1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Which one would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 PM
modeltee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one would you choose?

I bought my truck twenty years ago last month. 1996 F250 XLT super cab 4wd PSD. It was a stretch financially to purchase it but I told my wife if we could somehow get the truck that I would drive it for twenty years. I'm still driving it and it is a great vehicle. I would like to get another Powerstroke but a new one is totally out of the equation. I am keeping the 96. Looking to spend 20k to 25k. Been doing a lot of reading, (a ton of it on this site, appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge) and the choices in my price range are another 7.3 or a 6.0 and a few 6.4's. Since the 7.3 has been my ride for some time it's down to the 6.0 or 6.4. Would like to get a crew cab this time. I've read good and bad about the 6.0 and mostly decent comments about the 6.4. I know they are both great engines but what are the advantages of one over the other. I know this is the 7.3 section but I'm confident you guys have knowledgeable info on this. Appreciate your help.

Don

Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Do you own a model t ford?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:34 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I know I will get crucified, but if I didn't have my trustworthy 7.3. I would either buy a late model 7.3 or get a Duramax. The 6.0 can be "bulletproofed" but they are still somewhat touchy after that. I don't have a 6.4 but the guys I know don't have raving reviews on them. And repairs can be somewhat daunting unless you enjoy pulling a cab off.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:20 AM
modeltee
New User
Originally Posted by fordman67
Do you own a model t ford?
Well, kind of. I had one before I knew it. My middle initial is T and last name is, yeah you guessed it, Ford. Been ragged all my life about being a model T ford.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:24 AM
modeltee
New User
Originally Posted by 97-psd
I know I will get crucified, but if I didn't have my trustworthy 7.3. I would either buy a late model 7.3 or get a Duramax. The 6.0 can be "bulletproofed" but they are still somewhat touchy after that. I don't have a 6.4 but the guys I know don't have raving reviews on them. And repairs can be somewhat daunting unless you enjoy pulling a cab off.
The thought has crossed my mind a time or two about the duramax. I have buddies who have them and they love their duramax's. I'm guessing if the 6.0 has been bullet proofed it would be the better of the two compared to the 6.4?

Old 01-20-2016, 06:21 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Dang, I had hoped for a "T" lover of a different kind lol

If it were me I would do a dura max. After the 7.3 I have little faith. My buddy has an 04 and we thrashed it when I worked for him. I maintained it and it never let us down.
Otherwise if a ford I would do a 6.4

Old 01-20-2016, 12:36 PM
modeltee
New User
Originally Posted by fordman67
Dang, I had hoped for a "T" lover of a different kind lol

If it were me I would do a dura max. After the 7.3 I have little faith. My buddy has an 04 and we thrashed it when I worked for him. I maintained it and it never let us down.
Otherwise if a ford I would do a 6.4
One of the guys I work with has an 04. He likes the truck, pulls a fifth wheel and says so far no problems. Not sure of the milage. According to him the 6.0 was a work in progress in which Ford worked at improving the engine during its production years. He believes the later models like 06 or 07 are the ones to get if you want a 6.0. Seems like there's good and bad on most anything. I'll dig a little deeper into the 6.4 and see how I like it. I gotta agree with you, the 7.3 is good one to have. I don't plan on getting rid of mine. Appreciate the info. I'm not in a big hurry but just kind of narrowing down the field so if a deal does come up I won't miss out on it.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My comment is why would you consider a 6.0 over a 6.4? Its a no brainer IMO 6.4 long before a 6.0. Motor, suspension, etc. That being said I would also be partial to an LLY and early model LBZ with a 6 Speed. They are pretty darn reliable too.

I will get griped at for this, but one of the only good things GM did after they took all that tax payer money was not get into the HP and TQ war Dodge and FORD did. The LLY motors are extremely durable. However their LBZ DEF tank tank is placed in the worst possible area out of the 3 :-)

Best of luck on the choice. My vote is 6.4. Just be ready for fairly expensive repairs on any of them when compared to a 7.3. Choose one for what you are going to sit in for the next 20 years too. Those old cummins were great motors but I would never buy one because how crappy the ride was and it felt like my spleen and back were infected after riding in those seats :-)

Old 01-20-2016, 03:59 PM
modeltee
New User
Originally Posted by nossliw
My comment is why would you consider a 6.0 over a 6.4? Its a no brainer IMO 6.4 long before a 6.0. Motor, suspension, etc. That being said I would also be partial to an LLY and early model LBZ with a 6 Speed. They are pretty darn reliable too.

I will get griped at for this, but one of the only good things GM did after they took all that tax payer money was not get into the HP and TQ war Dodge and FORD did. The LLY motors are extremely durable. However their LBZ DEF tank tank is placed in the worst possible area out of the 3 :-)

Best of luck on the choice. My vote is 6.4. Just be ready for fairly expensive repairs on any of them when compared to a 7.3. Choose one for what you are going to sit in for the next 20 years too. Those old cummins were great motors but I would never buy one because how crappy the ride was and it felt like my spleen and back were infected after riding in those seats :-)
Appreciate the input nossliw. I'm still looking at some of the things you mentioned. Just trying to make an educated guess as to which one would outlast the other. With the regular routine maintenance they both may be so close it's a toss up. Fuel milage is another. I've got a enclosed trailer I pull a couple of times a month. Anywhere from a 100 mile round trip to a thousand mile trip. Like most people, I hate big repair bills. I got reamed pretty good on my 7.3 and it was a simple fix. I quickly learned how to do a lot of my own repairs. The costs to keep the truck up is another and also the last thing you pointed out, the ride. I love my truck but the ride is really rough. Wish I could afford a new one but that ain't gonna happen. I keep saying that I will try something beside the powerstroke but I doubt that will happen. Still pondering about this. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:03 PM
AZFX4
Senior User
What is there to ponder? The 6.0 is a pile of $#!*

Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 PM
lpzd
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
lbz doesn't have def. gm didnt get that till LML in 2011.
have co worker that spent about 5k fortifying his 6.0 but now seems to run really well, brother has 06 LBZ no problems so far. really comes down to individual truck you are looking at " maintenance is forever" .

Old 01-20-2016, 04:39 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I'd look at an 02/03 7.3 before any of the other trucks mentioned. There are a lot of nicely packaged trucks in those years. Also like you mentioned, the 6.0 is definitely better in the later years. I wouldn't be afraid to own one, but I'd bulletproof it before I even drove it. My brother in law has a 6.4, nice truck and lots of power, but mileage isn't real good. I'd never own a chebby, nuff said about that.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:04 PM
dieselhead1052
Senior User
My dad owns a late 6.0 that i've driven plenty of times, i really like it and so does he. If i ever lost my OBS i'd shoot for another one. If i had to choose a non Ford i'd go Cummins Mega Cab.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:18 PM
1bigjoe
Senior User
KEEP THE ONE YOU HAVE-- spend the money take your wife on vacation

Old 01-20-2016, 06:41 PM
modeltee
New User
Originally Posted by 1bigjoe
KEEP THE ONE YOU HAVE-- spend the money take your wife on vacation
Lol!!! I think you have been talking to my wife. What she said.

Quick Reply: Which one would you choose?