Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Disappointed with 2015 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
To the OP, one other option is using your phone for navigation and music. I use Waze and downloaded MP3s and it gives me voice navigation and I just prop my screen somewhere I can see it. Factory nav is nice, but not on it's nicest day do I think it's worth $800
I have used plain old google maps when I need navigation. The little woman inside has a nice voice and all, but I'm happy with just the map display. I clip it to a little holder that clips onto one of the vanes of the upper vent. With the phone placed up there, it gets a solid GPS signal, and works better than any built-in nav that I've ever seen or used. Plus it's free (not counting all the data that google downloads from it).

Old 01-18-2016, 05:47 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Haha, I have a Robot! And yeah, it does require data reception.
Like the one from this article? I could go with that.
Steel Cleatus Kicked Out of Built Ford Tough FOX Sports Locker Room - Ford-Trucks.com

Old 01-18-2016, 05:51 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
I have used plain old google maps when I need navigation. The little woman inside has a nice voice and all, but I'm happy with just the map display. I clip it to a little holder that clips onto one of the vanes of the upper vent. With the phone placed up there, it gets a solid GPS signal, and works better than any built-in nav that I've ever seen or used. Plus it's free (not counting all the data that google downloads from it).
I think Google Maps and Waze are both owned by Google. I use Google maps all the time when I travel because they have walking and public transportation options. I just got back from New York & used Google maps to get all over the city. When I'm driving my vehicle I like the display on the dash. It's right there easy to see and use. Too bad we can use the built-in display as our phone display kind of like how you can plug a monitor into your laptop.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Disappointed with 2015 F150

Originally Posted by Flienlow
That is actually a great fix. Reps sent.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:17 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
That is a nice solution. Thanks for posting.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 PM
shores
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 min and $800 gets your factory Nav. I did it in mine the week I got it. I too thought the 8" screen got the Nav. I was wrong and it was too late.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:32 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I've had several Garmins over the years and also purchased the lifetime maps. The issue I had with those maps is each update requires more memory. At some point you'll find yourself deleting map sections just so you can fit in what you mostly use into available memory. The lifetime maps were not that great of a deal.

him.
Same here
Does the fact that the one posted above has live traffic allow map updates to be downloaded without connecting to a computer?

Old 01-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Outdoors4life
Junior User
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
Same here
Does the fact that the one posted above has live traffic allow map updates to be downloaded without connecting to a computer?
No you still must connect to the computer to upload the new maps.

There is a sd card slot. I believe you can use that for extra memory.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:57 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
So this would work, if you have the 8 inch screen, but what if you don't. Is there a way to upgrade to that with out spending an arm and a leg?

Old 01-25-2016, 11:20 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
So this would work, if you have the 8 inch screen, but what if you don't. Is there a way to upgrade to that with out spending an arm and a leg?
I went into a car audio shop and they quoted me $2600 for an Alpine system with a 9" screen. Too rich for my blood. I also think replacing the screen along with the rest of the stuff with "OEM" stuff would be pricey.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
IIRC it's a $350 option from the 301a package. If you must have the factory system you would probably come out ahead trading for a truck that has it.

I like all the fancy touch-screen wizardry, but my 4.2" screen system does the job just fine.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Tom

I like all the fancy touch-screen wizardry, but my 4.2" screen system does the job just fine.
That's what I'm thinking. I have a back up camera and my phone GPS works well, as long as I'm also listening to my music via the bluetooth. Doesn't bother me, though, the girl-friend does get a little tired of Dwight, ***** and Chris when we are on road trips.

Last edited by Benztechnc; 01-25-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Edit Quote - remove text
Old 01-25-2016, 01:10 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tom
IIRC it's a $350 option from the 301a package. If you must have the factory system you would probably come out ahead trading for a truck that has it.

Likewise. The 4.2" screen is great compared to the ~~ 2.5" integrated into the rear view mirror on the 2012 Tacoma. Although it's a tough call, as the rear view mirror is closer to your face, so the smaller screen is somewhat easier to see (for me). It's what made me start looking at 6" and 7" after market displays.

I've talked to Metra, and they are putting together a after-market dash kit for the 2015/6 F-150.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:16 PM
elemint
Elder User
Being lost is the joy of the automotive era! Most great bar, restaurants, experiences in my life were the result of being "lost". Life directs you NOT tech.

Originally Posted by Don Morgan
I guess it's somehow my fault, but when I picked up my new truck from the dealer, it didn't have GPS navigation that I had specifically asked for. Now I'm told that I can't even exchange it for another system. My beef is that I now have a system that I could care less for (sync, satellite radio, etc) and I'm driving around lost. Ford needs to get back to the old customer satisfaction theory and make it where we can simply exchange or upgrade components. Especially since we have to spend so much.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Was fooling around on the ford Owners site, and came across they Sent to SYNC Service. Has anyone used this? Does anyone know which systems this works with. When selecting with system I have, it looks like the 4.2 in screen is an available option. Of course, I don't know the rest of my information for my truck. I supposed I could go look it up. It basicly looks like it's 6 steps, and you don't need to have navigation for it to work.
1. Use Mapquest
2. Select Send > Car > include the active mobile phone number in you SYNC owner account
3. Use voice activation and say 'services' (i'm sure it won't like my accent).
4. Say Yes when it asks you if you want directions to your previously selected destination. (see item 3 when it comes to understanding).
5. Drive with turn by turn navigation.

It would be pretty cool if it works just like that, with all head units, even the base model head unit.. I haven't tried it yet...

Quick Reply: Disappointed with 2015 F150