Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Superchip micro tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:38 PM
wagner63w
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip micro tuner

Hello I am looking into buying the 1715 superchip micro tuner has anyone put it on their v-10 if so was it worth it, what should i expect?? and will it read diagnostic codes?

thanks for the help

Old 08-08-2003, 07:17 AM
HD Power
Junior User
Superchip micro tuner

I'm interested in one as well, I believe they are supposed to adjust the speedo to tire ratio , tranny shift points, raise speed limiter as well as retreive trouble codes.

Someone that has one will chime in here soon to give us low down on or if it is even worth getting one.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:25 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Superchip micro tuner

I am very satisfied with mine. There is no speedo correction though.Firmed up shift points by allowing you to raise the shift pressure, you can change shift points at wot.No more speed limiter.i would reccommend one

Old 08-08-2003, 08:10 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Superchip micro tuner

Only a TruSpeed or dealer can calibrate the V10's speedometer.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:41 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Superchip micro tuner

I am running a Max Micro Tuner in my E-350. It was the easiest up grade I have ever done. I moved the shift points to aid my towing and installed the performance tuning. The improvement showed instantly. I have put 4000 mi. on the van since the install. I am still using 87 octaine with no sign of a knock. Also top end is well into triple digits.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:49 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Superchip micro tuner

You're getting knock, but its not always loud enough to be heard. It'll show if you ever tear down the engine... piston damage will be evident. If you've never seen a piston destroyed by spark-knock, well, it's not pretty. It can be sudden, like a cracked piston, or slow pitting that eats away at it. There's a reason why it says premium is required. Keep driving it with 87 and eventually engine damage will occur (and is probably occuring now). I wouldn't drive 40 miles on a chip or tuner with 87, much less 4000!

Old 08-08-2003, 09:57 AM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Superchip micro tuner

Very happy with my SCMT. Search this V10 forum back about 10 months and you will see a lot of posts on the SCMT and the V10, esp. from Daryl and I. I got it here from Ken / motorhaven - help support the site!

Old 08-08-2003, 10:30 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Superchip micro tuner

I will make the change today.

Old 08-08-2003, 05:44 PM
wagner63w
New User
Superchip micro tuner

Thanks for all the information guys. In think i will be giving the guys at motorhaven a call :-)

Old 08-11-2003, 03:04 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Superchip micro tuner

Originally posted by shorebird
I will make the change today.
Good idea, Ken's pretty stinkin knowledgeable about that kind of stuff, I'd trust his judgment. That's the only reason (well besides funds, or lack thereof, 8 months without a paycheck gives new meaning to the word desperate for a job) I haven't gone to a chip yet. ALthough there are flip chips and the like which gives you the opportunity to change from factory to hot rod specs, I still worried about having 1/2 a tank of 92 octane and 1/2 reg. Besides the 30 cent upcharge for premium in my area. Now that I'm back to towing my trailer alot more I am considering again a chip (plus I finally talked someone into hiring me) although a big reason for a chip to me is the tranny changes, which in another post here the option of a mechanical change was said to be preferable to an electronic shift upgrade. So over all, were you happy with the results ? How much did the tuner effect your shift points ? Were you able to preset the rpm in which the tranny shifts, or was it just firmer, faster shifting ? How about coming in and out of OD ? Does it stay in OD longer ? That's the one thing I'd like to have. I normally tow in OD and it rarely comes out unless I'm climbing a big hill. But even then it feels like I could pull it in OD if I could apply more throttle without shifting into third. That's the one thing I always hated about my PSD with the auto. You could never take advantage of the torque, it would downshift long before you could use the lower rpm torque. That's a goofy set-up in my estimation, why would a diesel have an automatic that was tuned for a high revvin gas motor ? And no, I'm too lazy to have a manual tranny. And there's WAY to much traffic here in Portland Oregon to do that much clutch work. But I'd never have another oilburner with an automatic, it's self defeating. Besides, after towing with this V-10, I'll never go back to the diesel, it's just WAY too much fun having them ten cylinders revvin.