Sponsored by:

Nothing Special’s guide to differentials

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
I'll admit I skimmed most of it but it's a good read. I didn't see any mention of of a shotgun sound when ones engaged lol pucker effect goes up real quick
I did mention that the G80 / Gov Loc / MLocker doesn't seem to have the greatest reputation for strength! But for the most part I tried to stay away from too much about and brand X vs. brand Y debates.

Although I guess I could have included that any locker is more likely to break an axle shaft than a limited slip, which is more likely than an open diff. A locker will put all of the torque the tire with the most traction can carry through the axle shaft. Open diffs (and to a slightly lesser extent limited slips) are limited by the tire with the least traction.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
This is good info! Reps for this!
With my truck, as you explained engaging seriously sounds like someone fired off a shotgun from under it. It scares the hell out of anyone walking down the sidewalk when I turn. It takes some getting used to and once you change driving habbits while turning it's quiet. As far as I'm concerned it's the only way to go. I'm not sure exactly what kind of locker it is though as it was put in before I bought the truck

Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Not sure what that noise is about. The Detroit in my CJ5 would sometimes slip one tooth if it hadn't quite engaged when I got on the power. It only happened when hitting the gas pretty hard just as it was finishing a turn. But even that was nothing like a shotgun. All it ever drew from anyone else in the Jeep was a curious "what was that?", never any alarm. And I've never noticed even that from the Lock Right in my F-150 or the Detroit I now have in my Bronco.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:36 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
As for auto lockers making noise, it has a lot to do with the type of trans the vehicle has too... I've found a full locker, being a Detroit, Aussie, or lock right, they all make more noise on street driven vehicles with a manual trans..

Old 01-17-2016, 01:00 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
All I can say is what I know for sure. My trans is an auto fully built with billet everything. I'm not sure what it has other than a locker. Since its not even a Ford I don't expect anyone else here to know either

Old 03-31-2016, 09:56 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great read, and a choice I need to make here coming up for the 9" in the back of my F100.

So, for a street truck, I don't see a choice as in this is first, this is 2nd, etc.

The choices are:
> Open
> Clutch-type LS
> Detroit/Automatic LS
> Selectable
> Gear type LS

If I read it right, you're saying open would be 1, and for the street, the gear type would be 2nd?

I was hoping to pick up a good used or rebuilt 3rd member in the ratio I want, so for a LS that would most likely mean a clutch type.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:04 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
G80 (aka Gov-Loc aka Eaton MLocker)
(edit: after a little more digging I found that G80 is the GM order code for this diff, Gov-Loc is the informal name they are often called by, and MLocker is what the manufacturer, Eaton, calls it.)

I don’t know a lot about G80 diffs either, so take this for what it’s worth. I know they are made by Eaton, and as far as I know were only available in GM vehicles from the factory and are only available for GM axles. They work like an open diff most of the time, freely allowing one tire to go slower and the other to go faster so you can corner with no tendency to scuff tires. But when the speed differential between the two sides gets too high a centrifugal governor engages some type of clutch to lock the two sides together.

This could be the best of all worlds, but I’ve heard that they are prone to breaking. That, along with my understanding that they’re only available for GM axles, make me less interested in them. So sorry that I don’t have more info on them. And again, I only know what I’ve read about them, so take this for what it’s worth.
From my experience with a former employers GM truck the G80 can be interesting in the snow, at slow speeds when a tire starts spinning it will engage with enough force to break the tire that has traction free and is easy to spin the truck around. At freeway speeds it is somewhat less noticeable but can still be a problem.

Excellent write up on the differences in differential options!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fljab
Great read, and a choice I need to make here coming up for the 9" in the back of my F100.

So, for a street truck, I don't see a choice as in this is first, this is 2nd, etc.

The choices are:
> Open
> Clutch-type LS
> Detroit/Automatic LS
> Selectable
> Gear type LS

If I read it right, you're saying open would be 1, and for the street, the gear type would be 2nd?

I was hoping to pick up a good used or rebuilt 3rd member in the ratio I want, so for a LS that would most likely mean a clutch type.
There are a lot of different personal preferences, and I'd never presume to say that my opinions outweigh anyone else's. But yes, for street use I think an open diff is generally all you need and it gives the best stability and the least annoying quirks. If you need better traction than that, a gear-type limited slip would be my first choice for primarily street use. I don't like clutch-types in snow (which I have to deal with), so that puts them out of my consideration (this is one place where I know others disagree with me).

I could add that I've had automatic lockers in three different vehicles and personally I don't mind the on-road quirks since I do value the performance. But the quirks are significant, so I can't really recommend them for primarily street use (but I wouldn't suggest you completely shy away from them either).

Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by twigsV10
From my experience with a former employers GM truck the G80 can be interesting in the snow, at slow speeds when a tire starts spinning it will engage with enough force to break the tire that has traction free and is easy to spin the truck around. At freeway speeds it is somewhat less noticeable but can still be a problem.

Excellent write up on the differences in differential options!
Good to hear some more direct experience with the G80.

And thanks!

Old 05-01-2016, 03:36 PM
ExplorerTominCO
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Trutracs in front and back of my SAS'd Explorer. For the type of 4wheeling I do, these diffs work great 95% of the time. The only time they don't work very well is if I get stopped with one tire nearly unloaded with weight (it flexes so well that I've never had a tire off the ground)- as soon as try to get moving again, all the power is transferred to that unloaded tire. But usually I can back up slightly, left foot brake as I apply throttle to go forward and it'll send power to both wheels.

And in REALLY deep snow it's easy to get into situations where only one spins- again left foot braking usually helps.

The rest of the time, going up steep inclines with lose rocks, I climb it the first time with almost zero wheel spin. It's nice and steady.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
That sounds like what I would expect from a True Trac. As I said, I haven't driven one, so it's good to get some real-world perspective.

Have you ever driven in in 4WD on a snowy freeway with the front True Trac? People say the True Trac has good manners in the front, but personally I'm afraid of the torque steer in lane changes like I experienced with a Lock Right. I know the True Trac would be less violent, but I still think it would be dangerous.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:17 PM
ExplorerTominCO
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure that I have actually. It spends most of its time in the garage. It doesn't get driven on the street in the snow much.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Rickyrobert
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JOHN2001
This is good info! Reps for this!
ditto on the reps

Old 06-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
That sounds like what I would expect from a True Trac. As I said, I haven't driven one, so it's good to get some real-world perspective.

Have you ever driven in in 4WD on a snowy freeway with the front True Trac? People say the True Trac has good manners in the front, but personally I'm afraid of the torque steer in lane changes like I experienced with a Lock Right. I know the True Trac would be less violent, but I still think it would be dangerous.
I can't say anything about a True Track in the front. I did have a Traction Lock LSD up front and a lunch box in the rear of my 84 F150. On snowy/icy roads locked in 4wd it was a handful. The understeer was horrible no matter how wide or narrow you took a turn. It always wanted to go straight, in bad road conditions it would pull you around. I had 33" mud tires on it, which did not help at all they were terrible in snow. But you get off into some unplowed areas or off road, that truck was unstoppable!

Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 PM
JetskiMark
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for all of the excellent information and for your opinions.

Quick Reply: Nothing Special’s guide to differentials