Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Windshield Washer Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:45 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GTT78
I have had a 2016 f150 for 1 month. It was -15 degrees last night here in South Dakota and -35 below windchill. My truck had to sit outside. Started it up and it warmed for about 5 minutes and I had no trouble with the washer fluid. This is the fluid the truck came with. Sprayed out like it was 70 degrees.
Remember windchill means nothing to washer fluid in the tank and hoses other than how fast it gets down to the actual temperature. Until, you spray it on that cold windshield with the air blowing over it and you get the evaporation chill effect kicking in!
I still think that the not spraying problem is rain getting into the nozzle and freezing.
But good to know that the stock stuff is good down to -15F. But I prefer the -45F stuff.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Outdoors4life
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know that -15 it was still good. I have not put in new fluid yet in mine.

A few years ago my brother in law had his car serviced right before winter and they added plain water in his tank and it froze up solid. I added a container of rubbing alcohol and we got it thawed out and emptied his tank. IN a pinch that worked out well.

I am going to head out soon and add some new washer fluid. 10 below or so here.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 AM
R3lyc
New User
Originally Posted by rch101us
New 2015 F-150 with 3.5 Eco boost. I'm in Southeast Wisconsin. 9 degrees today. I got rid of my standard -20 fluid and replaced it with -35. Keeps freezing up. I went to the dealer and it warmed up in the shop and began working. Within two blocks from the dealer it was froze again. Anyone else haring a problem here.

Never had this before and in mush colder temps here. Dealer is swamped. Told me to call in the morning and maybe they can order new nozzles...
I have the exact same issue, I'm in northern Alberta, we hit -33c the other day and all winter I have been struggling with the sprayers. All I use is washer fluid rated for -45c. It started off freezing up a little bit, and lock de-icer on nipple would get them working again. The issue progressively got worse as the weather got colder. I went to the dealer, they tested the pump and it was working well. They took a compressor to the washer line and blew the lines out. The sprayer worked well again. On the 10 minute drive home the sprayer froze again. I went to the nearest car wash and repeated the procedure from the dealer. Only this time I put alcohol in the compressor line. After 15 minutes of blasting I got the sprayers clear. I went back to the dealer, they looked at it and said they will put a new sprayer assembly on. Today it is much warmer out, only -13c the sprayers were working earlier today. The truck sat at home for 3 hours and now it is frozen again as I write this. Again I assure everyone, I am using winter washer fluid rated to -45c, there is no water in the line, the reservoir was run dry then refilled to be sure. I have never in my life had this issue before with any vehicles. I also had a talk with the gas station owner, he said they go through 7 pallets of the stuff in a month. There is no chance that these bottles were sitting long enough for the alcohol to evaporate in the bottles, furthermore I have used multiple brands from different locations, all with the same result. The weakest rated fluid I have used is -35c fluid but for the most part it has been -45 or better.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Mine weren't working today, tried pouring hot water on nozzles and this didn't help. Pump is running. Sounds like the check valve problem everyone is having.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:14 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I hate the cold.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:16 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I hate the cold.
LOL! I scoffed at the cold wimps here in California when I first moved out here from Minnesota... now 45 years ago...

I still tolerate the cold better than most, but I'm not as macho about it any more.

Based on what others have been observing, I think that the windshield washer fluid is not freezing, but there is something, probably frozen precip, that is clogging the spray nozzles.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:24 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
LOL! I scoffed at the cold wimps here in California when I first moved out here from Minnesota... now 45 years ago...

I still tolerate the cold better than most, but I'm not as macho about it any more.

Based on what others have been observing, I think that the windshield washer fluid is not freezing, but there is something, probably frozen precip, that is clogging the spray nozzles.
That was my thinking also.. Till I proved today that that's not what is going on.

It's cold 20F but sunny no rain today.. I poured hot water on the nozzles and cowling and hose. They started working again. When out a hour later to check if the front camera washer was working it was but the windshield washers went from a very low stream to nothing while I was checking.. They stopped working while they were working no way rain water got into them.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:49 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Wow. Maybe some gunk in the lines/reservoir or something like that? I would think that the -35 or -45 fluid would be good to go.

I don't understand...

Old 01-19-2016, 04:02 PM
R3lyc
New User
Originally Posted by rmccbride
That was my thinking also.. Till I proved today that that's not what is going on.

It's cold 20F but sunny no rain today.. I poured hot water on the nozzles and cowling and hose. They started working again. When out a hour later to check if the front camera washer was working it was but the windshield washers went from a very low stream to nothing while I was checking.. They stopped working while they were working no way rain water got into them.
When I was at the dealer today to replace the lines, the mechanic noticed there is a small plastic regulator of some sort on the washer hose, on the passenger side under the cowl. He said it was stuck closed and he couldn't even get compressed air to flow through it. After they changed the lines out I have full pressure again. If it happens again you folks will be first to hear me vent...

Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
I took a sample of fluid and put in my -6F freezer overnight and it did not freeze. But washer doesn't work at 20F.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
A few years stationed in Hawaii... landed at Sea-Tac airport in January, it was 45F, it felt REALLY rude.. WTF?

Picked up my car and drove cross country thru Wash. Idaho, Montana etc. Froze my *** off the whole way. It takes something out of ya for sure.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:35 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rmccbride
I took a sample of fluid and put in my -6F freezer overnight and it did not freeze. But washer doesn't work at 20F.
Guess it must be the wind chill?!?!

Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
add me to the list, froze up on me twice now

Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
add me to the list, froze up on me twice now
Now we need to add you to the list of those that have bypassed or drilled out the black valve under the cowl.

Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Iowna Ford
New User
Hello. First post.

Hi. I found your group through a search. This is my first post.

This problem, of the freezing nozzles, has been killing me!!! I can not get to the bottom of it!!!

The service manager, at my dealer, even swapped the entire nozzle assembly, from his own truck, into mine. They had been working perfectly, in his truck. Now, they freeze in my truck!

The dealer has no idea what to do next. We have gone through everything that has been stated in this thread. They just freeze, as soon as we thaw them.

This is insane!

Sorry for the rant. Looking for any help I can get.

It's a 2015 F150 s-crew, short box, Lariat, 5.0. Bone stock.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Freeze