Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waters in the wiring channel on the passenger side..

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:21 PM
simonwim
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waters in the wiring channel on the passenger side..

So having had my truck for 2 months and it coming to VA from CA its probably never seen rain much, especially on the inside! well now it has.

I replaced the carpet a couple of weeks ago and remember it was dry as a bone on the floor and there was nothing but dry old dust on both sides.

I moved the rubber passenger mat the other day and noticed wetness underneath, i then find the carpet to be damp. I took the plastic door plate off and the front kick panel off and pulled the carpet back. There is evidence of water in the wiring channel and under the carpet on the passenger side.

There doesn't look to be any water stains or wetness on the front of the carpet where it goes up towards the front and underneath where the dash wiring etc is is bone dry. There looks to be most of the wetness at the bottom of the seat belt anchor.

Are there any known issues or problem areas where water can leak in on our trucks ?Ive spent an hour looking online and can only find details on 2004 F150's.

Crazy thing is, my 99 Explorer has EXACTLY the same issue! i fixed it by parking it in the garage all the time! unfortunately the F150 is 3" to long!

I'm thinking off taking the carpet out, putting the seat back in and driving it in rain and sitting out in it the next time we have a good downpour! Any help/ideas appreciated.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:32 PM
88XLTLariat
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On the passenger side firewall there are openings for your two heater core hoses. If the are not sealed properly, water could end up on the cab floor. Also, when heater cores go bad, they can leave a pool of coolant on the floor under the glove box.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:34 PM
88XLTLariat
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also, check the seals on your passenger door. Make sure they are not smashed and actually doing their job by sealing out any moisture.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:15 PM
simonwim
Junior User
Thanks, door seals are good all around, will check the openings tomorrow

Thanks again

Old 12-29-2015, 06:20 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My truck's lived in the South it's entire life. Actually it ain't ever lived outside of Florida but somehow the cowl managed to rust out and it would leak water thru the rust hole in the firewall during heavy rain. Of course this rusted out the floorboards on the driver's side. Might look for a rust hole in your cowl just on the off chance you have the same problem I did.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:22 PM
simonwim
Junior User
Originally Posted by dixie460
My truck's lived in the South it's entire life. Actually it ain't ever lived outside of Florida but somehow the cowl managed to rust out and it would leak water thru the rust hole in the firewall during heavy rain. Of course this rusted out the floorboards on the driver's side. Might look for a rust hole in your cowl just on the off chance you have the same problem I did.
thanks, will do

Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you find water back where the seatbelt mounts, closely check the caulk in the rain gutters over the door and the body seam from the top of the door opening to the rear window.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:29 PM
simonwim
Junior User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
If you find water back where the seatbelt mounts, closely check the caulk in the rain gutters over the door and the body seam from the top of the door opening to the rear window.
thanks will do

Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
My 88 was getting water in cab from the 3rd brake light/ bed light at back/top of cab. The gasket was gone on top letting rain in.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:55 AM
simonwim
Junior User
ok so i took the seat and the carpet out this morning. My truck is a standard cab with a piece of carpet also on the back of the inside of the truck. this appears to be dry.

Im pretty sure there must be "clues" in the picture of the carpet. Its on both sides of the truck but nothing at all is coming in from the front, under the dash and the carpet at the front is bone dry. i do park the truck on a slight incline, cab facing upwards.

It looks to me like water is coming in somewhere by the lower seat belt anchors so I'm thinking it may indeed be a seam on the top of the doors/drip rail. It does appear to be both side too! we have a dry weekend coming along so I'm gonna let everything dry out then hit it with the hose over the weekend in various places and watch what happens inside.

Water is all around the outside edge to the back and sides, as you can see. I'm presuming it sloshes up from the rear towards the front, hence the front edge gets wet. I was thinking maybe the 3rd brake light gasket as someone said above or the rear window/seal.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:53 AM
simonwim
Junior User
So i took all the plastic trim out of the cab today, ran the hose over certain parts and took a look inside the cab.

Looks like its the rear window seal on the passenger side, plus the sealer/caulking along the top corner at the end of the drip rail.

Am gonna let it dry out the next few days and have a look around for suitable sealant to put on it, anyone any ideas ?

Old 12-31-2015, 02:43 PM
jaagen
Senior User
Clear 100% silicon

Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

NEVER silicone!

It won't hold and paint will never stick.

I use a single component urethane but there are plenty of body sealant caulks available.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:16 PM
jaagen
Senior User
It's all about the prep. Exterior used three years running.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:23 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Whatever you say...

There's a paint and bodywork subforum here on FTE.
Plenty of full time body guys more than willing to share their passion.

Quick Reply: Waters in the wiring channel on the passenger side..