General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

GLENN FREY...RIP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The only classic rocker that I'm saddened that I'll never be able to see is Bob Segar and his Silver Bullet band.

I'm addicted to the music that comes through the radio, live performances no matter the genre rarely do that. Reba McIntyre and Brooks & Dunn are two performances that come to mind that met my likes.

I'd never pay huge $$$ to see anyone play live. I have the their albums.
Interesting---and takes me back to the mid-60's............Bob was just a Michigan guy with a band who played very often in my home town of Columbus, OH---could see him along with no less than 3 other local bands for $1.25, dear money back then to teenagers.

Mid 70's he was still plugging away, playing still in and around Columbus--this time for more like $2.50 cover charge at a very popular campus area bar. After so many years he finally broke through and became the well known and greatly respected musician of today. One of my friends played with Bob's road band for many years, he himself being in a regionally popular band for quite a few years.

Any great band that actually plays instruments can pretty much blow your face off in a live concert---sadly just about the only way that can be captured or experienced is having seen them live in concert. Having seen various incarnations of The Eagles listening to their studio recordings took on a whole new sense of appreciation for them as being great musicians both in the studio AND able to play it all on a live stage too.

I remember seeing the country artist Neil McCoy when he was fairly popular, a lot of songs on the radio. His music wasn't the type I typically like but seeing him live was very entertaining, nothing like I'd ever seen before. Never bought any recordings of his BUT would have gone to see him had he ever come around again.

One thing I share with these uber-popular musicians is the understanding of what its like having an audience appreciate your performance, showing you much love immediately even if it's only for the moment. That's truly addicting, no drug in this world even closely able to replicate that rush.

Just waxing on about remembering Glenn, Bob and about a million other musicians we all love today.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:26 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Just updating this to share an interesting YouTube video interview about The Eagles, sadly its missing any mention of Don Felder.

20 minutes long but still a good story........here 'tis: