1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trucks Seem Flimsier These Days

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 PM
regularalex
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Trucks Seem Flimsier These Days

Hey guys,

I just got a 2016 F-250 to replace my 2002 GMC Sierra pickup truck.

Although the Ford seemed the most rugged of all the trucks I drove (and ultimately why I bought it), all of them seemed to be so much flimsier then trucks from previous years.

I can poke the side of my new truck with my finger and the entire panel will buckle in. The ***** and buttons on the instrument panel feel like they weigh a fraction of an ounce. The plastic on the door panels and glove box feels like it's 1/16 of an inch thick and hollow.

Don't get me wrong - there's a lot of things I really love about the new truck.... I just don't understand why it's so damn fragile.

Is it just me?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Homerunking2394
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree certain things are flimsy, however the super duty still has heavy doors which give it a truck feel when you close them, strong beds, frames, etc. I'm sure the rams and chevys are even flimsier!!!

Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
You should crawl underneath and tell us if the frame, axles, and driveline appear flimsy.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I reckon the weight went where it matters, for the most part. That said, my 96 bronco is the newest vehicle I will ever own.

I feel like the stuff that matters will be in for the long haul, but I fear that the things you are constantly in contact with (buttons, door handles, glovebox door) will wear out and break down prematurely.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:31 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
government mandate... better gas/fuel mileage... lighter offers better mileage...

why do you think Ford is making the new F 150 body from aluminum.
that alone made it 700 pounds lighter..

still better than Plastic body panels... my opinion. that is NEXT. WAIT...

Old 01-12-2016, 07:58 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by regularalex
Hey guys,

I just got a 2016 F-250 to replace my 2002 GMC Sierra pickup truck.

Although the Ford seemed the most rugged of all the trucks I drove (and ultimately why I bought it), all of them seemed to be so much flimsier then trucks from previous years.

I can poke the side of my new truck with my finger and the entire panel will buckle in. The ***** and buttons on the instrument panel feel like they weigh a fraction of an ounce. The plastic on the door panels and glove box feels like it's 1/16 of an inch thick and hollow.

Don't get me wrong - there's a lot of things I really love about the new truck.... I just don't understand why it's so damn fragile.

Is it just me?
I remember when trucks didn't have seat belts and the dash was made of metal.
There weren't any buttons back then. Everything was a switch, or ****. Well, if you had one of those fancy AM radios, it would have a row of big black plastic buttons across the bottom that you could set to your favorite station.
I also remember things breaking pretty easily - window cranks - these broke so easily that spares were on spinning wire rack displays in the parts store. The PRNDL indicator was actually controlled by a string! Can you imagine? Same with the radio dial. I also remember vacuum operated windshield wipers. Now there's something I don't miss!
Breathers - I had one truck that had a metal breather and mesh filter element. I had to fill the breather with oil. Today's breather is plastic and uses a disposable paper filter. I much prefer the new style, myself.
I think if a person tries, they can break anything. I've known people that could screw up a ball bearing. But, when I look at my truck today, and compare it to what I grew up with. I can't see anything that isn't better in some way.
Tailgates - remember the single layer pressed steel with a rolled edge? You had to use hooks on chains to keep it closed. Walk on one of those a few times and it would be all bent before you knew it. Today's tailgates are strong platforms with steps and handles built in.
Now I'm stuck on memory lane...

I remember one time I went to turn on the headlights. You had to pull this chrome **** out two clicks - it came out of the switch in my hand...

Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM
NotURMailman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The frames are heavier and they made the panels out of thinner metal to gain the weight back. But, they are just as strong over all due to their shape. If you think your interior treatments seem cheaply made, go drive a new Chevy truck, you'll feel much better about your Ford.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
You had one if them fancy automatic transmissions? My first truck had 3 on the tree, with an unsynchronized first gear.

The only factory option was the cigar lighter. Had a $10 AM radio bolted under the dash.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I think the newer sheet metal is more dent prone. I remember being able to crawl on the room of my dad's '81 F150 and it didn't even phase it. last truck I tried that on was my '97 F150 and I left dents where ever my knees were.

I actually think having composite panels would be nice. Make the outer box sides, door skins, and front quarter panels out of the same type of plastic they made the flare side boxes out of and you'd eliminate most of the rust issues. Durability really wouldn't be an issue since these areas are only stressed in an accident, which extra reinforcement behind the panels would solve.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:38 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
I actually think having composite panels would be nice. Make the outer box sides, door skins, and front quarter panels out of the same type of plastic they made the flare side boxes out of and you'd eliminate most of the rust issues. Durability really wouldn't be an issue since these areas are only stressed in an accident, which extra reinforcement behind the panels would solve.
You speak blasphemy. There's no way there are millions of heavy-duty trucks on the road with fiberglass and aluminum body panels that work hard every day and don't fall apart when you look at them sideways. REAL trucks are always made of steel, and steel so heavy you can hit it with a baseball bat and it won't dent. Those are real MAN trucks

I can hear it now. "This fiberglass SUCKS! I backed into a light in a parking lot and the stupid body panel just cracked! Why won't FERD build a tought enough truck that I can use it like a demo derby car!"

(don't slip in the giant puddle of sarcasm people)

Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Henry Ford had an idea for the majority of the car to be able to be built from renewable resources in the 1920's.

He worked with chemists, and we're able to make panels from Hemp.
Yes I am aware of the jokes that come with this, but the science is proven, Hemp products, are stronger, and lighter, than comparable steel, and plastics.

I have seen panels made from hemp fiber, and a material that is similar to fibreglass resin.
Light , extremely stuff.

Now the problem, the people running this Corporate country of our, is this would cut into the profits of big oil and others, same as it did in the 30's with Randolf Hurst and his paper made from trees.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The frame and bed are all that really matter to me. I honestly couldn't care less what the cab and hood are, or for that matter, the style sides. That being said, the new Al panels next year are thicker and less prone to denting. I'm sure in 20 years when we've made the process "better" for thinner panels we'll hearken back to these days of thin wall steel and thick Al panels! Just don't use the side of your truck to swing 2x4s into and you should be alright!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ashleyroachclip

Now the problem, the people running this Corporate country of our, is this would cut into the profits of big oil and others, same as it did in the 30's with Randolf Hurst and his paper made from trees.
HA ha, you're suggesting that a revoluationary material wasn't developed because it would eat into the profits of a completely separate industry? You should put your tinfoil hat back on.

NOTHING is off the table, particularly in the days of ever tightening CAFE regulations. I don't recall hearing of Big Oil going bankrupt with the new aluminum trucks that are coming out. Aluminum is expen$ive, if it could be done better with something else you can bet they would.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:11 AM
mikereidjr
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know here in the salt belt my pop says and my grandpa used to say how things gotten much better as far as cars and trucks go.

They used to own a service station and they always talked about the need for tuneups, points needing to be changed, having to pull up on the doors to get them closed after about 50,000 miles.

Chokes, they could go on for hours about the chokes esp if it was cold. Telling us how we just dont get it.

My Pop has an 06 F150 with over 163,000mi on it and he just had all the rust fixed on it because he loves the truck. He said when he was younger keeping a car this long and with this many miles was very rare.

Something must be good with these things.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:25 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
You had one if them fancy automatic transmissions? My first truck had 3 on the tree, with an unsynchronized first gear.

The only factory option was the cigar lighter. Had a $10 AM radio bolted under the dash.
Yep, I was spoiled, no doubt!
Now, my first car had three on the tree, but first was synchronized. I probably would have ground it down to a spindle if it had been unsynchronized!

Quick Reply: Trucks Seem Flimsier These Days