope that helps,
Scott

Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tom, I would agree if you're just selling to someone on the street and you clear codes to mask the problem or something, but the dealerships can fix the problem at internal cost if you're trading in, and your truck will not be worth a $4k range difference with the CEL showing at trade in. I keep a code reader at work, and never once has the used car manager asked to borrow it to determine the problem on a trade in. If it feels good, it's assumed to be an emissions sensor or something minor. What will probably happen is they'll fix the immediate stuff and toss a warranty on it for the next person out to at least 100k. That's the nature of used cars, they are someone one elses problem, mistake, boredom. Hard to know which it is. I hate selling used. If you find a leftover '15 the deals are pretty strong right now.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:08 PM
n2umr
Senior User
Thanks for all the opinions. NO CEL light has come on yet. I know the codes because I have an OBDII bluetooth adapter and I monitor it on my phone. How I noticed was the truck went into limp mode and it is real easy to tell when you have no power. So I scanned it and it had pending codes, not anything that would turn the light on yet. WHen this happens all I do is stop and start the engine again and the pending code goes away.

Tom, I have similar feelings as well about trading a problem but then when I think of the money these dealers make on ripping people off, I change my mind real quick, let them deal with it.

I was actually going to wait for the 2017 with the new tranny but if I find a '16 that I like I may go for it. Its hard finding a Lariat Screw 4x4 with a 6.5 box and ecoboost. This is my first problem with this engine and truck since I purchased it in June of 2011, it's been a great truck but I also like getting new things!!!

I'll keep all the above in mind as I ponder what to do next.

Mark

Old 01-21-2016, 07:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by n2umr
Thanks for all the opinions. NO CEL light has come on yet. I know the codes because I have an OBDII bluetooth adapter and I monitor it on my phone. How I noticed was the truck went into limp mode and it is real easy to tell when you have no power. So I scanned it and it had pending codes, not anything that would turn the light on yet. WHen this happens all I do is stop and start the engine again and the pending code goes away.
I'm not completely certain, but I believe a limp mode and pending code would be sufficient to get this taken care of under your emissions warranty. I'd suggest getting it into your dealer when you get the chance, you might be surprised.

Perhaps Crystal can help. Paging @FordService.

I was actually going to wait for the 2017 with the new tranny but if I find a '16 that I like I may go for it. Its hard finding a Lariat Screw 4x4 with a 6.5 box and ecoboost. This is my first problem with this engine and truck since I purchased it in June of 2011, it's been a great truck but I also like getting new things!!!

I'll keep all the above in mind as I ponder what to do next.
I'm the same about getting new vehicles, it's kind of a sickness. I'd love to have a truck with the 10-speed auto, but the 6R80 is about as rock solid as they come. I'd like to think the new transmission will be just as reliable, but of course time will tell. I would still buy a first model-year 10-speed truck, but I probably wouldn't use that as a reason to wait.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 AM
foozlemonster
Senior User
I feel your pain. Mine is a 5.0, not an eco, but it has an issue that is hopefully going to be resolved under warranty, but this still leaves me with the question of do I keep it or try something new afterward. I will probable fix it and then ride it out until I see whether or not the 10-speed will be available in '17. I know my situation is a little different, but my point is, if in fact they are coming out with the 10-spped across the board in '17, that should be announced soon, and then you're looking at only about a year before they hit the lot.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My dad bought a car used....(His first car).... and he had trouble with it. he traded it off and bought a brand new car.......He never did buy a used car again. If I had a truck that is having problems and I don't want to deal with it, Id trade it off. when you buy used, its a risk you take. but the guy that trades it off isn't screwing anyone, its the dealers problem. Now if he knowingly sells the truck to someone, and doesn't disclose the problem, that's a whole another thing.

Quick Reply: To Fix or not to fix, that is the question..