Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mouse problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Mouse problem

I store my 94 Lightning basically since I have bought it 10 years ago.
Well I just went to move it out of the barn and I have 4 nests(one on passenger floor, 2 on the engine and one in the bed)

I have never had a mouse problem before. I have very good luck with dryer sheets spread around the truck(I did not change them this year)

Suggestions? I have heard moth *****, dryer sheets, peppermint oil.

I also just ordered one of those wind up resetting mouse boxes that I can empty once a week.

How they hell did they get in the cab?!?!? The fresh air bled door closes when no vacuum is there, correct?

Old 01-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Gunnerboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For keeping mice away i always used a 5gal bucket with 2gal of water in it.. Than got a stiff metal wire and put a beer can on the middle of the wire and had peanut butter on that can then you just add a board for them to walk up they walk out on the wire spin on can and fall into the water. Its a very simple to set up and clean up trap.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
We've had good luck with D-Con in our boat. No way to keep them out of a boat, and the D-Con doesn't keep them from coming in. But they eat it and die before they have a chance to make much of a mess. The exception is that there ends up being a lot of crumbs and some mouse poop around the D-Con box, so we learned to put it on a piece of cardboard rather than right on the carpet.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:21 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Can't vouch for the results, but this is certainly one of the more creative methods I've heard about.

Friend has a Dodge Challenger he put into storage. Put the car up on jackstands, wheels off. Jackstands are set into baking trays which he then filled with oil. His reasoning is the mice won't cross the oil and the only way into the car from their perspective is up the jackstands, so he is safe.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Can't vouch for the results, but this is certainly one of the more creative methods I've heard about.

Friend has a Dodge Challenger he put into storage. Put the car up on jackstands, wheels off. Jackstands are set into baking trays which he then filled with oil. His reasoning is the mice won't cross the oil and the only way into the car from their perspective is up the jackstands, so he is safe.

Yeah. I have heard of the oil trick. But I dont have access to tools where the truck is parked so that idea is out(nor a set of extra jack stands)

Old 01-03-2016, 11:16 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
FWIW, Be aware that mice can and do jump short distances. Short distance, like to a tire or suspension component.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:27 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive got a couple cats you can have. I will pay shipping.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
I stored a 68 Mustang off & on for 20 years (till I sold it, miss that car...), I used moth ***** inside of car, trunk & engine compartment (n bathroom Dixie cups) and tossed some under car along with moth crystals. I also added the dryer sheets in the later years, worked when they existed.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gunnerboy
For keeping mice away i always used a 5gal bucket with 2gal of water in it.. Than got a stiff metal wire and put a beer can on the middle of the wire and had peanut butter on that can then you just add a board for them to walk up they walk out on the wire spin on can and fall into the water. Its a very simple to set up and clean up trap.
Used that one before! Works great! To that I might add...Pour some antifreeze in with the so it won't freeze. If you got kids or animals around use RV antifreeze.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
I forgot...RED CAB is a natural non-toxic repeller. It won't kill them just repel them. Used it in our camper for years. Any RV supply should have it and of coarse it's on line. They have a very nice pine scent. Use them with the 5 gal bucket idea!!!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bird-Dog 250
I forgot...RED CAB is a natural non-toxic repeller. It won't kill them just repel them. Used it in our camper for years. Any RV supply should have it and of coarse it's on line. They have a very nice pine scent. Use them with the 5 gal bucket idea!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Rodent-Repellent-Pouch-Ounce/dp/B0021LWPPY http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Rodent-Repellent-Pouch-Ounce/dp/B0021LWPPY

Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Bird-Dog 250
This the same as Fresh Cab or something different?

Old 01-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
Originally Posted by raytasch
This the same as Fresh Cab or something different?
Yeah...Fresh Cab. A senior moment

Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM
rvj
New User
Old 01-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Roger T. Pipe
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The end all-be all for ridding yourself of mouse problems are the electric traps that you can buy on Amazon, Tractor Supply, etc. They're called Rat Zapper. Cost is steep-maybe 35.00 or so, but they WILL work. This is a case of you truly get what you're paying for. Trust me, I've used everything you can imagine-moth ***** (hope YOU like the smell) Peppermint ***** (they ATE them!) Heavily-scented soap like Irish Spring (They ATE that for dessert) poison, which is ineffective, since they'll ingest it and go somewhere totally inaccessible to die, like behind the dash, in the heater plenum, etc. NOTHING worse than dead mouse smell & it lasts forever!
So try out those Rat Zappers...buy yourself some decent "AA" batteries, since you'll need to change them out after something like 25 kills.
Just remember one thing if you want to use moth ***** & the like-the outgassing of them is poisonous to HUMANS, too! Be careful here!

Roger

Quick Reply: Mouse problem