1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Urgent! Need help! no start missing oil!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:08 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Urgent! Need help! no start missing oil!

hey guys so i have a 2002 7.3l with 229k miles. so im having a big problem now missing oil! my reservoir is empty and my dip stick is reading low, and i just put 16 quarts in yesterday with the new filter! im having a long start issue obviously because i don't have any oil supply! just drove the truck today, ran great been having this issue for the past week. here are the details. i came up from Texas after installing joeys t500 pump, when i arrived to California there was oil everywhere! my pump that joey rebuilt had an issue so he sent me another and bam! runs great no probs, now after about to weeks and about 15 degree temp drop i get hard starting. first time instead of a 2 second start up it took 9 seconds, now it takes anywhere from 9-20 seconds to start! so after my drive today i let it sit for about 3 hours seeing if maybe i had air in the lines from the res not being full, well now i cant get a start at all my res is empty and my dipstick shows little oil, i just replaced the icp. ipr, and eot when i put the first pump in, could this be the lpop? really need all help here guys! thanks !

Old 12-31-2015, 05:18 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by justinlb917
hey guys so i have a 2002 7.3l with 229k miles. so im having a big problem now missing oil! my reservoir is empty and my dip stick is reading low, and i just put 16 quarts in yesterday with the new filter! im having a long start issue obviously because i don't have any oil supply! just drove the truck today, ran great been having this issue for the past week. here are the details. i came up from Texas after installing joeys t500 pump, when i arrived to California there was oil everywhere! my pump that joey rebuilt had an issue so he sent me another and bam! runs great no probs, now after about to weeks and about 15 degree temp drop i get hard starting. first time instead of a 2 second start up it took 9 seconds, now it takes anywhere from 9-20 seconds to start! so after my drive today i let it sit for about 3 hours seeing if maybe i had air in the lines from the res not being full, well now i cant get a start at all my res is empty and my dipstick shows little oil, i just replaced the icp. ipr, and eot when i put the first pump in, could this be the lpop? really need all help here guys! thanks !
If you changed the hpop high chance theres still air in the hpop system,as for low oil many things come to mind such as, oil leaks, injector o rings, turbo seals
But most likely the low oil is from refilling hpo rails and hpop reservoir.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
Originally Posted by z31freakify
If you changed the hpop high chance theres still air in the hpop system,as for low oil many things come to mind such as, oil leaks, injector o rings, turbo seals
But most likely the low oil is from refilling hpo rails and hpop reservoir.
ok thats where the mystery comes into play. no oil in my radiator fluid. no oil in my exhaust and the injector o rings i just replaced about 8 thousand miles ago and no issues. the oil vanished in one night. 16 quarts? and that's the second oil change since the second pump installation

Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 PM
SMT_FORD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinlb917
my reservoir is empty and my dip stick is reading low, !

There are only a few possibilities which would lend itself to no oil in the HPOP. Leaking, Back Flowing, or LPOP. This is the cause of your long starts as the HPOP needs to fill and, if it empties enough, air.

Top off the Oil. Some need 18 qts, some 15 qts. Don't know why. Many times my personal 250's will have an oil change and read low the following day.

The Manual says to replace the Valve in the Valley. I have never noticed that to be the problem. It usually is limited to either the reservoir or pump. On the other hand So CAL doesn't have a lot of cold start issues.

Get it running and warm. Say 150 F. Turn it off, remove the HPOP Reservoir Inspection Plug on top of the cover and check it to see if it leaks down over a couple hours or is it leaving the pump draining to the Valley.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:36 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
it drained out of the reservoir in about 3 hours, after being run on the highway for 35 mins or so. what valve in the valley? what i dont understand is why the oil isnt in the oil pan.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:08 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
i just went and bought a new lpop gonna see what that does!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
got the old pump out seems pretty dirty also why taking off the harmonic balancer there was oil that leaked out is that a sign that it was bad??

Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
If you are losing oil it is not the HPOP or LPOP. It is leaking from the engine somewhere, out the exhaust, or someone is draining it. Figure that out first then we can figure out why it is not holding in the HPOP res.

I just chased an issue with my truck not holding fluid on the HPOP res. The front seal on the HPOP had worked it self out and it was leaking from there. There are not really many places for it to go. If its not an internal leak it is either orings or the HPOP seal. I also replaced my LPOP chasing it, I upgraded to the melling lpop. I have a thread on here about my saga. I would post it but I am on my phone. Search for my threads or something about HPOP res leaking. It would be a good read for you. Think there are some good pics.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:00 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
i have no oil leaks. and nobody is stealing it lol unless they go through 3 rotties and a bulldog and gates, but there is no oil leak and im not getting any oil from the exhaust.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:11 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
If there you fill it w 16 quarts and then you dont have 16 quarts the next time you check it, then you have an external leak or it is going out the exhaust. That is just what it is. It doesn't just magically disappear. Lol

Old 12-31-2015, 10:14 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
ill pull my down pipe off and see if i see any if so isnt that the turbo leaking? i just rebuilt it 15k miles ago

Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
The truck must have at least 8qts in it, in order to build up enough pressure to open up the injectors so it can run.

What color does the smoke look like coming out of the tail pipe when running? Something may be allowing the truck to suck oil into the cylinders and burning it and sending it out the tail pipe.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:45 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
With that much oil Im starting to think that injector O rings were cut during install, and even at that, you sure you filled it? Maybe got confused and dumped it on the tranny fill tube?

Old 12-31-2015, 11:06 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
been working on diesels for a pretty good amount of time lol dont think im that dullXD yes 2 times 16 quarts, i installed all of the rings with extreme care, and would think i would get the problem when i installed them if not sooner right? this issue started happening about a week and a half after the new hpop, my exhaust is clean other then a small amount of black smoke now and then

Old 12-31-2015, 11:09 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Following to see what you find. I think all bases have been covered. If there is a leak it could be the HPOP lines or pump.

Quick Reply: Urgent! Need help! no start missing oil!